The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

The discussions on here are basically forcing my hand to buy a slow cooker.

I hope the hype is true :)

Edit to ask, what size is best to go for :unsure:

depends, is it for you on yer own or do you have a large family? Obviously don't get a huge one if it's just you and yer missus...

Cant belive I've only just fund this thread. Use the slow cooker at least twice a week and it easily covers dinner for at least 4 nights. Love it.

Making Peri Peri chicken tonight from the Jamie Oliver 30-min meal cookbook. Would highly recommend it in the slow cooker. Having it with dices sweet potato and feta cheese.

Getting in aboot this stovie recipe this week as well. In fact I'll be in Asda later today picking up the square sausage!!

Got a good beef caserole recipe I'll share with you all tonight. Any good recipes for vegetarians? The missus is over this weekend dry.gif

Cant belive I've only just fund this thread. Use the slow cooker at least twice a week and it easily covers dinner for at least 4 nights. Love it.

Making Peri Peri chicken tonight from the Jamie Oliver 30-min meal cookbook. Would highly recommend it in the slow cooker. Having it with dices sweet potato and feta cheese.

Getting in aboot this stovie recipe this week as well. In fact I'll be in Asda later today picking up the square sausage!!

Got a good beef caserole recipe I'll share with you all tonight. Any good recipes for vegetarians? The missus is over this weekend dry.gif

/quote]

4 Cups potatoes, peeled and quartered 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets <LI>¾ teaspoon ground turmeric <LI>½ teaspoon chilli powder <LI>1½ teaspoon ground cumin <LI>¾ teaspoon salt <LI>big pinch of sugar <LI>2 tomatoes, chopped <LI>1 ¼ cups water <LI>½ teaspoon garam masala Bung all ingredients into slow cooker and cook on low for approximately six hours.

Mind you,cauliflower and curry quite a potent combo!

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Chicken legs and thighs with a chinese style stock. (stock, ginger, chillies, five spice, sugar, soy sauce, shoising wine)

Serving with noodles in a big bowl with the stock as a sort of soup with the chicken shredded off the bone. Hope it's nice!

Sounds brilliant

Interested to hear your verdict and if good,recipe quantities please

4 Cups potatoes, peeled and quartered 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets <LI>¾ teaspoon ground turmeric <LI>½ teaspoon chilli powder <LI>1½ teaspoon ground cumin <LI>¾ teaspoon salt <LI>big pinch of sugar <LI>2 tomatoes, chopped <LI>1 ¼ cups water <LI>½ teaspoon garam masala Bung all ingredients into slow cooker and cook on low for approximately six hours.

Mind you,cauliflower and curry quite a potent combo!

Cheers for that. Sounds the sort of thing she'd enjoy while I feed my face some stovie goodness.

Chicken legs and thighs with a chinese style stock. (stock, ginger, chillies, five spice, sugar, soy sauce, shoising wine)

Serving with noodles in a big bowl with the stock as a sort of soup with the chicken shredded off the bone. Hope it's nice!

CHINSE CHICKEN HOT POT

1 whole chicken (or I used some legs and thighs coz there was just two of us)

1 litre water

1 litre chicken stock

500ml chinese cooking wine

125 ml light soy sauce

80ml oyster sauce

75g light brown sugar

4 garlic cloves (bruised)

2" ginger peeled and sliced

3 star anise

1 tsp chinese 5 spice

2 red chillies

Put chicken in slow cooker. Combine all ingredients and pour over chicken Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Remove chicken, strain broth and discard solids. Keep chicken warm ( i removed all skin and bones) Add pak choi (if you like)to stock and put back in slow cooker or in a pan for 5 mins til wilted.

I added a tblsp of fish sauce and juice of half a lime as well.

Put egg noodles in a large bowl, put chcken on top and ladle over broth (as much as you want!!) I also topped mine with more chilli, spring onions and coriander.

This would easily serve 6 if a whole chicken is used. There was loads of broth left (as there was just the 2 of us).

ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!!

CHINSE CHICKEN HOT POT

1 whole chicken (or I used some legs and thighs coz there was just two of us)

1 litre water

1 litre chicken stock

500ml chinese cooking wine

125 ml light soy sauce

80ml oyster sauce

75g light brown sugar

4 garlic cloves (bruised)

2" ginger peeled and sliced

3 star anise

1 tsp chinese 5 spice

2 red chillies

Put chicken in slow cooker. Combine all ingredients and pour over chicken Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Remove chicken, strain broth and discard solids. Keep chicken warm ( i removed all skin and bones) Add pak choi (if you like)to stock and put back in slow cooker or in a pan for 5 mins til wilted.

I added a tblsp of fish sauce and juice of half a lime as well.

Put egg noodles in a large bowl, put chcken on top and ladle over broth (as much as you want!!) I also topped mine with more chilli, spring onions and coriander.

This would easily serve 6 if a whole chicken is used. There was loads of broth left (as there was just the 2 of us).

ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!!

This sounds absolutely brilliant and can't wait to try it out.

Where did you get the Chinese cooking wine?

If I can't get it, would normal white wine suffice?

Cheers

Has anyone attempted a bolognese in it? The missus tried it tonight and it wasn't the best, I reckon she used too much liquid as it was quite wattery.

Anyone got a recipe for it in a slow cooker?

Has anyone attempted a bolognese in it? The missus tried it tonight and it wasn't the best, I reckon she used too much liquid as it was quite wattery.

Anyone got a recipe for it in a slow cooker?

Try this

http://www.easydinnerrecipes.co.uk/tasty-spaghetti-bolognese.html

Not doubting your wifes cooking ability,but did she brown off the mince first and drain of excess liquid before transferring to Slow Cooker?

Slow cookers also create a lot of steam which condenses on the lid and as a result adds more liquid to whatever your cooking.

I always tend to add a wee bit less liquid than most recepies suggest

Beef casserole today.

I also made dauphinoise potatoes in it at the weekend.

Not many folk using it these days?????? :unsure:

When the club was formed,Reina was nominated President,but to be honest,of late she's done very little to keep the spirit of the P&B S.C.O.C alive.

I therefore propose that she is duly removed from this position and you,Footiechick , take over as President.

All those in favour say"!Aye"