Gigs

pilsner_ffc

18 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It was quite nice, if anyone cares.

Metric at SWG3 tonight.

Nice! I've been a huge fan of Metric since Black Sheep was on the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack but I've never had a chance to see them live. Enjoy!

12 minutes ago, MSU said:

Nice! I've been a huge fan of Metric since Black Sheep was on the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack but I've never had a chance to see them live. Enjoy!

Black Sheep was the highlight last time as a girl launched herself from somewhere behind me waving her forearm at the stage when they were playing that. Presumably she had a relevant tattoo. Completely ignored for the full four minutes. Sad stuff.

RAG48eE.jpg

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It was quite nice, if anyone cares.

Metric at SWG3 tonight.

I was tempted by Metric, but I've got too much on this week. Had Nickel Creek last night and I've got 2 nights of Aoife O'Donovan, The Unthanks and Bonny Light Horseman to go to.

Nickel Creek were awesome. 

Edited by BallochSonsFan

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I was tempted by Metric, but I've got too much on this week. Had Nickel Creek last night and I've got 2 nights of Aoife O'Donovan, The Unthanks and Bonny Light Horseman to go to.

Nickel Creek were awesome

Seriously? Nickel Creek and Metric in the same week? This is Scotland's revenge on me leaving.

16 minutes ago, MSU said:

Seriously? Nickel Creek and Metric in the same week? This is Scotland's revenge on me leaving.

Nickel Creek show was sold out. Celtic Connections gig. I've seen Sara Watkins loads of times - solo and as part of I'm With Her. First time seeing Nickel Creek together as a band. Only thing that would have made the show better is if Sara had done her cover of Long Hot Summer Day. 

Aoife O'Donovan is playing Tuesday (her Springsteen/Nebraska thing) and Wednesday (own stuff). I think they could have flown Sarah Jarosz in to Glasgow for an I'm With Her show since the other 2 were in town so close to each other.  Thats just bad planning. And me being greedy.

4 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Nickel Creek were awesome. 

You missed me shouting DRUM SOLO at an appropriate time and getting a laugh, so it's your loss.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Nickel Creek show was sold out. Celtic Connections gig. I've seen Sara Watkins loads of times - solo and as part of I'm With Her. First time seeing Nickel Creek together as a band. Only thing that would have made the show better is if Sara had done her cover of Long Hot Summer Day. 

Aoife O'Donovan is playing Tuesday (her Springsteen/Nebraska thing) and Wednesday (own stuff). I think they could have flown Sarah Jarosz in to Glasgow for an I'm With Her show since the other 2 were in town so close to each other.  Thats just bad planning. And me being greedy.

Sara Watkins and Chris Thile are incredibly talented and the three of them as a bunch are so entertaining. Their take on Toxic is chefs kiss stuff. 

Thought that The Darkness & Black Stone Cherry was a bit of a weird combination for an arena tour.

Love both bands having seen both live many, many times but after The Darkness played as they do with all energy & pomp & pyro it felt like BSC fell a bit flat in comparison as their styles live are pretty damn different.

Which is a shame as normally BSC bring it live but I felt like the Hydro being so big swallowed up their live performance while I've seen them kill it in a sold out Barrowlands a couple times - don't think it helped that neither band were plugging new material except for the one new song BSC played 🤷‍♂️

Still enjoyable but I've seen both bands perform better headlining their own gig in a smaller venue.

Aoife O'Donovan playing the whole of Springsteen's Nebraska album at the CCA. Absolutely superb.

Useless venue staff placing weird additional demands on folk and not actually telling everybody who was queuing to get into the gig wasn't so good. And the duty manager on the night is a huffy wee b*****d. Folk are going to be understandably miffed if they got to the venue early to queue and get a seat near the front of the stage, only to be told that they had to go back down to the front door to check in with the person with the ticket sales list. Subsequently about 50 people who had joined the queue after them get into the performance area and nab the best seats.

Not good CCA. Not good at all.

No such fuckwittery from Oran Mor tomorrow (I hope) for Aoife round 2.

21 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Aoife O'Donovan playing the whole of Springsteen's Nebraska album at the CCA. Absolutely superb.

I watched a good a bit of this on the YouTubes and she's mesmerizing. What a talent.

3 hours ago, MSU said:

I watched a good a bit of this on the YouTubes and she's mesmerizing. What a talent.

Rumours that she may be releasing her take on the album on vinyl at some point.

Saw her again tonight doing her own stuff. I've seen Aoife loads of times and she's never anything less than brilliant.

8 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

There's Ozzy cancelled his tour for good. Not fit to do it. Bought the tickets in Sept 2018. Shame

Never seen Sabbath live but I was at Ozzys very first post Sabbath gig at a sold out Glasgow Apollo September 12 1980. He looked to be shaking with fear as the curtain went up but soon got into his stride. Great night.

An Tobar 25 Years - Drygate

A glorious way to round off the Celtic Connections festival: an enormously fun Saturday afternoon of collaborations from across Scottish traditional music. Duncan Chisholm and Kim Carnie were also superb at the Concert Hall on Thursday night.

Highlights from the previous week's CC gigs were Assynt and Ímar. 

Jealous to have missed out on Suede's special gig at Stereo last night, but have their gigs at Glasgow and Newcastle to look forward to next month.  

Mull Historical Society at St Lukes on Friday night, part of Celtic Connections.

A celebration of 20 years of the first two albums Loss and Us in front of a sellout audience.

St Lukes is a great venue for Colin McIntyre's music. A much underrated artist, it was great to hear these fantastic songs live again after all this time.

IMG_20230203_204926.jpg

Was at The Unthanks on Friday. I first saw them playing in 2008 up at Belladrum. Enjoyed their set and decided I'd try to see them in a normal concert setting. Did absolutely nothing to make that happen for near 15 years. They're not a band I've spent a lot of time listening to. If I'm listening to UK folk music then I'd rather listen to the likes of Nick Drake or Richard Thomson. The Unthanks aren't my usual type of music. For a more modern take on things then my go to would be Kate Stables and her band This Is The Kit.

But there's no denying that The Unthanks are great at what they do and I enjoyed the gig. They didnt do their cover of Robert Wyatt's Sea Song and I felt that their set was a little short on songs from their first 2 albums (as Rachel Unthank and The Winterset). But the band backing them were hugely talented and what they performed was very good. Understandably they made sure to include the songs that even casual fans were likely to know best  Magpie and Scarecrow from Detectorists and Wurzel Gummage and also King of Rome.  Testimony of Patience Kershaw too.

Overall a very enjoyable night. Not my usual type of gig, but I can appreciate their talent as performers and I like them enough to eventually get round to listening to them more.

Bonny Light Horseman tonight. Last of the Celtic Connections gigs. Really looking forward to this one. Anais Mitchell's own stuff is a bit marmite. Folk either really like her or just can't take to her at all. I'm not expecting any of her solo material. The Bonny Light Horseman stuff is great and will fill out the set tonight no problem, although if they want to play some of the individual band members' material then I'll be more than happy to hear it. 

Get CC out the way and I can start looking for tickets to fill the next couple of months.

37 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Have you heard Rozi Plain new album? I think its very good. 

Not yet. If I can make plans for her Feb/March dates (possibly Newcastle) then I'll get it at the gig. If not then I'll pick it up when I've caught up with the records I got for Christmas.