Gigs

pilsner_ffc

On 30/05/2023 at 10:09, Craig fae the Vale said:

Hope everyone heading to Springsteen tonight has a great time. Gutted not to be able to go this time round.

Was absolutely epic. The whole band must be made of Iron to play like that for 3 hours every 2and night for months. The YouTube clips I had watched of earlier gigs in the tour had me slightly concerned about his voice but it was utterly astonishing for 73yo. The near hour long greatest hits encore was superb. Still buzzing in my hotel room this morning. 

Stunning from Bruce & The E Street Band, but if I’m being picky, could have ditched a couple of songs in the middle of the set for any number of his others. Just my opinion, but the ‘Nightshift’ cover I could have done without. Provided a good moment in the set for a lavvy break though. It’s a bit of a pet hate of mine when artists with such a strong catalogue lose one of their own songs and play a dull cover. Heart, for example, pretty much turn their entire final thirty minutes into a Led Zeppelin tribute band show.

Being pernickety with Bruce though. May be the last time we get to see them live on a huge global tour ever again. If it is, then personally, I could have done without ‘Nightshift’ and ‘Kitty’s Back’. Opinions, opinions. 😃

32 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Stunning from Bruce & The E Street Band, but if I’m being picky, could have ditched a couple of songs in the middle of the set for any number of his others. Just my opinion, but the ‘Nightshift’ cover I could have done without. Provided a good moment in the set for a lavvy break though. It’s a bit of a pet hate of mine when artists with such a strong catalogue lose one of their own songs and play a dull cover. Heart, for example, pretty much turn their entire final thirty minutes into a Led Zeppelin tribute band show.

Being pernickety with Bruce though. May be the last time we get to see them live on a huge global tour ever again. If it is, then personally, I could have done without ‘Nightshift’ and ‘Kitty’s Back’. Opinions, opinions. 😃

Aye agree. We pretty much knew the set list in advance. Would have loved I'm on Fire live. Wife was hoping for an impromptu Waiting on a Sunny Day given the glorious weather but it's being mega picky.

I was there last night too, my Christmas present from the Mrs. Fantastic show which flew by despite the near 3 hours.

I'm not hugely familiar with much of Springsteen's back catalogue other than the well-known hits, but I enjoyed it all with a highlight being Death To My Hometown which was one I didn't know.

Fair play to The Boss, still full of energy at 73. Great performance.

18 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I was there last night too, my Christmas present from the Mrs. Fantastic show which flew by despite the near 3 hours.

I'm not hugely familiar with much of Springsteen's back catalogue other than the well-known hits, but I enjoyed it all with a highlight being Death To My Hometown which was one I didn't know.

Death to my hometown is taken from Wrecking Ball album. An album I really like and is defo worth a listen. 

Am I imagining this  or was SVZ's guitar during No Surrender painted in colours of Ukrainian flag 

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

Same situation as me, don't know much of his back catalogue but still appreciate his full gig as it was some show, missus knows him better, she loved it last night, said it was one of best gigs she's ever been to

8 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Disagree on Nightshift. I love that song, and really like his version.

I do see your point though. He could have sung Hungry Heart (meh), I’m on Fire (less meh) or Brilliant Disguise instead

39 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Disagree on Nightshift. I love that song, and really like his version.

I do see your point though. He could have sung Hungry Heart (meh), I’m on Fire (less meh) or Brilliant Disguise instead

I like Nightshift and many others on his covers album, but to listen to as an album, not so much to see him play live. I was at pains to say I was being nit-picky though! Anyway… 21 song set, 7 encores. One thing no-one will ever be able to make me change my mind on though is that he could have ditched ‘Nightshift’ and replaced it with ‘The River’.  Nothing anyone could say will convince me otherwise, especially if this turns out to be his last rodeo on the big world tour stage.

Anywayyyy… How about this for a setlist (not placed in order) but ZERO duplicates from the Murrayfield 28 song set. Come on Bruce, gie’s another three hours!

1 Atlantic City

2 The River

3 My Hometown

4 The Ghost of Tom Joad (fast version)

5 I’m On Fire

6 American Skin (41 Shots)

7 Human Touch

8 Cadillac Ranch

9 American Land

10 Radio Nowhere

11 Girls In Their Summer Clothes

12 Waitin’ On A Sunny Day

13 Tunnel Of Love

14 Brilliant Disguise

15 Working On A Dream

16 We Take Care Of Our Own

17 Pink Cadillac

18 There Goes My Miracle

19 Western Stars

20 Fire

21 Better Days

1 Leap Of Faith

2 Ramrod

3 Hungry Heart

4 You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)

5 Jungleland

6 Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

7 Long Time Coming

Edited by pozbaird

6 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Am I imagining this  or was SVZ's guitar during No Surrender painted in colours of Ukrainian flag 

No, it definitely was the Ukrainian coloured guitar for No Surrender, and then he went back to his usual guitar for the rest of the gig.  Also SVZ is pulling off that pirate rock god look better and better with age,

37 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I like Nightshift and many others on his covers album, but to listen to as an album, not so much to see him play live. I was at pains to say I was being nit-picky though! Anyway… 21 song set, 7 encores. One thing no-one will ever be able to make me change my mind on though is that he could have ditched ‘Nightshift’ and replaced it with ‘The River’.  Nothing anyone could say will convince me otherwise, especially if this turns out to be his last rodeo on the big world tour stage.

Anywayyyy… How about this for a setlist (not placed in order) but ZERO duplicates from the Murrayfield 28 song set. Come on Bruce, gie’s another three hours!

1 Atlantic City

2 The River

3 My Hometown

5 I’m On Fire

7 Human Touch

8 Cadillac Ranch

9 American Land

10 Radio Nowhere

13 Tunnel Of Love

14 Brilliant Disguise

15 Working On A Dream

17 Pink Cadillac

18 There Goes My Miracle

19 Western Stars

20 Fire

21 Better Days

1 Leap Of Faith

2 Ramrod

3 Hungry Heart

5 Jungleland

7 Long Time Coming

I would have absolutely loved to have heard Jungleland, My Hometown and Better Days.

Not ashamed to admit when he fired up the first few notes of the harmonica for Thunder Road I genuinely had a tear in my eye and goosebumps. For me it's my favourite ever song. Was a privilege to hear that performed live.

Echoing everyone else by saying Springsteen was unreal last night. Not quite as good as the Barca gig a few weeks ago, but I’d had more pints, and he played Human Touch from nowhere at that one. He didn’t play Johnny 99 or Darkness there though, so they weren’t far off each other. 

I think most people could’ve done without that long Kitty’s Back, but the setlist is structured to give the band of 73 year olds a bit of a breather while the E Street horns take centre stage. He’s literally just put out Only The Strong Survive so you can forgive him one song from it (I like Nighshift for what it’s worth). That back catalogue is so strong though that he could play for 6 hours and still not play everyone’s favourite song.

Really hope they’ve got another tour or three left in them, but it still astounds me how not even one of them are pulling out of these long tours. There’s something in that E Street water. 

Really wanted to go to Alvvays tonight but couldn’t get a ticket, hope those who went loved it. Michael Timmons next for me on Friday, then Screaming Females in Brussels next week.

1 minute ago, GrahamJags said:

Echoing everyone else by saying Springsteen was unreal last night. Not quite as good as the Barca gig a few weeks ago, but I’d had more pints, and he played Human Touch from nowhere at that one. He didn’t play Johnny 99 or Darkness there though, so they weren’t far off each other. 

I think most people could’ve done without that long Kitty’s Back, but the setlist is structured to give the band of 73 year olds a bit of a breather while the E Street horns take centre stage. He’s literally just put out Only The Strong Survive so you can forgive him one song from it (I like Nighshift for what it’s worth). That back catalogue is so strong though that he could play for 6 hours and still not play everyone’s favourite song.

Really hope they’ve got another tour or three left in them, but it still astounds me how not even one of them are pulling out of these long tours. There’s something in that E Street water. 

Really wanted to go to Alvvays tonight but couldn’t get a ticket, hope those who went loved it. Michael Timmons next for me on Friday, then Screaming Females in Brussels next week.

Oh,oh,oh Springsteen was on fire 🔥 

Echoing other comments, last night Springsteen was tremendous. Would have loved a more varied setlist but everything was done down to a tee. 

First time seeing him was 2009 at Hampden and I really think he sounds much better now and looks in better shape for a 73 year old now than he did as a 59 year old then. 

I can see at least another tour after this one. The band seemed on top form. Nobody was going through the motions.

13 hours ago, pozbaird said:

1 Atlantic City

2 The River

3 My Hometown

5 I’m On Fire

7 Human Touch

8 Cadillac Ranch

9 American Land

10 Radio Nowhere

13 Tunnel Of Love

14 Brilliant Disguise

15 Working On A Dream

17 Pink Cadillac

18 There Goes My Miracle

19 Western Stars

20 Fire

21 Better Days

1 Leap Of Faith

2 Ramrod

3 Hungry Heart

5 Jungleland

7 Long Time Coming

That's a testament to how strong his catalogue is, because that is a fucking banging setlist as well

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

That's a testament to how strong his catalogue is, because that is a fucking banging setlist as well

Aye… and I never tried to sort it into a running order either. Shuffle them into a better-paced order and…. Jesus, I’d pay good money just to hear ‘Radio Nowhere - Rosalita - The River’ as a closing three-song salvo. 

Hope to goodness they can make it back one more time, but I sadly don’t see it. Their North American dates currently end on Dec 12. That surely sees the band all blow the candles out on another birthday cake. No idea if 2024 sees them take on Australia, Japan, etc. Either way, after this global jaunt, they wouldn’t do it for at least another two years? Bruce is going to be 76 or something by then. I cannot see it. I can see him then bringing out a new album of new songs, and, unlike, for example, The Stones or The Who, he remains an artist who is still writing, recording, and is relevant, vibrant, and hasn’t stopped the creative process.

Hope against hope I’m wrong, but my gut tells me that was it. You know something though, even if it is, it wasn’t billed as a farewell tour, a last hurrah, or a go out and play the big hits cheerio tour - just a tour. From a band with a collective age of twenty-two thousand. He owes us nothing, if we never see him again. He did it right.