The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

There's no need, throbby.  I like slow cooking but prep everything in a cast iron casserole that's older than you

I've got a cast iron casserole dish that used to belong to my Great gran (fly with the angles) and is probably my favourite pot to cook with.

I did see a similar one in the Museum when they had some exhibition about the 30/40s.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I've got a cast iron casserole dish that used to belong to my Great gran (fly with the angles) and is probably my favourite pot to cook with.

At least you have a pot to piss in...

There is, though, Karma here as my favourite cast iron casserole is my ex wife's granny's.  OTOH she has my own gran's copper jeely pan.  We argued more about these when we got divorced than we did about the kids!

42 minutes ago, throbber said:

A rice cooker really is stupid. I'm not sure how much a cast iron caserole dish would cost but it is surely about the same as a slow cooker.

My slow cooker has a rice cooking function - presumably this makes me a terrible person.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

A rice cooker really is stupid. I'm not sure how much a cast iron caserole dish would cost but it is surely about the same as a slow cooker.

A cast iron casserole dish is much, much more expensive than a slow cooker. 

11 minutes ago, Rugster said:

A cast iron casserole dish is much, much more expensive than a slow cooker. 

£80ish for a casserole dish?  Can be used for several functions including slow cooking.  No idea what a crock pot costs but can only be used for cooking 'stuff' slowly.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

£80ish for a casserole dish?  Can be used for several functions including slow cooking.  No idea what a crock pot costs but can only be used for cooking 'stuff' slowly.

You can get a slow cooker that does everything for £30 max, even as little as £15. 

Just now, Rugster said:

You can get a slow cooker that does everything for £30 max, even as little as £15. 

this is "in addition" to, though.  Plus it's yet another piece of kitchen shite. Slow cooking is good.  Slow cookers are are an unnecessary burden.

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

this is "in addition" to, though.  Plus it's yet another piece of kitchen shite. Slow cooking is good.  Slow cookers are are an unnecessary burden.

I meant everything as in everything a slow cooker can do. I agree a casserole is better, but a slow cooker is handy for convenience. 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I've got a microwave steamer that's great for rice, pour some boiling water in, add the rice, blast it for 10 minutes and you get perfect fluffy rice every time, and just need to rinse it under the tap after. Good for veg too,

veg-rice-steamer.jpg

http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/microwave-rice-and-vegetable-steamer.html

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I meant everything as in everything a slow cooker can do. I agree a casserole is better, but a slow cooker is handy for convenience. 

Just you concentrate on getting Tynie to ban the estimable Tedi and let those who know what we're talking about discuss cooking.

So this has got a bit lost on page 35 of the forum and may be worth a bump.

On 22/10/2013 at 21:55, fanny paddery said:

So i spent the last half hour collating all the recipes on this forum. Simply copy and paste into word and print.

P&B slow cooker recipes

Pork chops in cider

Pork chops (whole, or chopped if you want more of a cassorole look)
large onion
2 apples (I use normal non cooking ones, but cooking apples are fine too)
bottle of cider
some double cream (about half a small pot)
salt and pepper to season

Preparation

chuck all the ingredients in (onions chopped and apple peeled and chopped) and make sure cider covers all ingredients then put on and leave. Just before serving stir in the cream.
low setting about 8 hrs, high setting about 4 hrs

Tip: If you need to thicken it up a bit, I put a bit of cornflour in.

Rice pudding:

75g pudding rice
50g caster sugar
1 litre milk
25g butter
ground nutmeg

Place the rice, sugar and milk into the slow cooker and stir well. Top with shavings of butter and the grated nutmeg. Cook on 'high' for 4 hours. Stir halfway through cooking.

Spag bol:

Mince

chopped tomatoes

mushrooms, onions

tomato passatta

garlic

basil

oregano

then add some pasta about half an hour before you need it. Pop it all in the slow cooker, sprinkle with cheese and stick on low for 8 hours or so, or high for about 4 hours - yummy!

Thai chicken curry:

Diced chicken

coconut milk

green curry paste

a bit more garlic and chilli

some chunky red and green peppers.

Bung into slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or so, or high for about 4 hours.

BBQ chicken:

Stuff chicken breasts with grated cheese and wrap in bacon. Add a jar of bbq sauce (or make your own BBQ sauce if you can be arsed) and cook on low for 8 hours or so, or high for about 4 hours. Serve with potato wedges.

Beef and vegetable casserole

olive oil
1 onion , diced
1 carrot , diced
1 leek, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
75g mushrooms, sliced
500g stewing beef, cubed
2 tbsp plain flour
thyme
750ml beef stock (from cubes is fine)
2 tbsp tomato purée
a dash of Worcestershire sauce

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan then add the onion, carrot, leek, celery and garlic, and cook gently for 5 minutes, do not brown. Add the mushrooms and cook everything for a further 5 minutes then transfer to the slow cooker. Heat a little more olive oil in the pan you cooked the veg in, add the beef (in batches if necessary) and brown all over then stir the flour in well. Add the beef to the slow cooker and add the thyme, stock, purée and Worcestershire sauce. Season and mix well. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook on high for 4 hours or low for around 8 hours. Serve with jacket potatoes, or mash.

Beef casserole

Stewing steak
Button mushrooms
Parsnips
swede
potatoes
garlic
tomato puree
beef stock
1/2 bottle merlot
worchester sauce pepper

Slow cooked onions

30ml oil (recipe says EVO, I used sunflower)
600g onions, sliced
15g butter
3 sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
30g light brown sugar (eg muscovado) plus a little extra
30ml balsamic vinegar (or red wine v. or sherry v. etc) plus a little extra
120ml red wine
50g ready to eat prunes, chopped
salt and pepper

Put oil and butter in ceramic pot, heat on high till melted. Add onions, stir to coat then cover pot with lid, cook for 5 hours stirring a few times to cook evenly. add salt and pepper then thyme, bay leaf, sugar, vinegar, wine. Stir till sugar dissolves then add prunes. Cover, cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until mixture is is thick and sticky. Adjust seasoning, add more sugar and/or vinegar to taste. Allow to cool then store in jars in the fridge.

chicken jalfrezi

4 chicken breasts diced
1 chopped onion
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 green chillies
1tin chopped tomatoes
half a pint of water
1 tsp ground corriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 red pepper chopped
half tsp ground chilli flakes
1 red chilli
2 tsp garam masala
2.5 tsp curry powder

Put the lot in the slow cooker,mix together and cook on low for 5 hours

Tip Added half a jar of mango chutney which gave some fruitiness and improved flavour.

Sunday roast

a nice bit of topside cooked at medium heat for 6 1/2 hours.

Beef Olives

4 beef olives
3 chopped carrots
4 chopped tatties
2 chopped onion
2 beef stock cube

Slow cook 8 hours, add 1 pack of 'beef in ale' powder after 7 hours

Beef & vegetable casserole (recommended)

• 2 celery sticks, thickly sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 really big carrots, halved lengthways then very chunkily sliced
  • 5 bay leaves
  • 3 sprigs thyme
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp plain flour
  • 2 tbsp tomato purée
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 beef stock cubes, crumbled
  • 850g stewing beef (featherblade or brisket works nicely), cut into nice large chunks

6-8 hours on low heat

Chicken and bacon casserole

Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 chicken portions
1 rasher smoked streaky bacon
1 chopped onion
½ clove garlic, crushed (optional)
1 carrot, diced
1 stick celery, cut in 5mm slices
1 tablespoon plain flour
225ml chicken stock
1 tablespoon tomato puree
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation method
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the chicken oil all sides.
2. Transfer to the slow cooker bowl.
3. Add the bacon, onions, garlic (if using), carrots and celery and gently fry for about 4 minutes.
4. Stir in the flour and then gradually add the stock, tomato puree and seasoning.
5. Bring to the boil stirring continuously. Pour over the chicken.
6. Cook for 6 – 8 hours on low.

Serving suggestion
Adjust seasoning after cooking and serve with new potatoes. If the sauce is too thin, transfer to a pan and thicken using a little cornflour

Ribs

2 pounds pork baby back ribs
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups barbecue sauce (not mesquite flavored - we use Kraft honey bbq)
1 jar (8 oz. size) cherry jam or preserves
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
Additional salt and black pepper (optional)
Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:

Trim excess fat from ribs. Rub 1 teaspoon pepper over ribs. Cut ribs into 2 rib portions; place in crock pot/slow cooker.

Combine barbecue sauce, jam, mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt in small bowl; pour over ribs.

Cover; cook on LOW heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until ribs are tender. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Serve ribs with sauce.

Pulled pork (recommended)

Shoulder of pork (not rolled and only costs around £5.50 in Asda)
Jar of BBQ Rub
Jar of BBQ sauce

1 Take string netting off the pork and rub inside and out with dry BBQ rub
2 Place in slow cooker fat side up,pour BBQ sauce over and make sure coated top,inside and underneath

Cook on low for 8 hours

Remove joint ,place on baking tray.
Remove any excess fat then with two forks shred all pork meat,so you get consistency like Chinese crispy duck
Pour some of the BBQ sauce/juices from the slow cooker over the shredded meat and mix it all up,taking care not to over saturate the meat with the sauce.
Put on a roll and enjoy !!
For some additional taste, grate some cheddar over the top of the pork and place a few slices of chilli
Put under grill for half a minute until cheese melts into the pork...Simply delicious

Meatballs

1 tin of chopped tomatoes
Half fill the tin with water and chuck that in as well
A big squeeze of tomato puree
A sprinkling of oregano, basil and nutmeg
As many meatballs as you like

Low for 8 hours or high for 4

Carribean chicken

8 chicken thighs (around 2lb in total)
3 tablespoons jerk marinade (made fresh or shop bought, your choice)
3 tbsp sunflower oil
2 large onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
400ml can of full fat coconut milk
1/2 pint chicken stock
1 can red kidney beans, drained
7oz easy cook long grain rice
4oz frozen peas
salt, pepper
garnish: lime wedges, sprigs of coriander

Remove skin from chicken thighs, slash each one 2 or 3 times and rub in the marinade

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan, add chicken, fry over high heat until browned on both sides. Lift out and transfer to plate.

Add remaining oil, onions and garlic to pan and fry until softened and lightly browned. Pour in coconut milk and stock, season and bring to boil. Transfer half the mixture to slow cooker and add half the chicken, all the beans, then remaining chicken and coconut mixture. Cover, cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is tender.

Stir in the rice, replace lid and cook on high for 45 minutes. Add frozen peas, cook for further 15 minutes. Serve with garnish.

Stovies (recommended)

Peel and slice potatoes into discs approx half a centimetre thick.
Brown off 8 steak slice sausage,drain on kitcehn paper to absorb excess fat,then cut into pieces about one inch square.
Fry one and a half onions gently until golden in colour.
Get a pint of beef stock. A cube will do ,but fresh made or supermarket pre made is better.
In bottom of SC arrange a layer of potato,then add pepper (no salt as you'll get this from stock)
Then add layer of sausage and onion.
Another layer of potato and season,then another of sausage and so on.
Once all layers are complete,pour in stock and cook on low heat for approx 6 hours.

When ready,if all stock hasnt been absorbed,I would drain some off then mash.
Dont mash too much as I think it best if you still have soime chunks of tattie.
Serve with buttered oat cakes, or buttered plain bead ..brown sauce optional

Chilli (recommended)

Get a 1lb packet of lean beef mince
Brown in a frypan pouring off excess liquid and add to slow cooker.
Add Chirizo sausage,a tin of chopped tomatoes and a packet of dry chilli con carne mix and cook for 6-7 hours on low heat.(you can add some extra finely chopped fresh chilies for extra kick)
Add a tin of kidney beans and for extra tomato flavouring a tin of heinz baked beans and two-3 cups of rice (brown rice is more flavoursome) and mix well together.
Leave for cooking for another hour.

serve with nachos and some grated melted cheese on top

Peanut chicken

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets - cut into strips
1 large red pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1 large onion, coarsely chopped

100ml (4 fl oz) chicken stock
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed chillies
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons cornflour
175g (6 oz) smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 tablespoons lime juice
3 spring onion, chopped
handful chopped fresh coriander
75g (3 oz) chopped roasted peanurs

Preparation method
1.Place the chicken breast strips, red pepper and onion into a slow cooker. Pour in the chicken stock and 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, then season with cumin, garlic, crushed chillies, salt and pepper. Stir to blend, then cover and cook on low for 4 1/2 to 5 hours. 2.Remove 225ml (8 fl oz) of the liquid from the slow cooker, and mix this with the cornflour, peanut butter, remaining soy sauce and lime juice. This should blend into a fairly thick sauce. Stir the sauce back into the slow cooker, and place the lid on the pot. 3.Cook on high for 30 minutes. Garnish with spring onions, coriander and peanuts to serve.

Cola gammon

gammon joint

onion, carrot, cloves, tomato puree, mustard and sugar added to the cola.

Harissa lamb

Lamb (neck fillet) in today with harissa paste, tinned tomatoes, onion and a bit stock.

Served later with cous cous.

Green curry

8 chicken thighs
Thai green paste
Fish sauce
Lime leaves
Lime juice
Coconut milk
Lemongrass
Fresh chillies
Corriander

serve with rice

Cauliflower curry

4 Cups potatoes, peeled and quartered 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets

¾ teaspoon ground turmeric

½ teaspoon chilli powder

1½ teaspoon ground cumin

¾ teaspoon salt

big pinch of sugar

2 tomatoes, chopped

1 ¼ cups water

½ teaspoon garam masala

Bung all ingredients into slow cooker and cook on low for approximately six hours

CHINSE CHICKEN HOT POT (recommended)

1 whole chicken (or I used some legs and thighs coz there was just two of us)
1 litre water
1 litre chicken stock
500ml chinese cooking wine
125 ml light soy sauce
80ml oyster sauce
75g light brown sugar
4 garlic cloves (bruised)
2" ginger peeled and sliced
3 star anise
1 tsp chinese 5 spice
2 red chillies

Put chicken in slow cooker. Combine all ingredients and pour over chicken Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Remove chicken, strain broth and discard solids. Keep chicken warm ( i removed all skin and bones) Add pak choi (if you like)to stock and put back in slow cooker or in a pan for 5 mins til wilted.
I added a tblsp of fish sauce and juice of half a lime as well.

Put egg noodles in a large bowl, put chcken on top and ladle over broth (as much as you want!!) I also topped mine with more chilli, spring onions and coriander.

This would easily serve 6 if a whole chicken is used. There was loads of broth left (as there was just the 2 of us).

Beef rancheros pie

beef, onion, tomatoes, chillies, allspice, cumin, stock and sweet potato topping

Beef & Veg stew

Shin of beef
Carrots
Onion
Turnip
Pint Beef stock
2 tbsp Worc sauce
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp english mustard
couple sprigs rosemary

6 hours on low

Mussaman Beef curry

Fried some ginger and bird's eye chillies, then a couple of red onions and garlic added to it. Fried till softened. Removed onions etc and fried off some beef till it's sealed. Then some Mussaman paste, fried for another couple minutes. Then added a tin of coconut milk, some beef stock and some new potatoes. Brought to boil then put in SC.
Will require 2 hours at medium, then some green pepper added. Then 6-8 hours on low.

Mince & potatoes

I just sweated off some carrot and onions then browned the mince all in one pot before draining the fat off it all and transfering it to the pre warmed slow cooker. Peeled and chopped a couple of spuds into halfs and threw them in. Added 2 Oxo and a little boiling water from the kettle, stirred in a couple of splashes of Worcester sauce and a dollop of english mustard, some salt and pepper and just fucked off and left it for ages. The preperation time is all of 10 minutes.

Pub style curry

Gently fry the following

2 x finely chopped onions
2 x cloves of garlic
2 x sliced courgettes
1 x tub of sliced muchrooms

In a seperate pan add
2 x chopped tomatoes
1 x jar of mango chutney
3 x heaped teaspoons of medium cury powder
1 x pint chicken stock

Flake all the chicken meat of the bone and chop the rest into bite sized pieces
Bring contents in pan to the boil, then simmer for 25 minutes,adding the chicken and fried ingredients.
Just before serving,stir in one tub (1/4 pint) of natural yoghurt.
Seve with rice

beef bourguignon

Fry braising steak and lardons until browned.
Set this aside then fry shallots, garlic and carrots for ten mins.
Add the meat back to the pan and sprinkle with flour. Heat for couple mins then add beef stock and red wine. Bring back to the boil.

Transfer to SC. Chuck in some new potatoes after a couple of hours. Then leave again for as long as you like.

Serve with tiger loaf.

Beef Goulash

60g flour
300g beef
Stick of celery
2 carrots
Large onion
Green pepper
3 tbsp worcester sauce
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp paprika
3 tsp mixed herbs
200ml red wine
200ml beef stock

Fry the veg, chuck in the chopped beef after rolling it around in the flour until it's browned. Chuck in the puree, worcester sauce and paprika for a couple of minutes then add the stock and wine until it's simmering. Transfer to slow cooker for about 6 hours on high and it's yum yum time.

Chunky beef, chorizo and chilli stew

• 15 mls olive oil
  • 900g/2lb stewing steak, cubed
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 large mild jalapeño chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
  • 30 mls chilli powder
  • 10 mls ground cumin
  • 350g/12oz ready-to-cook mini chorizo sausages
  • 5 mls dried oregano
  • 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
  • 15 mls polenta
  • 600ml/1pt beef stock
  • 397 gram(s) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • For topping:
  • Red Leicester cheese, grated
  • jalapeño chillies, pickled and sliced soured cream

1. Heat a large flame-proof casserole dish over high heat, add oil and fry half steak for several mins till browned. Remove and set aside. Repeat with rest of steak.
  2. Add onion and chillies. Cook gently for a few mins, to soften. Add chilli powder, cumin and chorizo. Stir over heat for a couple of mins. Return beef to pot with oregano, tomatoes, peppers, polenta and stock. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for about 2 hrs, till beef is tender.
  3. Stir in beans. Cook till heated through, about 5 mins. Top with cheese, chillies and soured cream. Serve with tortilla chips.
  4. Tip
  5. Cook in a pressure cooker for 40 mins for tender meat in a fraction of the time, or cook in a slow cooker all day on low for 8 hrs.

lamb tagine (recommended)

Ingredients
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp ground black pepper
1½ tbsp paprika
1½ tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 x shoulder of lamb, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in chunks (about 1.1kg/2½lb meat in total)
1 large onions, grated
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
115g/4oz dried apricots, cut in half
55g/2oz dates, cut in half
55g/2oz sultanas or raisins
85g/3oz flaked almonds
Few strands of Saffron
600ml/1 pint lamb stock
1 tbsp clear honey

Seve with cous cous and some greek yoghurt with mint and cucumber mixed through it
Cooked on low for 8 hours after browning off the lamb

Dry beef curry

2 lbs stewing beef
1 onion
250 ml stock
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric

Low for 8 hours. If any juice left, put it in a pan and reduce til practically no liquid is left.

Serve with rice or naan and mango chutney

Beef curry (recommended)

750g beef
400g can of chopped tomatoes
2/3 garlic cloves chopped
1cm of fresh ginger chopped
250ml of beef stock
Curry powder - tbsp or more dependant on taste
Couple of onions

Brown the beef in a pa with a tbsp of olive oil. Set beef aside and reserve the juice. Throw the garlic and ginger in the same pan as the beef was cooked in for a couple of minutes. Then lob in the curry powder and tinned tomatoes and the reserved juice, stir up for a few minutes to combine it.

Dice/slice/chop the onion, however you like your onion done. Line the bottom of the slow cooker with that, then put the meat in, then pour over the pan of sauce and the stock. Give it a stir and lob it on for 7-8 hours on low.

Beefsteak Chilli (recommended)

Beef steak

Chorizo

Peppers

Chillies

Chilli mix

Smoked Paprika

Heinz beans

Kidney beans

Plum tomotoes

Red wine

beef stifado

1 Packet Cubed Beef

Onion

4 or 5 Shallots

2/3 Cloves Garlic

Half to 3 Quarters of a carton Passata

Glug of Red Wine

Glug or two of Red Wine Vinegar

3 or 4 Allspice seeds

Cinnamon Stick

2 Bay Leaves

Fried off the onions/shallots/garlic and browned the beef in olive oil first, added salt and pepper then bunged everything in the pot. Cooked for about 10 or 11 hours at low.

1.5 billion Chinese can't be wrong!

I think rice cookers are great - no chance of burning the rice if you forget about it and it keeps the rice warm without going hard.

1.5 billion Chinese can't be wrong!

I think rice cookers are great - no chance of burning the rice if you forget about it and it keeps the rice warm without going hard.

I always just put rice in a saucepan and boil for ten minutes - never thought of buying a rice cooker!

On 09/01/2017 at 09:04, fanny paddery said:

So this has got a bit lost on page 35 of the forum and may be worth a bump.

Red dotted for beginning your post and your own post which you quoted with 'So'.