The Alternative Leigh Griffiths Blog...

St. Starko

I know Leigh may not be the smartest of people, but it's good to see what life is like from a players perspective, such as moving away from home for the first time to play for another team.

Jack Ross has some good blogs going on the BBC, I wonder if this is a one off from Leigh or if he'll follow Jack's footsteps and write a few more?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if this is a one off from Leigh or if he'll follow Jack's footsteps and write a few more?

"From now until the end of May..."

Your reading is on par with his writing.

Your reading is on par with his writing.

I'm particularly gutted about that one. He was 'telt' when he signed that he had to bang in at least twenty four goals in a season, plus write a blog that would merit a first class english honours degree. I say sack the little shyte, its simply not good enough.

It's better than some of the other tripe you read on the BBC, even if the writing standard isn't exactly that great.

1. Considering the wonderful bbc can't even get the likes team names or players right at times, it's a step up from some of the tripe you get on the beeb, yes.

2. Understatement of the year.

Did LG ever attend school?:unsure:

Good old Leigh Griffiths. I think the blog's a champion idea. I only wish they'd granted my request to ghost write it for him. According to the rejection letter I received, my effort is, and I quote, "in the hands of the club's legal team". Sakes. I thought it was bang on the money. Here's an extract -

"Life is good in Dundee. When I say good, I mean it's a seemingly never ending onslaught of abject misery and pain. I've been housed in a teepee in Caird Park. According to Bob 'Hefty Love Cannon' Brannan (that's not my name for him, by the way - he walks around with a name tag saying exactly that) it's the 'best o' the teckle', the finest accomodation in the city. Who am I to argue? Afterall, I was born, raised and educated in a portaloo at the top of Leith Walk.

The training regieme at Dens is nothing short of insane. It begins when we're taken into the city centre and told to do laps round the aisles of Tesco Metro. Shoplifting is encouraged. Rab Douglas treats it like Supermarket Sweep, and runs round filling a trolley before bolting out the door while Tony Bullock distracts the security guard with his sword swallowing routine. We reconvene at Dens and empty our pockets of any stolen goods we managed to get hold of. Our glorious leader, Jocky Scott, surveys the booty. This is how he picks the team for Saturday. The 11 players whose contraband has the highest monetary value start. Paul McHale returned once with a Lion Bar and Tesco Value toilet roll. Jocky took him to one side and berated him mercilessly. 'Em no wiping meh arse wi that, McHale! Jocky needs the two-ply luxury bog roll ya daft c**t! Dinnae even like Lion Bars either!'. Poor Paul is unlikely to get a game for the rest of the season after that episode.

Having warmed up at Tesco, it's down to some work with the ball. Only we don't use balls. Jocky insists we'll become better players if we learn to play with plastic bags filled with human hair. I quietly asked Colin McMenanin where all the hair came from, and he pointed out Gary Harkins sitting by the side of the pitch being shaved by a team of barbers. Harkins is hairier than a gorilla. He gets an all over body shave then goes from being as smooth as a baby's bum to hairier than Teen Wolf in less than 60 seconds. It's really quite remarkable to watch, the man's a freak of nature.

As we do passing exercises with bags full of Gary's hair Jocky patrols the touchline, stripped to the waist, bellowing at us through a megaphone. He splices motivational encouragement with lines from his favourite Beastie Boys songs. 'That's it lads, keep it up..................I'm tellin' all y'all this is sabotage!.................keep it on the ground lads, one touch to control, one to pass....................you gotta fight! For your right! To paaaaaarty!.....................easy ball lads, that's the game'.

His mood often sours when we have a bounce game. I must have fallen out of favour with the man. As we're playing he'll howl 'WHA'S IN F*CKING CHERGE HERE? GRIFFITHS YA C*NT, GET OVER HERE!'. I jog over, terrified. He puts the megaphone down, spits on me, and asks 'Leigh, wha's in f*cking cherge here son?'. Shaking with fear I reply 'Ummmm, you are boss'. He nods. 'F*cking right I am. Now get back in the game ya wee fanny'. I get no further than 10 yards away when he's bellowing through the microphone again 'GRIFFITHS YA C*NT, GET OVER HERE!'. I turn round and jog back. He picks his nose and wipes it on my chin before asking 'Leigh..........wha's in f*cking cherge here, eh?'. 'You are boss', I stammer. He tells me to get back in the game again. I get about 10 yards away and he's at it again 'WHA'S IN F*CKING CHERGE HERE YA C*NTS?? GRIFFITHS!! OVER HERE YA WEE RAT!!'.

This cycle goes on and on. One time it went on past the point where the rest of the team left and went home. Back and forth I went for hours, Jocky bellowing at me through megaphone with his top off, calling me all kinds of names and asking who was in charge before sending me back to a bounce game that wasn't even going on anymore. As darkness fell he eventually left me be. He strapped on a jetpack and took off out over the Main Stand, shouting 'ok Leigh, good session son. See ya tomorrow'. As he vanished over the horizon I dropped to my knees and cried. God I miss my portaloo at the top of Leith Walk.

Archived