The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

Hello all slow cookers - I'm looking for some advice.

I'm doing a shoulder of pork in mine this afternoon, it's in just now with some onions, garlic, chicken stock, salt, cinnamon, sugar, chilli and cumin.

The question is, do I turn this thing over halfway through or something? It seems unfathomably big to cook in this meagre amount of liquid. Expecting folk for about 4-4.30.

My only slow cooker experience thus far was a god awful beef bourgignon about a year ago, and I don't want to similarly f**k this up.

Broke out my new cooker but its not what i wanted. The timer only goes up to two hours. Made rice pudding but think i didnt use enough milk because the rice was still a bit hard inside. Little bit disappointed. Lamb curry next. My job uses a lot of coconut oil so i can get as much of that as i want. Anyone use it?

Edited by Nkomo-A-Gogo

Broke out my new cooker but its not what i wanted. The timer only goes up to two hours. Made rice pudding but think i didnt use enough milk because the rice was still a bit hard inside. Little bit disappointed. Lamb curry next. My job uses a lot of coconut oil so i can get as much of that as i want. Anyone use it?

I always use coconut oil in a curry if I've got any. Makes it taste more South Indian/Sri Lankan. Highly recommended. Also, the Scotch Broth was an absolute triumph. Cooked it for about 15 hours. My flat does smell a bit of cabbage though.

I made a triumph of an emergency dinner last week in mine. I had 3 chicken thighs and some assorted veg (potatoes, carrots, onions etc.). Hacked it all up roughly, added salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, a bit of chilli, garlic and some chicken stock. Added a couple of spoonfuls of cracked wheat to soak up the liquid a bit.

Turned out to be an absolute gem of a dinner, when in fact it started as a week-before-pay-day-f**k-all-in-the-fridge meal.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably said already, but I'm too lazy to go through 30 pages.

Get one with that ceramic insert that can be lifted out. Very little reducing of liquid happens in a slow-cooker, so the best thing to do is leave it on while at work, then get home, bang the oven on hot and fling the ceramic dish in to reduce.

My favourite recipe is a basic italian brisket cooked in red wine and veg. Decent-sized brisket, 2/3 of a bottle of nice red, celery, onions, garlic, carrot, rosemary, thyme, You can add black olives, peas or artichokes if you like.

When moving to the oven stir in some gremolata to bring it back to life. Give it an hour in there and serve with either baby potatoes done in oven with rosemary or polenta.

Never made them in my SC yet but was going to try them next.

I suppose you would just make them the same as normal.

There was a Stovies thread some time ago and there are lots of different recipes,but here's mine.

Peel and slice potatoes into discs approx half a centimetre thick.

Brown off 8 steak slice sausage,drain on kitcehn paper to absorb excess fat,then cut into pieces about one inch square.

Fry one and a half onions gently until golden in colour.

Get a pint of beef stock. A cube will do ,but fresh made or supermarket pre made is better.

In bottom of SC arrange a layer of potato,then add pepper (no salt as you'll get this from stock)

Then add layer of sausage and onion.

Another layer of potato and season,then another of sausage and so on.

Once all layers are complete,pour in stock and cook on low heat for approx 6 hours.

When ready,if all stock hasnt been absorbed,I would drain some off then mash.

Dont mash too much as I think it best if you still have soime chunks of tattie.

Serve with buttered oat cakes, or buttered plain bead ..brown sauce optional

Enjoy

If you haven't tried this yet, still one of the best dishes to make in a slow cooker, especially in this weather

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...