Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

I find moaning about the temperature at Murrayfield a bit bizarre, especially when it comes from football fans. Firhill in January is a darn sight colder than Murrayfield. A list of my top twenty coldest sports experiences would contain far more football games than it would hockey. It's one aspect that has me often choosing hockey over football once the clocks change.
The EIHL of today is much better in almost every aspect than the EIHL of ten years ago. Considering teams from the UK have turned over Czech teams and Swiss teams in four of six Champions Leagues games this season shows that the hockey on offer here isn't that far away from those leagues. Many of the arguments posed in the "Sticking up for Scottish Football" thread over in the main forum could be transposed to a "Sticking up for British Hockey" thread.

Well said.

I thoroughly enjoy what's on offer in The EIHL....there is absolutely nothing that can beat watching a game in the flesh. I've tried several times to watch NHL on telly and just cannot get in to it at all but love going to see Stars games at DIA or further afield.

Comparing an essentially 15 year old league to something that has been established for a century or so would be pure daft anyway.

Cardiff also lost 10-1 to a Swiss team and I would put money on Panthers still not qualifying.

It's definitely better than what it was in the short time I have followed although I don't think many people see it as near the level of the ISL.

Not that I give a f**k. Have never understood the quality of the game argument when it is your team in any sport. Fair enough if you come from abroad - pal of mine tried to get into A-League football and says it is just shite.

Edited by invergowrie arab

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Cardiff also lost 10-1 to a Swiss team and I would put money on Panthers still not qualifying.

I saw TPS in the Champions League last season. This year's Panthers team just need to beat them on home ice to qualify, not the easiest task but they're certainly in with a shout the way they've been playing. One of their goals against Bern was an absolute beauty worthy of any level.

Besides, nobody was claiming British teams were the best in Europe.

Has the idea of goal line technology been put to bed? It all went a bit quiet last season and last night's game in Dundee just highlighted the need.

I saw TPS in the Champions League last season. This year's Panthers team just need to beat them on home ice to qualify, not the easiest task but they're certainly in with a shout the way they've been playing. One of their goals against Bern was an absolute beauty worthy of any level.
Besides, nobody was claiming British teams were the best in Europe.
Has the idea of goal line technology been put to bed? It all went a bit quiet last season and last night's game in Dundee just highlighted the need.

It's apparently happening for League games but doesn't have to be used in Challenge Cup or Friendly games, at least that's what i read somewhere.

16 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's definitely better than what it was in the short time I have followed although I don't think many people see it as near the level of the ISL.

Not that I give a f**k. Have never understood the quality of the game argument when it is your team in any sport. Fair enough if you come from abroad - pal of mine tried to get into A-League football and says it is just shite.

This was my point, I watched the EIHL as I supported my local team. But trying to attract foreign students who are used to watching high level hockey to watch one of the worst teams in the league at an empty rink isn't working for Edinburgh

The Scottish Cup was a good weekend, despite a poor attendance due to organisation miscalculations.

Semi finals:
Fife looked very good against Dundee, their top lines of Heelis, Bloodoff and LeBlanc played some very nice hockey for so early in the season. Gauthier had his moments too.
Braehead were too good for the Caps, kept things tight, took their chances and didn't make mistakes. Some poor decision making from Edinburgh cost them and Jay King might be out for a while after getting hit into the boards at an awkward angle.

3rd place:
Dundee are just not very good this year. Edinburgh scored from two breakaways and a powerplay but didn't really create too much otherwise. There are some skilled players on the team: Banashkov, Tvrdon and Cazzola look the pick and Vorobyov is yet to arrive, but none of the lines look balanced or like they know what each other are up to. After all the talk of Shegalo being a real weakness for the Caps, he gets the clubs second shutout this decade. There were hints of rough stuff, Stefishen and D'Orazio both taking roughing penalties after Stars were being overly friendly with Cazzola. Khristich benched all of the Brits other than Duncan Speirs (who's looked very assured following his step up from Solway). Nobody really wants to see that and the fans weren't happy but you can't really argue with it when you win 3-0 and play much better than the previous night.

Final:
I had Fife down as pretty heavy favourites. They dominated the first period but went into the break one offside goal to the worse. Clan changed their gameplan in the second and were hitting the Fifers all over the rink, completely putting them off their game. In the third all the rough stuff from the second came home and there were seven fights, there were eleven men in the penalty boxes at one point. The stewards intervened on a couple of occasions after Fife fans resorted to type. Good thing there's no beer in the stands at Murrayfield. Burt may be the skinniest D-man I've ever seen but he was exceptional for the Clan and logged a lot of minutes.

A couple of the Dundee fans were pissing everyone off and there was a bit of bother when they were swearing at loud volume in the bar with children around (the least of their crimes in my opinion. There were another lot who ended up shouting at each other because of some domestics.

It was a tough first year for the tournament but despite my misgivings I think it has a lot of potential. Hopefully they've learnt some lessons by next year in Kirkcaldy.

I'd be surprised it Caps or Dundee made the playoffs, especially with MK and Guildford's results last night. Clan and Fife both look like they should have good years.

If ever I feel a bit down and just need a good laugh I like to read the Facebook comments on the Flyers page. Recent classics include someone saying as a trophy was up for grabs, the Scottish cup shouldn't be considered pre-season and comparing it to the playoff weekend. People declaring the season is now over after losing in the final. And the old classic, "we need a player like Nickerson" comments.

The same fans that used to pride themselves on not signing goons and that booed London Racers off the ice because they were a physical side, now seem to think signing some big meathead with no self control will solve their problems. Best fans in the league

Edited by Torpar

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/10/2017 at 07:11, DiegoDiego said:

Well, they did it with a game to spare. Into the last sixteen, a great achievement. Devils winning last night as well.

Shows what I know. 

Devils is still a massive result but Vaxjo had already qualified.

Turku needed a win and I couldn't see anything but Panthers getting ragdolled by them.

On 06/09/2017 at 22:55, invergowrie arab said:

Murrayfield is simply an awful viewing experience. I was OK with it to begin with for the romance of it but having been about a dozen times now the sightlines, temperature leg room and catering facilities are all just the pits.

This with a Stars/Caps crowd of about 7/800? Goodness knows what it will be like this weekend.

A city with Edinburgh's catchment and student/international population should easily get 2/3K on the gate every night with the right rink and team.

I've only just discovered there's and Ice hockey thread on Pie & Bovril!!!  :)

Anyways, I absolutely 200Million% agree with Arab here!

I do love going to watch a game of Ice Hockey,  but HATE having to be in Murrayfield  ice rink to see it!  Utter dump of a venue.

As you say with Edinburgh's catchment area they should be getting much bigger crowds than they do.

I think as in Glasgow, if Edinburgh had an "Arena" with posh seats and modern facilities, certainly I could see them get 2 or 3k fans each weekend.

24 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

I've only just discovered there's and Ice hockey thread on Pie & Bovril!!!  :)

Anyways, I absolutely 200Million% agree with Arab here!

I do love going to watch a game of Ice Hockey,  but HATE having to be in Murrayfield  ice rink to see it!  Utter dump of a venue.

As you say with Edinburgh's catchment area they should be getting much bigger crowds than they do.

I think as in Glasgow, if Edinburgh had an "Arena" with posh seats and modern facilities, certainly I could see them get 2 or 3k fans each weekend.

Its a shame that there are no plans for an arena in Edinburgh any time soon.  I think an arena would be a good addition to Ocean Terminal, particularly with the tram now being extended out there. Mirror what we have at Braehead. Edinburgh doesnt really have that kind of entertainment venue for concerts/shows.

On 06/10/2017 at 11:50, invergowrie arab said:

Shows what I know. 

Devils is still a massive result but Vaxjo had already qualified.

Turku needed a win and I couldn't see anything but Panthers getting ragdolled by them.

I think a lot of credit needs to be given to Corey Neilson. Panthers have won 10 of the last 16 EIHL knockout tournaments (playoffs* and Challenge Cup), a tremendous achievement, and qualified for the Champions League by winning the Continental Cup. He may struggle over the course of a season but it seems that he knows how to get the best out of his players when it matters.

* yes, yes, home advantage and all that

On 06/10/2017 at 12:20, BallochSonsFan said:

Its a shame that there are no plans for an arena in Edinburgh any time soon.  I think an arena would be a good addition to Ocean Terminal, particularly with the tram now being extended out there. Mirror what we have at Braehead. Edinburgh doesnt really have that kind of entertainment venue for concerts/shows.

I always thought that derelict site/car park at Haymarket would have been good, or at the new St. James' instead of another cinema. Ocean Terminal/Newhaven is a good shout though. Edinburgh really could do with a mid-size venue if it wants to be the world class city it purports itself to be.

On 07/10/2017 at 23:48, #Gary said:

Thank f**k for Dundee or Clan would be bottom of the league this year. Absolute shambles of a team.

Dundee are truly shocking. Clan will get their shit together sooner or later. Fife look a very decent team. Caps are improving, especially with Vorobyov sorting out his visa issues, Tvrdon back from his three-game suspension and Nyqvist recruited in D. The Tvrdon-Cazzola-Anderson line looks dangerous.

Banashkov has been scoring some lovely goals:

Caps have been down a few players for a while now. D'Orazio with concussion after a dirty hit, Stefishen doing his leg in after blocking a shot. These are excusable. Khristich takes a different line with Valeev and Banashkov who are out with flu:

illness, it’s pathetic. We weren’t expecting a situation like this. We weren’t ready medically to deal with this, but it’s a two-way thing. Our players are professional and they should be able to take care of themselves. When they’re ill they need the right medical help, but they shouldn’t be getting ill in the first place.

Never in my life have I heard a coach criticise players for being sick.