Gigs

pilsner_ffc

17 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Aye… and I never tried to sort it into a running order either. Shuffle them into a better-paced order and…. Jesus, I’d pay good money just to hear ‘Radio Nowhere - Rosalita - The River’ as a closing three-song salvo. 

Hope to goodness they can make it back one more time, but I sadly don’t see it. Their North American dates currently end on Dec 12. That surely sees the band all blow the candles out on another birthday cake. No idea if 2024 sees them take on Australia, Japan, etc. Either way, after this global jaunt, they wouldn’t do it for at least another two years? Bruce is going to be 76 or something by then. I cannot see it. I can see him then bringing out a new album of new songs, and, unlike, for example, The Stones or The Who, he remains an artist who is still writing, recording, and is relevant, vibrant, and hasn’t stopped the creative process.

Hope against hope I’m wrong, but my gut tells me that was it. You know something though, even if it is, it wasn’t billed as a farewell tour, a last hurrah, or a go out and play the big hits cheerio tour - just a tour. From a band with a collective age of twenty-two thousand. He owes us nothing, if we never see him again. He did it right.

That three song salvo, ooofffft.

He did say the other night something along the lines of "we won't leave it so long next time".  My mate sent something yesterday where someone had said the tour was running into 2024 and a return to Europe was planned.  Could be bullshit though

Since my first ever concert, Slade at the Apollo in 1974, I have kept every single concert ticket in a big ring binder that has just seen me stick the Murrayfield ticket into, to keep the run going. These days, I need to print out a copy of my ‘e-ticket’ or my collection dies in its modern day tracks. Had a leaf back to my first Springsteen gig, St James Park, Newcastle, in 1985…. £14.

I feel old…. and that’s without leafing back to those heady days of the 1970s Glasgow Apollo.

27411C1A-991B-476B-A796-EDB995932C92.jpeg

0BA8D2F2-54F9-4D14-B064-6A971159D0ED.jpeg

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Since my first ever concert, Slade at the Apollo in 1974, I have kept every single concert ticket in a big ring binder that has just seen me stick the Murrayfield ticket into, to keep the run going. These days, I need to print out a copy of my ‘e-ticket’ or my collection dies in its modern day tracks. Had a leaf back to my first Springsteen gig, St James Park, Newcastle, in 1985…. £14.

I feel old…. and that’s without leafing back to those heady days of the 1970s Glasgow Apollo.

That's absolutely awesome 

2 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

If by some miracle Rush ever tour again, @pozbaird will spontaneously combust🫣

I’d be happy to see Alex Lifeson’s new band ‘Envy of None’ live - awesome album that is nothing like Rush*

* Thank fcuk, says many forum users. 😜

42 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Some memory folder that.  Take more photos @pozbaird

Glad I kept my first ticket and started the book back in 1974, sure brings back the memories. The days at the Apollo are increasingly hazy though. Sometimes think it was a different person who trotted up Renfield Street for chips at the Blue Lagoon all those years ago - reeking of patchouli oil and a denim jacket with band patches sewn on. Anyway, before putting the ticket book away, as requested, here’s a few photos. The very first page starting with Slade, another 1970s page, and finally, the page with the most treasured ticket and programme in my entire collection. I will never forget that night in New York until the day I die. Until that night, I could never decide what was the best concert I’d ever been to. Nothing has ever come close though. Still gives me goosebumps thinking about it.

6ECA114E-01AA-4E6D-8589-ED9F189C6B75.jpeg

7A4DDC23-2838-4BBB-B607-5E90A8CB239B.jpeg

On the subject of tickets

I got an email from Ticketmaster the other day about Alvvays. It included this:

t.png.a617d8a7d6547dbc8f4dd4785011f37c.png

If you haven't had the pleasure, those blue bars go from side to side. Their website proudly proclaims:

Ticketmaster SafeTix are encrypted mobile tickets built with leading-edge technology, developed with you in mind, and come standard with powerful fraud and counterfeit protection.

If your event is using SafeTix, you can view your tickets by following the below information:

•    Download the Ticketmaster App & enter your account credentials.
•    Click on your event.
•    You will see a barcode that continually refreshes.
•    Screenshots will not work. You must open the barcode in your account.
•    If you are gifting to someone, please use ticket transfer. Screenshots will not work.

Please make sure you check your tickets within the latest version of the Ticketmaster app, and are logged into the app before you arrive at the venue as mobile data reception can be limited - doing this in advance through the app will ensure that you’ll be able to access them at the venue without connectivity.

Concerned about mobile phone service at events?
This ticket has you covered. Once you view it in our App, your ticket is automatically saved so is always ready.

So naturally when mine gets scanned it doesn't work and was apparently saying "possible screenshot". The app doesn't actually let you take a screenshot at all. Sent down to the box office, they scanned it and said it was fine. Aye cool, I'll rock up at half six to get to the front and Ticketmaster's bullshit gets in the way. c***s.

As for the gig, they were on for barely over an hour and didn't play Party Police. Raging. Here's the other side of the stage from Sweeps:

IMG202305312127231.thumb.jpg.601d0ee5342e6eb4d8c413606ea97989.jpg

5 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Glad I kept my first ticket and started the book back in 1974, sure brings back the memories. The days at the Apollo are increasingly hazy though. Sometimes think it was a different person who trotted up Renfield Street for chips at the Blue Lagoon all those years ago - reeking of patchouli oil and a denim jacket with band patches sewn on. Anyway, before putting the ticket book away, as requested, here’s a few photos. The very first page starting with Slade, another 1970s page, and finally, the page with the most treasured ticket and programme in my entire collection. I will never forget that night in New York until the day I die. Until that night, I could never decide what was the best concert I’d ever been to. Nothing has ever come close though. Still gives me goosebumps thinking about it.

I was at The Police one. The Cramps, in support, were far better.

19 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was at The Police one. The Cramps, in support, were far better.

Funny how you forget what you did yesterday, but you can remember at that gig, Lux Interior of The Cramps leapt off that Apollo stage with zero regard for the height of the thing, and when he landed, started climbing over the front few rows of seats, sending the thug bouncers into a frenzy. 

26 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Funny how you forget what you did yesterday, but you can remember at that gig, Lux Interior of The Cramps leapt off that Apollo stage with zero regard for the height of the thing, and when he landed, started climbing over the front few rows of seats, sending the thug bouncers into a frenzy. 

You'd be lucky if there 500 there that night. The Police would fill Hampden if they reformed now.

This reminds me the 45th anniversary of my first gig, 26 May 1978, The Stranglers and The Skids.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You'd be lucky if there 500 there that night. The Police would fill Hampden if they reformed now.

This reminds me the 45th anniversary of my first gig, 26 May 1978, The Stranglers and The Skids.

My first gig too 👍

14 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I keep all mine in (now two) ring binders. They're all in individual polypockets though. Along with any setlists/stagetimes/guitar picks from the night. Haven't printed e-tickets yet for the ones I'm missing in between but I have been thinking about it. Spoke to some people who just throw them in a box or saw them chucked on the street at the end of the night, never understood that mentality.

I used to have all my tickets in a folder, but they got lost in a house move about 15 years ago. Would be nice if I had a record.

I've been trying to use an app called Concert Archives, but it keeps crashng when I try to sign in and their customer service is non-existent. AH well.

7 hours ago, AnderooMFC said:

I keep all mine in (now two) ring binders. They're all in individual polypockets though. Along with any setlists/stagetimes/guitar picks from the night. Haven't printed e-tickets yet for the ones I'm missing in between but I have been thinking about it. Spoke to some people who just throw them in a box or saw them chucked on the street at the end of the night, never understood that mentality.

As you can see from my photos, mine suffered a bit of ‘death by sellotape’ but have survived to now reside in that big binder. Originally, as a spotty herbert youth, I stuck them on my bedroom wall beside the posters of Rush and Led Zep’ etc. Managed to save them for the binder idea. Happy enough that although showing the scars of battle, they made it through the war. I’ve also got a few setlists in the binder, a couple of plectrums that were flicked in my direction, and so on. Glad you posted, nice to know I’m far from alone. Stick a couple of photos on here!

Looking back at my tickets is always interesting. As you can see from the ‘early’ photos I posted, mostly ‘heavy’ bands, like AC/DC, Rush etc… but I always loved Ian Dury & The Blockheads, liked the early Police stuff, and a few pages later, there’s my tickets for the likes of The Skids, and a memorable one was U2 at Strathclyde Uni’ in 1980 - £1.75 ticket price. As the years went by, the music I discovered and the artists I went to see morphed and changed - The Charlatans, Paul Weller, Elvis Costello…. The last few pages are the likes of Wolf Alice, X Ambassadors, Gang of Youths - all three bands I cannot recommend highly enough, along with Silversun Pickups and an Aussie band called Kingswood. Too many to mention them all.

Looking back, I have to say, there have been some moments I’ll never forget - Crowded House at King Tuts before the ‘Woodface’ album went ballistic. It was the night Tim Finn got kicked out the band (again). The frontmen I have seen who were simply mesmeric - Freddie Mercury (at the Apollo gig), Michael Hutchence of Inxs, and Mika… I will argue to my dying day that Mika is one of the best live acts I’ve ever seen, anywhere, anytime…

Sheesh, I’m off on another memory lane trip here. Apologies forum!

My wife absolutely loves Elton John, so as a result I shall be seeing him perform live for the 4th (fourth) time on June 13th.

To be fair, the first time we went in Glasgow he was excellent and I enjoyed it. The next time at Leicester cricket ground, he couldn't be bothered and f**ked off early after going in the huff with the security staff for not letting people stand.

Last time at Meadowbank was better, and I was assured it'd be the last time.

This gig was booked before covid came along, and all of my wife's pals who were meant to be going have pulled out and sold their tickets. All but one, so here we go again!

In all seriousness, if he's in the mood for it it'll probably be a decent gig.

On 01/06/2023 at 14:03, pozbaird said:

Me and the misses used to frame ours, this is from early 90's to 2013, rest is in a box...you've inspired me to get the laminator out...!!!

20230602_195414.jpg