The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

Got a 6.5ltr slow cooker arriving from Amazon in the next few days. My very first one at the age of 42, think I'll start slowly with bolognese and stews and the like before I get adventurous and make a donner kebab.

14 hours ago, stimpy said:

Got a 6.5ltr slow cooker arriving from Amazon in the next few days. My very first one at the age of 42, think I'll start slowly with bolognese and stews and the like before I get adventurous and make a donner kebab.

The kebab's incredibly easy. Mix together lamb mince and a load of herbs/spices, shape it, wrap it in tinfoil, place on a bed of onions and stick it on low for 4-5 hours. Delicious.

The kebab's incredibly easy. Mix together lamb mince and a load of herbs/spices, shape it, wrap it in tinfoil, place on a bed of onions and stick it on low for 4-5 hours. Delicious.

Yeah it does look easy just need to buy the spices, I usually cook traditional kind of fare so will probably be constantly filled with stew type things.
I do all the cooking in the house so the thought of coming home and just spooning out portions and eating is very appealing.

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

A couple of similar recipes didn't specify tin foil and i never had any in so i hope its still alright. Coming out at 6 so hopefully it hasn't dried out. 

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

What's the point of the bed of onions here?  Is it just to provide you with stewed onions?

The onion flavour will still ooze through the doner meat though, my main concern is the meat drying out as i haven't put any foil around it. With under 2 hours of cooking time to go would there be any point in wrapping foil around it now?

6 minutes ago, throbber said:

The onion flavour will still ooze through the doner meat though, my main concern is the meat drying out as i haven't put any foil around it. With under 2 hours of cooking time to go would there be any point in wrapping foil around it now?

I've never used a crockpot so can't be certain but it's only cooking at, maybe, 95 degrees.  You'd likely lose more moisture taking the lid off to check than you would leaving it alone.

29 minutes ago, throbber said:

You should get one Kincardine they are great.

There's no need, throbby.  I like slow cooking but prep everything in a cast iron casserole that's older than you then put it in a low* oven for hours.  Achieves the same thing but means less to wash up.

*low in temperature rather than height.

BTW1 rice pudding needs a burnt skin.  Crock pots don't do this.

BTW2 cheese and biscuits almost always pishes over pudding.  Both is perfect.

30 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

There's no need, throbby.  I like slow cooking but prep everything in a cast iron casserole that's older than you then put it in a low* oven for hours.  Achieves the same thing but means less to wash up.

Her rice pudding had a burnt skin. It looked disgusting. 

They're still quite cheap though and they're a piece of piss to clean. I don't use mine that often but I like using it.