Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Margaret Glaspy tonight. Gig moved to Stereo due to demand (was Hug and Pint). Supported by Martha Ffion.

Thats a cracking line up for £8. Only problem is that I didnt sleep much in my hotel in Gateshead on Saturday, didnt sleep brilliantly last night after driving home and I've got a full day in work to contend with.

If I make the gig tonight it'll be down in no small part to Red Bull.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Margaret Glaspy tonight. Gig moved to Stereo due to demand (was Hug and Pint). Supported by Martha Ffion.

Thats a cracking line up for £8. Only problem is that I didnt sleep much in my hotel in Gateshead on Saturday, didnt sleep brilliantly last night after driving home and I've got a full day in work to contend with.

If I make the gig tonight it'll be down in no small part to Red Bull.

I'm considering going to this since I was supposed to be going to Beach Slang tonight, but it got cancelled. Her record is fantastic.

It really is Graham.

I bought it on the strength of "You and I" after Marc Riley played it on his show. It was a few weeks before I sat and properly listened to the whole album, but once I did it really sunk it's teeth into me and refused to budge. The whole album is brilliant.

Martha Ffion supporting tonight. I really like what I've heard of her too.

Monday night isnt a great night for a gig. You're still trying to recover from the weekend. You've been at work all day and you know there are another 4 days of torture to follow. It's generally not the right night for going to a concert.

But sometimes there's a gig on that god-awful night that makes work seem a little less tortuous, the post-weekend fatigue a little less tiring. Sometimes you go along to a show and you're treated to an absolutely fantastic performance, a reward for making the effort and not giving in.

Tonight's opener was Warrenpoint born, but now local resident, Martha Ffion. Normally backed by a band, Martha apologised for her nerves. If she was nervous then you'd never know it as she delivered a warm up set of fantastic songs that, despite being stripped back to just a guitar and Martha's vocals, retained every bit of their intelligence, wit and charm. Stories of pre-gig nightmares and fears of sleeping in were entirely in keeping with the brilliant soft and fuzzy indie pop that Glasgow has been expertly nurturing for the past 25 years. She certainly had some friends in the audience - possibly one of the reasons that tonight's show was upgraded to a bigger venue - and by the end of her 40 minute set she certainly had countless more.

The headliner promised an all together bigger sound. Margaret Glaspy has been in music for some time but her current tour is in support of her solo debut. With bass and drums it was definitely punchier than Miss Ffion and she kicked off her headline set with the album opener "Emotion and Math". A good introduction and before we knew it we were treated to her 2nd song of the night with no kind of break between tracks. It took 3 songs before she permitted herself the faintest of smiles. But then she started to relax, opened up to the crowd and engaged in chat between songs. Whilst she has played in the UK before, this was her first gig in Glasgow and she undoubtedly wanted to make the right first impression before settling in and allowing her confidence to shine through.

And shine it did. The album is a highlight of 2016 and Glaspy expertly mixes breezy pop (Emotion and Math, No Matter Who, You Don't Want Me) with some heartbreaking tales of love gone wrong (Anthony, Somebody to Anybody) and the venom of a woman scorned (Situation, Memory Street, Love Like This) and the strongly independent "You and I" - a song that proved to be many people's first introduction to the music of Margaret Glaspy via radio play on BBC 6 Music. As a live performer Margaret Glaspy magnifies those feelings ten-fold. The poison in both "Situation" and "Love Like This" would be enough to kill every man in the room, whilst the fragile beauty of "Somebody to Anybody" would melt the hardest of hearts.

The new songs were met with warm enthusiasm and sounded entirely in keeping with the tone of the album. A handful of well-judged covers added to, rather than padded out, her set and contributed to my very own High Fidelity moment. To misquote Rob when he first hears Marie LaSalle: "Is that Lauryn fucking Hill?" (dick and barry - yeah). Rob - "I've always hated that song". (dick and barry - *swoon* yeah)

This might be the first glimpse many were getting of Margaret Glaspy but it was such a confident and accomplished set that it surely won't be the last. A crowded room full of Glasgow music lovers will undoubtedly be welcoming her back soon, and will hopefully have found a new star in adopted local Martha Ffion.

Jimmy Eat World tomorrow night. I've caved and looked at their setlists from their recent America tour. Holy f'ck this gig will be amazing if they stick with the same tunes. Polaris and 23 will end me.

Wish I had gone to that Margaret Glaspy show now...

Got a run of gigs until the end of the week starting with Cale Tyson at the CCA tonight, Trashcan Sinatras at Oran Mor tomorrow, Nathaniel Rateliff at the Barras on Friday (followed by the Super Hans DJ set at SWG3), The Low Anthem at Electric Circus on Saturday, then Joe Purdy at Tuts on Sunday.

Never seen Cale Tyson before so really looking forward to that. Rateliff is always great so that's going to be a good one, although The Low Anthem were shockingly bad when I saw them in London, although they had just recovered from injuries sustained in a car crash so I'm expecting a much better show on Saturday. 

Wish I had gone to that Margaret Glaspy show now...

Got a run of gigs until the end of the week starting with Cale Tyson at the CCA tonight, Trashcan Sinatras at Oran Mor tomorrow, Nathaniel Rateliff at the Barras on Friday (followed by the Super Hans DJ set at SWG3), The Low Anthem at Electric Circus on Saturday, then Joe Purdy at Tuts on Sunday.

Never seen Cale Tyson before so really looking forward to that. Rateliff is always great so that's going to be a good one, although The Low Anthem were shockingly bad when I saw them in London, although they had just recovered from injuries sustained in a car crash so I'm expecting a much better show on Saturday. 

You missed an absolutely brilliant gig.

Carrie Rodriguez next Tuesday and then Sarah Jarosz on Thursday for me.

Jimmy Eat World were stupidly good last night. Polaris, 23, Salt, Sweat, Sugar and Sweetness were my highlights. Some of the new tracks sounded pretty good as well. Shame they never did Disintegration or Your House but it was a pretty damn good setlist.