Gigs

pilsner_ffc

I wouldn't be googling them tonight if I were you

I couldn’t really believe it when I read the allegations. Soul crushing really; I knew he was a bellend, most hipstery men in their 40s are, but the extent I had no idea. Really don’t know if I could enjoy a gig with him there.

Just booked a ticket to see The Cure at the Mercedes Benz arena in Berlin in October.

It's always a risk seeing aging bands. Some still have it, others are just like somebody's drunk uncle singing karaoke. I hope Smith puts on a good show. 

Still, spending a few hours in the company of thousands of German Goths should be interesting.

2 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Just booked a ticket to see The Cure at the Mercedes Benz arena in Berlin in October.

It's always a risk seeing aging bands. Some still have it, others are just like somebody's drunk uncle singing karaoke. I hope Smith puts on a good show. 

Still, spending a few hours in the company of thousands of German Goths should be interesting.

You won't be disappointed. I only first saw them in 2006, and 4 times since, but each time has been outstanding, the pick of the bunch being at Wembley Arena, December 2017. They never put on a bad show!

3 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

I couldn’t really believe it when I read the allegations. Soul crushing really; I knew he was a bellend, most hipstery men in their 40s are, but the extent I had no idea. Really don’t know if I could enjoy a gig with him there.

Had time to reflect on this and if the gig goes ahead I’m going, I’m there to support Regine and the rest of the band who have done heehaw wrong.

Highlight of Green Man last weekend - Charlotte Adigery and Bolis Pupul, one of my favourite festival sets ever. Also good sets from, among others, Melin Melyn, Ezra Furman, Pictish Trail, English Teacher and ... *checks notes* ... Joe and the Shitboys.

End of the Road next week. Looking forward especially to Hurray for the Riff Raff, Mandy Indiana and Grace Cummings, none of whom I've seen before.

19 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

Away to see the Cure in Leipzig, not really much of a fan but l'm looking forward to seeing the support the Twilight Sad.

Looking forward to seeing Nils Frahm the day before.

Edited by betting competition

Went to see Fruit Bats at the Glad Cafe last night. First time seeing the band and first time at the venue. It was one of those special nights where my expectations were neutral but I ended up being blown away! Despite being down a drummer and guitarist they were excellent. Great rapport with the crowd, I’m still buzzing after that.

Echo and the Bunnymen coming up at the Fillmore in Detroit next Friday. I'm pals with their sound engineer so there's a chance of Access All Areas passes which sound pretty grand and exciting over and above it being my first gig in about four years.

Just back from Leeds. First time going to a festival outside Scotland for me. Only went the one day for Arctic Monkeys. Atmosphere non-existent and mostly kids with phones recording the tunes. I’m still in my 20s but I felt like a right old f*cker at that. Monkeys were brilliant however. Their new single released this morning is exceptional. No doubt it’ll get bad press because it doesn’t have bass and drums screaming down your ear whilst Turner sings about getting pissed on a night out.

Did Connect on Saturday which overall was a good jolly. Saw Kathryn Joseph, Caribou, Twilight Sad, Bonobo and Chemical Brothers. Bonobo live were more impressive than I anticipated despite being a big fan. Chemical Brothers were mental but excellent. Not a bad set from anyone really. 

15 hours ago, Christophe said:

Had a reverse reaction to the the Win Butler stuff, in that it's actually made me go out and get a ticket for saturday in Manchester. Probably would have passed me by before that!

Same here, I've bought a ticket for the Glasgow gig as there's a fair chance there could be a 'hiatus' after this tour. No point fannying about waiting on a festival slot! 

Not saying this applies to all the allegations as I simply haven't pored over the details but there's a distinct aftertiming air to at least a few of them.