The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

Saw Raymond Blanc cook a mother of a rice pudding the other night and put me in the mood for some,as havent had it for years (rice pudding before anyone states the obvious!).

Are you just bunging all the ingredients in the sc and/or addin any special flavouring?

The one he did,he caramalised the top like a Creme Brulee

I put a wee bit cinnamon and nutmeg in with the sugar and milk, the rice and bunged it all in. I left it too long to be honest. It said 6 hours but 4-4 1/2 would've done it, it was a wee bit over done. The top was starting to skin up, prob wouldve been nice with the blow torch on it or under grill but couldnae be bothered!!!

I put a wee bit cinnamon and nutmeg in with the sugar and milk, the rice and bunged it all in. I left it too long to be honest. It said 6 hours but 4-4 1/2 would've done it, it was a wee bit over done. The top was starting to skin up, prob wouldve been nice with the blow torch on it or under grill but couldnae be bothered!!!

Im goping to try this at the weekend.

I take it you suggest 4-4.5 hours at low heat?

Yes, and maybe a wee stir after 2 hours ;)

1 cup rice

5 cups milk

1/2 cup sugar

cinnamon/nutmeg/vanilla (to your own taste)

Have a batch of this simmering away just now.

I've subsituted one cup of milk for one of single cream and added a vanilla pod and some dried apricots.

Yes, and maybe a wee stir after 2 hours ;)

1 cup rice

5 cups milk

1/2 cup sugar

cinnamon/nutmeg/vanilla (to your own taste)

Have a batch of this simmering away just now.

I've subsituted one cup of milk for one of single cream and added a vanilla pod and some dried apricots.

It turned out shite!

Just wasn't creamy enough and basically had very little flavour,despite all the additional ingredients.

Gutted!:(

It turned out shite!

Just wasn't creamy enough and basically had very little flavour,despite all the additional ingredients.

Gutted!:(

Aw pants! :( Maybe more cream? I don't like mine too creamy as I usually have it with some stewed fruit or something. Better luck next time!!

Aw pants! :( Maybe more cream? I don't like mine too creamy as I usually have it with some stewed fruit or something. Better luck next time!!

I also couldn't get short grain rice or pudding rice anywhere and had to use normal long grain,which I dont think is as good fro rice pudding.

I used 4 cups of full fat milk and onecup of single cream,as I thought this would make it creamy enough withoput going OTT.

Someone I spoke to uses condensed milk,but I think I'd gag if it was made using this.

My first slow cooker failure..........gutted :(

We had ours recently too, chicken curry. Chicken was perfect but the sauce was boggin'. Ended up just lobbing in loads of curry powder at the end to make it taste edible for that nights meal. The rest went in the bin :(

Will try a Jalfrezi next time.

I also couldn't get short grain rice or pudding rice anywhere and had to use normal long grain,which I dont think is as good fro rice pudding.

I used 4 cups of full fat milk and onecup of single cream,as I thought this would make it creamy enough withoput going OTT.

Someone I spoke to uses condensed milk,but I think I'd gag if it was made using this.

I think using pudding rice will make a difference!

(You can get it in Tesco and Sainsbury's here - not seen it in Asda though.)

try risotto rice if you can't get pudding rice

• 1 month later...

A mate of mine was coming round for a few beers and a BBQ this weekend, not going to happen with the weather. So my back-up plan is the pulled pork, the last few hours of cooking time are going to be agonising, I may have to go out to stop myself craving to open it early haha.

Edited by sky+remote

A mate of mine was coming round for a few beers and a BBQ this weekend, not going to happen with the weather. So my back-up plan is the pulled pork, the last few hours of cooking time are going to be agonising, I may have to go out to stop myself craving to open it early haha.

Hope it turns out well.

Dont forget, a wee bit sauce striired through at the end and some grated cheese and jalapinos sliced thinly with the pork on a roll make all the difference

Hope it turns out well.

Dont forget, a wee bit sauce striired through at the end and some grated cheese and jalapinos sliced thinly with the pork on a roll make all the difference

Yeah, I learnt that one last time, threw it under the grill to melt the cheese too!