The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

I've given up on the slow cooker, I got a good pot which slow cooks things in half the time. Made a shin of beef casserole in about 3 hrs. I was never organised enough to get the slow on early enough so any dinner in it wouldn't be ready til about 9 at night!

I done a beef and stout stew last night. Tasted it last night and it was only alright. Hoping the second day will be nicer. Ill be disgusted if its not nice after what i spent on it. Had to buy worcester sauce, mustard powder, redcurrant jelly, Guinness and 1.5 kg of beef. Im scared to add to much salt but i think thats whats up.

A third of a chorizo sausage (diced), a red onion, garlic, half a red pepper, a chinese insanity pepper, 2 tomatoes, some passata and a tin of chickpeas. Nutmeg, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Cook for a few hours then add a few chunks of black pudding. After another hour stick in half a bag of spinach (finely chopped) for 15 minutes and you have the finest baked bean alternative known to man.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

Have made beef, pork and lamb recipes in the slow cooker of late and they have all said either put it on for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low although for all other teriyaki chicken slow cooker recipes i have found it recommends only the high setting. Putting it on for 8 hours would have been more convenient for me with my plans today.

Finally got round to doing Cochinita Pibil today. Will report back later with the results. Looks like I'll have enough to do me for about 2 weeks though.

ETA: Still not done. Fucking starving. Plus side I get to see Motherwell pump the Dandies.

ETA: I'd post a photo but am clearly incapable of doing so. Very nice all the same.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

I'm doing lamb in the slow cooker today. 5kg shoulder piece. Was swithering over low, medium or high setting. Went for high for 4 hours. Don't have time for 8 hours unless I wan't to be eating at 8pm.

This is the first time we've used the slow cooker in ages. That seems to suggest we didn't see what all the fuss was about last time we used it.

• 4 months later...

I just inherited one of these fuckers and have bunged a load of stuff (braised beef, red wine, thyme, carrots, onions, garlic, stock and a few other things) in it to hopefully enjoy for my dinner later. May even post a pic if it's a success. This seems a nice thread to bump too. No front bottoms or muckiness.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 08:21, Shandon Par said:

I just inherited one of these fuckers and have bunged a load of stuff (braised beef, red wine, thyme, carrots, onions, garlic, stock and a few other things) in it to hopefully enjoy for my dinner later. May even post a pic if it's a success. This seems a nice thread to bump too. No front bottoms or muckiness.

Did you switch it on?

42 minutes ago, locheedfcno1 said:

Anyone ever done a Thai green or red curry in slow cooker? If so recipe if any good

My 2nd thing was a Thai red curry. Always made them in the hob before. Still need to do a bit of frying to start.

My recipe... 

Marinade chicken - a bit of chili, garlic, oil

gently fry shallots, garlic, red chilli, ginger, lemongrass. Once soft, stir in a bit of Thai red curry paste.

can of coconut milk - stir in the cream from the top. 

Shove it all in slow cooker.

If you like the chicken a bit browned, fry it then chuck it in (otherwise just bung it in the cooker)

add the rest of the coconut milk from the can.

Add a couple of desert spoons of fish sauce.

add cayenne pepper

Add either chopped coriander or chopped Thai basil (and a bit more to garnish)

Edited by Shandon Par

5 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

I'm staying well clear of that clusterfuck.

I was going to raise the tone with some pics of the Miss Hungary contest (long story) but decided to put them in NSFW. Almost as tasty as my Thai red curry.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has bought a slow cooker, going to try a few of these recipes.

She has also bought a load of jars for fermenting vegetables. We currently have our first batch of sauerkraut on the kitchen windowsill.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, gingette said:

I'm about to pop my slow cooker cherry and am looking for some advice.

I really fancy making stoves (with sausages). Can anyone recommend a recipe?

Cheers much.

There is an excellent recipe posted a few times on this thread by Unleash the Nade. Have a look, it works brilliantly.