Gigs

pilsner_ffc

20 hours ago, The Naitch said:

I'm away to see him in Aberdeen in a couple of weeks after buying tickets in 2018. 5 years is a hell of a wait for a gig.

Elton was superb. He got a bit emotional at the end when he said his goodbyes, but at least he gets to walk away on his own terms. An incredible performer who‘s been doing it for nearly 60 odd years.  

What I found fascinating was the diversity of the crowd. People of all ages from all walks of life, dancing away to songs that have been around for decades. It’s a bit cliched to say they don’t make them like they used to, but they don’t. 

On the subject of ‘roasters at gigs’, this year I’ve been to a few ‘quieter’ gigs like Nerina Pallot at St Luke’s… what is it with the kunts at gigs who just loudly talk to each other throughout the entire set? At ‘louder’ gigs, such as The Pretty Reckless at the Barras’, three chunts behind me simply shouted louder shite to each other, I ended up moving and found a spot where those round about were at least listening to the band and not screaming in each other’s ears.

Annoying kunts. Unless someone gave them free tickets and they don’t give a shite about who is on stage, then what’s the point of yakking constantly throughout? Even if you did get free tickets, shut yer’ gobs. Just go to a boozer if you want to shout pish to each other…

It’s usually women…in my experience. Three glasses of bitch bubbles and cannae’ shut the fcuk up.

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

On the subject of ‘roasters at gigs’, this year I’ve been to a few ‘quieter’ gigs like Nerina Pallot at St Luke’s… what is it with the kunts at gigs who just loudly talk to each other throughout the entire set? At ‘louder’ gigs, such as The Pretty Reckless at the Barras’, three chunts behind me simply shouted louder shite to each other, I ended up moving and found a spot where those round about were at least listening to the band and not screaming in each other’s ears.

Annoying kunts. Unless someone gave them free tickets and they don’t give a shite about who is on stage, then what’s the point of yakking constantly throughout? Even if you did get free tickets, shut yer’ gobs. Just go to a boozer if you want to shout pish to each other…

It’s usually women…in my experience. Three glasses of bitch bubbles and cannae’ shut the fcuk up.

Had one of them behind me at Roger Waters 😂

As you said was some stupid woman who kept talking to the guy she was with who genuinely seemed to be trying to watch the gig, hopefully a first date and she's been binned.

19 hours ago, Empty It said:

Had one of them behind me at Roger Waters 😂

As you said was some stupid woman who kept talking to the guy she was with who genuinely seemed to be trying to watch the gig, hopefully a first date and she's been binned.

Few years ago went to see Elbow (aye ok my fault then).  Had a decent spot but made the school boy error of leaving a bit of space in front me.  Just before they came on two middle aged women appeared and got into the space in front of me.  Fair enough...until they proceeded to talk sh*te all the way through the gig.  Mostly gossip about someone but then they started talking about the recent going ons in Eastenders through a particularly quiet part of a song.  By this point I'd had enough so tapped one on the shoulder and just put my finger on my lips.  She was fcking seething.  They eventually moved away glaring at me as they went as if I had somehow ruined their evening.  I just don't understand some folk.

Triptides at Broadcast in Glasgow tonight.

Triptides look and sound like they came out of 1970s Los Angeles. They are in fact from modern day LA and what a band they are. Psychedelic rock at it's absolute best. A bloody fantastic show.

Support was from local female fronted garage punks L-Plate and another local band, modern shoegaze merchants Swiss Portrait. Both very good.

3 good bands for £11. Not much better ways to spend a Monday night. Great beer selection in Broadcast as well.

Also, for anyone interested, they have released some extra standing tickets for Iron Maiden at the Hydro in a few weeks. It was showing as sold out until this morning, so if anyone missed out, you can get in quickly and snap them up like I did.

20230605_220146.jpg

Edited by Craig fae the Vale

Went to the Hidden door festival in the old Scottish Widows building in Edinburgh on Sunday.Thought Rozi Plain was good once the sound was sorted. Eyes of Others was ok was there to see both of them and typically it clashed! Most the other bands wasn't great/terrible but I did like Former Champ which is made up of Martha Ffion, Savage Mansion, Catholic Action and Secret Motorbikes (nice indie pop - must have an album coming out soon). 

23 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

Few years ago went to see Elbow (aye ok my fault then).  Had a decent spot but made the school boy error of leaving a bit of space in front me.  Just before they came on two middle aged women appeared and got into the space in front of me.  Fair enough...until they proceeded to talk sh*te all the way through the gig.  Mostly gossip about someone but then they started talking about the recent going ons in Eastenders through a particularly quiet part of a song.  By this point I'd had enough so tapped one on the shoulder and just put my finger on my lips.  She was fcking seething.  They eventually moved away glaring at me as they went as if I had somehow ruined their evening.  I just don't understand some folk.

Nothing worse than someone speaking through a gig! I remember a gig in 2000 which had Sigur Ros/Godspeed you Black Emperor at the Lemon Tree in Aberdeen and Stuart Braithwaite (Mogwai) telling the crowd to shut up! Think Mogwai stopped going to Aberdeen for a while after that, thankfully they have returned. 

Edited by betting competition

2 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Nothing worse than someone speaking through a gig! I remember a gig in 2000 which had Sigur Ros/Godspeed you Black Emperor at the Lemon Tree in Aberdeen and Stuart Braithwaite (Mogwai) telling the crowd to shut up!

Remember a fairly early-ish Mogwai gig at The Arches and Aidan Moffat from Arab Strap doing the same thing to the crowd.  Mind you that was one of those gigs where the audience was mostly a who's who of the Glasgow music scene and think most folk were there just to be seen. 

Got a few more gigs lined-up due to the football trips:

Aberdeen playing preseason friendly at Charlton Athletic on the 29th July so looked at gigs on the 28th and got tickets for Pulp at the Eventim Apollo. 

Scotland playing France in Lille so booked on the Saturday to see Peter Hook and the Lights at Eventim Apollo to play both Joy Division and New Order Substance albums. Still planning a gig on Sunday and after Scotland game I'm seeing Baxter Dury at the Roadhouse on Wednesday. 

Just got back from Alvvays in Berlin on Tuesday and they were superb. Got PIL in Brno, PJ Harvey in Prague and They Might Be Giants in London for the rest of the year

On 08/06/2023 at 00:08, Craig fae the Vale said:

Sir Chloe at SWG3 TV Studio tonight. Absolutely fantastic band, put on a great show.

Support was from Eaves Wilder, who was also great. Impressively heavy. Did not know I needed a garage punk cover of Girls Aloud's Biology, but here we are. 

IMG_20230607_225351_455.jpg

Off to a festival tomorrow where they are playing, and enjoy their new album so one of the bands I really want to see there (alongside Lankum and Interpol). Good to hear they were decent!

Gonna head up to Kippen tomorrow afternoon as they have MacFleet (unsurprisingly a Fleetwood Mac tribute band) playing at their Street Fayre. Should be good.

Got The Mars Volta at the Barrowlands next Friday and then Iron Maiden at the Hydro two weeks on Monday. June turning out to be a big month for gigs.

Also got Def Leppard/Motley Crue, Meet Me @ the Altar, Hot Mulligan/Spanish Love Songs, The National, The Nashville Reunion, Punk Rock Factory, Fall Out Boy, Extreme/Living Colour and Dadi Freyr lined up for the rest of the year. Tempted by Chinese Football and Flyying Colours as well and no doubt will add some more smaller bands. Have totally rediscovered my love of live music over the last year, gonna make the most of it!

Edited by Craig fae the Vale