Gigs

pilsner_ffc

5 hours ago, Internet Citizen said:

I thought Bob Dylan was fantastic last night. He’s a bit of a hero of mine and there’s a big possibility he’ll never be back, so it’s great to finally see him. Played the majority of Rough and Rowdy Ways with a few older songs thrown in; absolutely no hits…

As an aside, it was a phone free gig, so your phone was put in a locked wallet that you carried around with you for the time you were in the Armadillo.

He was superb. When I bought the ticket I was a bit disappointed to be so far back but I ended up having a good view of him behind the piano. The band were incredible the few times he let them off the leash. Most Likely You Go Your Way, Gotta Serve Somebody and That Old Black Magic would have taken the roof off the Barras so it was a shame to be seated but it was probably the best way to experience the Rough And Rowdy Ways songs and it was interesting to see the way band follow his hands as he is obviously improvising and reworking on the fly.

I think last night was the 99th RARW show since he started touring again in November last year. Absolutely remarkable for an 81 year to be doing this and he hasn't cancelled a single show as far as I can recall. To be out there passionately playing new material and doing it so well that no one really cares that he doesn't play any of his big songs is amazing. The tour is scheduled to go on until 2024 so hopefully he swings by again next year although I suspect he will just end it suddenly. I don't see him going in for a big farewell gig and the circus that would be.

13 minutes ago, Detournement said:

He was superb. When I bought the ticket I was a bit disappointed to be so far back but I ended up having a good view of him behind the piano. The band were incredible the few times he let them off the leash. Most Likely You Go Your Way, Gotta Serve Somebody and That Old Black Magic would have taken the roof off the Barras so it was a shame to be seated but it was probably the best way to experience the Rough And Rowdy Ways songs and it was interesting to see the way band follow his hands as he is obviously improvising and reworking on the fly.

I think last night was the 99th RARW show since he started touring again in November last year. Absolutely remarkable for an 81 year to be doing this and he hasn't cancelled a single show as far as I can recall. To be out there passionately playing new material and doing it so well that no one really cares that he doesn't play any of his big songs is amazing. The tour is scheduled to go on until 2024 so hopefully he swings by again next year although I suspect he will just end it suddenly. I don't see him going in for a big farewell gig and the circus that would be.

Gotta Serve Somebody was the highlight for me; it sounded incredible and much bigger than the album version, if that makes sense. 

On him reworking, the way he pretty much just kicked into I’ll Be Your Baby, Tonight with the band seemingly having to catch up was pretty funny. They were still getting their instruments ready. 

22 minutes ago, Internet Citizen said:

Gotta Serve Somebody was the highlight for me; it sounded incredible and much bigger than the album version, if that makes sense. 

Yeah i'm hoping that someone was recording. 

I was going to look on Expecting Rain but it's crashed. The new book and the rumours about a Time Out Of Mind bootleg series must have been too much for it.

5 hours ago, Internet Citizen said:

I thought Bob Dylan was fantastic last night. He’s a bit of a hero of mine and there’s a big possibility he’ll never be back, so it’s great to finally see him. Played the majority of Rough and Rowdy Ways with a few older songs thrown in; absolutely no hits…

18 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Sorry to disagree with your generous comments on the unique phenomenon that is Bob Dylan . . . but, I saw Dylan at Nottingham on Friday and have a different take. I thought he was in better voice than the most recent time I saw him (2007) but that was the main redeeming feature. Dylan has never been about musicianship or his singing, the glory of Dylan has always been the marvellous lyrics. But in this case the songs were unfamiliar and unrecognisable to me (admittedly no fault of Dylan) as were melodies and lyrics.

Maybe Dylan's voice has gone, but the staccato recitation of the words is no real substitute even for a limited vocal range, and I'm not very good at 'guess that tune'.  I thought that the audience reaction was muted at best although the twat on my right seemed to be channeling his inner owl by hooting loudly at the start and end of every song and, often, in the middle. I also thought it was telling that the loudest cheer of the evening was for Dylan's brief harmonica interpolation.

Dylan must have a repertoire of some 1,000 songs including numerous wonderful creations and it was a pity that at least a couple of these weren't on offer. This would have been infinitely preferable to the massacre of 'That Old Black Magic' and the Jerry Lee Lewis tribute finale. Anyway, it was good just to see Dylan again, probably for the last time but I'm not trying to convince myself that it was a great concert experience.  

21 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

Just booked a ticket for the Elvana gig in Dundee in a few weeks.

A Nirvana tribute act fronted by an Elvis impersonator. This could be the best thing ever, or it could just as easily be the worst thing ever...

21 hours ago, Yoss said:

Not seen them but I've heard good things about them.

They're brilliant.  I was sceptical going in but it's one of the most fun gigs I've been to.

Sorry to disagree with your generous comments on the unique phenomenon that is Bob Dylan . . . but, I saw Dylan at Nottingham on Friday and have a different take. I thought he was in better voice than the most recent time I saw him (2007) but that was the main redeeming feature. Dylan has never been about musicianship or his singing, the glory of Dylan has always been the marvellous lyrics. But in this case the songs were unfamiliar and unrecognisable to me (admittedly no fault of Dylan) as were melodies and lyrics.

Maybe Dylan's voice has gone, but the staccato recitation of the words is no real substitute even for a limited vocal range, and I'm not very good at 'guess that tune'.  I thought that the audience reaction was muted at best although the twat on my right seemed to be channeling his inner owl by hooting loudly at the start and end of every song and, often, in the middle. I also thought it was telling that the loudest cheer of the evening was for Dylan's brief harmonica interpolation.

Dylan must have a repertoire of some 1,000 songs including numerous wonderful creations and it was a pity that at least a couple of these weren't on offer. This would have been infinitely preferable to the massacre of 'That Old Black Magic' and the Jerry Lee Lewis tribute finale. Anyway, it was good just to see Dylan again, probably for the last time but I'm not trying to convince myself that it was a great concert experience.  

@Thane of Cawdor

I love Rough And Rowdy Ways and i'd rather hear those songs than see him attempting to play Like A Rolling Stone and Visions Of Joanna. His singing on Made My Mind Up, Mother of Muses and Key West was fantastic, he's 81 years old and he's found a new style of singing and playing that allows him to keep doing his thing. I disagree about the singing and the music, the lyrics are only a part of it and the vocal delivery and music are just as important or you might as well just read it off the page as listen to it. I doubt anyone would pick 'That Old Black Magic' as a song for Bob to sing but Charlie Drayton and Tony Garnier were sensational on it last night.

The man could sing.

46 minutes ago, yoda said:

I saw Sigur Ros in Stockholm a couple of weeks back. They were awesome. I'd happily stand and listen to them play "Samskeyti" on a loop for 2 hours. 

They were fantastic! Loved them starting with the first 3 tracks from ( )

On 27/10/2022 at 00:12, pozbaird said:

Just back from seeing The Pretty Reckless at the Barras’. Good gig, and Taylor Momsen was a fantastic frontwoman… but, it’s 2022, not 1976, so if you’re only going to play one song as an encore, don’t insert a fcuking tedious drum solo into it. Still, she was tremendous, the band were great, it was loud but the sound quality was brilliant.

I was at that. Did the same with the drum solo in the encore when I saw them in 2014 too. Stayed outside afterwards and Taylor went straight to the bus and didn't stop for the whole 10people there so annoyed about that. Good gig though.

Also seen Bury Tomorrow at SWG3 and The Rasmus at The Garage. Next for me is Evanescence/Within Temptation at The Hydro.

Was also at Bob Dylan on Monday night and it was unbelievable. No “hits” and mostly the new record but his band were insanely good and his voice was in good nick, especially considering he’s 81 and a fair bit of the way into a long tour. 

Next couple of weeks are pretty busy - Franz Ferdinand at the Hydro, Start To End playing Cocteau Twins’ Heaven Or Las Vegas at Stereo and Wild Pink at The Hug & Pint this week, then Beach Bunny and Wet Leg both at SWG3 the following week. 

On 31/10/2022 at 20:05, Paul Kersey said:

Just booked a ticket for the Elvana gig in Dundee in a few weeks.

A Nirvana tribute act fronted by an Elvis impersonator. This could be the best thing ever, or it could just as easily be the worst thing ever...

Elvana are great fun. Have been involved in gigs with them a couple of times and it’s always a good night out. Absolutely shouldn’t work, but it absolutely does.

Just received the worst news that Mimi Parker has passed away from ovarian cancer.

I was at Low’s show at the Tramway in 2019, and it will rank as the high watermark for a gig memory in the 25 years I’ve been going to see gigs. A spellbinding night.

May she rest in peace.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jan/30/low-review-tramway-glasgow

8 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Just received the worst news that Mimi Parker has passed away from ovarian cancer.

I was at Low’s show at the Tramway in 2019, and it will rank as the high watermark for a gig memory in the 25 years I’ve been going to see gigs. A spellbinding night.

May she rest in peace.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jan/30/low-review-tramway-glasgow

I think they did a lot of 'non-standard' venues that tour. I saw them at Rockefeller Chapel at the University of Chicago, which is a stunning building, and you're literally sitting on pews for the show. Unbelievable. Passed on a ticket when they did the Metro this February, thinking I'd get them again next time they did UofC. Stupid stupid decision. 

Rockefeller Chapel on Twitter: "From last week's evening fog roll-in.  🌧☁️💨 https://t.co/M3GdDySQZ0 https://t.co/sShIwcKJm0" / Twitter

Rockefeller Chapel | The other chapel we were able to get in… | Flickr

Little assistance please from regular concert goers.

Havent been to one for years (a bit ancient) but the wife and I are going to see Tedeschi Trucks Band (we just love Susan’s voice and Derek’s guitar playing)at the O2 Academy on Thursday. Tickets say 7pm but, realistically, when should we go?

Also, when do shows tend to finish?

We need to get a train at Queen Street.

Havent been to one for years (a bit ancient) but the wife and I are going to see Tedeschi Trucks Band (we just love Susan’s voice and Derek’s guitar playing)at the O2 Academy on Thursday. Tickets say 7pm but, realistically, when should we go?

Search the band name on twitter on the afternoon of the gig and somebody will invariably post the stage times. Usually the band and/or the venue will post them up.

Rough timings for a typical gig might be something like support 7:30-8:00 and main act 8:30-9:45. Varies a little from gig to gig, day of the week etc, but 10pm is usually a pretty good estimate of the curfew for the larger venues.

Make sure you nip into the Laurieston Bar for a pre gig pint of Jarl! Enjoy the show.

Seems their London show saw them take the stage at just after 8 o'clock. Interval about an hour in too:

6f28fcaf957383056a2fee9644cb9b7b.jpg