The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

Put it in an hour before the end and stir it in.

Alternatively forget the cornflower and remove the lid and set it on high for the last hour or so. Will reduce and thicken nicely.

Edited by Big Gus

I just put it in on it's own. Never much, mind. Some of it congeals and might make you go "eeww" but if you leave the lid on for another hour and give it a good stir it'll be all blended in when serving.

Edited by Big Gus

• 2 weeks later...

Straight in on it's own or mixed with water?

Remember, if you are mixing it with water, make sure it's cold water, if not it goes like wallpaper paste. Not very nice!

I did the chicken stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon in BBQ sauce tonight, very tasty!

Anybody ever tried cooking a whole chicken in the slow cooker? Or seen any recipes?

• 5 weeks later...

Chinese chicken hotpot on today.

Yummmmmmmm

Traditionally a mostly a winter thing,but wev'e been using ours quite a bit lately,due to the unseasonal weather!

Going to do similar to the pulled pork,but with a cut of lamb and some hotter spices,shred just lkie the pork and pout pomegranate seeds through it = Morrocan Jewelled Spicy Lamb

• 3 weeks later...

Invested in one of these the other day and it's cracking. However, I must have added too much water the other day, as when I returned home from work, it spilled over to the sides and left burnt black stains in the inside :(.

Also, is the quality of meat important for slow cooking? i thought slow cooking anything results in tender meat (didn't seem to happen to my cheap supermarket pork?)

Edited by JogaBonito

Invested in one of these the other day and it's cracking. However, I must have added too much water the other day, as when I returned home from work, it spilled over to the sides and left burnt black stains in the inside :(.

Also, is the quality of meat important for slow cooking? i thought slow cooking anything results in tender meat (didn't seem to happen to my cheap supermarket pork?)

Usually, cheaper cuts benefit from slow cooking because it's, erm, slowly cooked. Did you cook it on high or low? Next time, try the opposite. If you did it on high, it maybe didn't cook long enough.

Chicken is very hit or miss - usually miss, particularly chicken breasts. I've had a couple of great chicken curries out of mine, but most of the time, it's just not juicy or firm enough.

• 1 month later...

Beef & Veg stew in today

Shin of beef

Carrots

Onion

Turnip

Pint Beef stock

2 tbsp Worc sauce

2 tbsp tomato puree

1 tsp english mustard

couple sprigs rosemary

6 hours on low

Definetly getting into SC weather again.

I shall be dusting mine down soon,as I detect I may be suffering slighlty from S.D.D.... stovie deficiency disorder!

Beef & Veg stew in today

Shin of beef

Carrots

Onion

Turnip

Pint Beef stock

2 tbsp Worc sauce

2 tbsp tomato puree

1 tsp english mustard

couple sprigs rosemary

6 hours on low

Do you do anything before hand, or just chuck it all in at once and turn it on?

I have a couple of slow cooker recipe books, but nearly all the recipes involve a bit of cooking in a pan etc before putting in the SC. They do turn out nice, but bit of a pain in the arse especially if you want to stick it on in the morning so it's ready when you get in in the evening. Frying off onions, spices, meat isn't something I really feel like at 7 in the morning!

Do you do anything before hand, or just chuck it all in at once and turn it on?

I have a couple of slow cooker recipe books, but nearly all the recipes involve a bit of cooking in a pan etc before putting in the SC. They do turn out nice, but bit of a pain in the arse especially if you want to stick it on in the morning so it's ready when you get in in the evening. Frying off onions, spices, meat isn't something I really feel like at 7 in the morning!

I don't think it makes that much difference to be honest. If I'm short on time I just bung it all in, and maybe the sauce will need thickening later but that's fine.

Love my stews, hotpots etc in autumn and winter :)

I'm on an economy, make what's in the freezer last drive! So I'm defrosting a whole chicken and them I'll joint it. Breasts for fijita's tomorrow and then I'm going to use the thighs, plus a couple more from freezer for a slow cooker thai curry and the carcus I'll do stock for minestrone soup!