The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

The best dry BBQ rub I've used is one called Bonfire Rub from Asda

Yea, I actually spotted that in store the other day, but I had numerous other rubs in the house to use, like nando's Piri piri, which was quite nice on some chicken.

I have now made a casserole a few times now, different types of meat and selected veg. I put enough liquid (mixtures of stock/wine etc) to almost cover all the meat/veg, then obviously the meat/veg release their own juices and there is almost far too much liquid, am I putting too much liquid in? Or is it common to have to use cornflour to thicken casserole sauces?

I have now made a casserole a few times now, different types of meat and selected veg. I put enough liquid (mixtures of stock/wine etc) to almost cover all the meat/veg, then obviously the meat/veg release their own juices and there is almost far too much liquid, am I putting too much liquid in? Or is it common to have to use cornflour to thicken casserole sauces?

Yes the liquid can be a bit thin sometimes. If I'm not eating it right away, I put it in a pan and reduce the sauce to thicken it a bit.

My beef stew was very tasty indeed, served with mashed tattie :)

Depending on what I'm cooking, I'll either add cornflour to it, or my preferred method of thickening a soup or stew is to take out around a third of the vegetables, blend them into a puree and pour them back in. Thickens it all up really well.

Depending on what I'm cooking, I'll either add cornflour to it, or my preferred method of thickening a soup or stew is to take out around a third of the vegetables, blend them into a puree and pour them back in. Thickens it all up really well.

This is the best method for thickening up anything you don't want to add flour to :)

I cant believe I have only just found this club!

I bought one last weekend, its preparing my beef and ale stew as we speak, friday night stew and dumplings!

any recipes and tips are greatly appreciated my fellow Slow Cookers!

They are absolutely brilliant machines. I made the pulled pork recipe that Unleash The Nade posted for dinner last night and it was tremendous. His stovies recipe was also superb.... he should write a book!!

Oh right, thanks.

Which also means you can go for cheaper cuts, also get some veggies that are in season and voila! You have a beautiful cheap meal. Do a couple of stews over the weekend, devide it up into tupperware boxes and you have meals for the week.

There's very little preparation, stick the ingredients in, switch it on and go back in a few hours.

Which also means you can go for cheaper cuts, also get some veggies that are in season and voila! You have a beautiful cheap meal. Do a couple of stews over the weekend, devide it up into tupperware boxes and you have meals for the week.

There's very little preparation, stick the ingredients in, switch it on and go back in a few hours.

Sounds good :)

So...what size should I get? Thinking of using it for a number of uses - only 2 of us in the house, but could be used to make slow cooked curries etc...

Any recommendations?

I got a 3.5l one from ASDA which was only about £12 and it does the two of us fine. There's normally enough left for a couple of smaller portions too

I got a 3.5l one from ASDA which was only about £12 and it does the two of us fine. There's normally enough left for a couple of smaller portions too

Magic - will have a look at one over the weekend. And if I do end up getting one, will be on this thread like a rabid dug roon a pound o' mince... ;)

So...what size should I get? Thinking of using it for a number of uses - only 2 of us in the house, but could be used to make slow cooked curries etc...

Any recommendations?

Slow cooked curries are awesome.

Really easy to make

Stick in some chicken/beef, Pataks madras curry paste, onions, green peppers and some water.

Mine was £7 out of Asda!

I cant believe how cheap they are now adays, can you put your pot on hob or in the oven?

I am going to give UtN's stovies a go on Sunday, roughly how much tatties are required for the 8 slice sausage?