Gigs

pilsner_ffc

12 hours ago, IainMorton said:

The new stuff started off well but tailed off a bit. Heavy Metal Lover is a fantastic song. Agree about Open Fire, one of my favourite TD songs.

If you like The Darkness, have you heard The Struts? They’ve got some great tunes, and frontman Luke Spiller is another one who clearly owns the entire Queen CD collection. I’ve got fifteen or so of my favourite songs of theirs on in the car at the moment. Great stuff! Other motorists wondering who the daftie beside them at the lights is, who is loudly singing ‘Primadonna, prim-prim a-donna, be a primadonna like me tonight!’. Well, someone has to. 😀

30 years on at Ayr Piv....Goodbye Mr.Mackenzie at 'The Barras' next Friday.....bring it on.....
IMG_20191211_0001.thumb.jpg.584dd3eb2f4728aad5717b554a85e044.jpg
Same for me, looking forward to tonight's gig, last time i saw them at Barras had a good wee chat wae Shirley Manson and Big John downstairs at the t shirt stall!
After tonight, got the Interrupters at Barras at the end of January then the Murder Capital and the Menzingers at QMU in February!

My top 10 gigs of the year (only allowing one per artist, or else the top 10 would all be The Twilight Sad):

1. The Twilight Sad, Empire Music Hall, Belfast (close run thing between that and the Usher Hall)

2. Craig Finn, King Tuts

3. The Cure, Bellahouston Park

4. Kathryn Joseph, City Halls

5. Oh Sees, QMU

6. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Barrowlands

7. White Denim, Liquid Room

8. Bob Dylan, Hyde Park

9. The 1975, The Hydro

10. Robbie Williams, Hyde Park

Gigs of the year would have a reasonable amount of overlap with the albums list - Pom Poko, Stella Donnelly, Ezra Furman, Black Midi.

But I'd add in Bodega and Estrons (sadly since split); and if I can include festival sets then Parquet Courts and Mammoth Penguins.

Top gigs of 2019:

10 - The Oh Sees - QMU, Glasgow

9 - Deradoorian - Rainbow, Birmingham

8 - Anxiety - New River Studios, Haringey

7 - Cosmic Dead - The Lanes, Bristol

6 - Ariel Pink - Gorilla, Manchester 

5 - Peter Brotzmann - @ JazzMadrid Festival

4 - Human Eye - Los Globos, LA

3 - Pissed Jeans - Brudenell, Leeds

2 - John Maus - Brudenell, Leeds

1 - John Maus - Elkin, Tilburg 

Still swithering on final album list, and considering putting a decade list together...tbc...

• 4 weeks later...

Cam Penner tonight. First gig of 2020 and first of my Celtic Connections shows.

Not to everybody's taste. A few folk walked out pretty early on and a few more as the show went on. Cam completely changed direction with his most recent album and his style now is something that you either really like or really don't. It's intense. It's often pretty bleak. It's at times really quite tender. The one thing thats for sure is that its never anything less than captivating. I really enjoyed it but his music isnt really to be approached unless you're in the right frame of mind for it because it could wear you down.

Support act were great. Bluegrass band called Midnight Skyracer. Terrible band name but a really talented bluegrass band. Typical strings set up (guitar, dobro, mandolin, banjo, fiddle and stand up bass). Typical all girl harmonies. Latest band to emerge from one of the bluegrass states like Virginia, Kentucky or one of the Carolinas? Nope. They're English, and possibly Irish. Accents are all from south of the border. I can see the kind of musical purists who bother about authenticity being irked by that because they play and sound like a proper bluegrass band despite not being from bluegrass country. If you're not one of those purist wankers then once you reconcile the difference between music and the people performing it, the contrast doesnt really matter and you can enjoy the fantastic finger picking and singing.

Typical CC miss match though. They'd have been far more suited to opening for Bela Fleck tonight or for Della Mae on 28th.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

On 22/01/2020 at 08:32, die hard doonhamer said:

Kaiser Chiefs and Razorlight at the usher hall tonight. Fifth time seeing KC, who always put on a great show. First time for Razorlight though, looking forward to then.

Really enjoyed this.

First support act was Skinny Living, who I was really impressed with. Will be looking out for their stuff over the next couple of days. Razorlight were really good, and the Kaiser Chiefs were excellent, as they always are. Won't be the last time I see them.

On 20/01/2020 at 20:43, Andrew Wells said:

Next up for me is Anna Meredith at the Oran Mor. Not many gig or semi big venues I haven't been to at this point in Glasgow, but this is one of them. Looking forward to it.

Looking forward to that weekend, that's on the Saturday then (Sandy) Alex G on Sunday.