Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Hayseed Dixie at York, July. If that fat fucking floor mop holds to his roadmap, will be getting proper sweaty to some quality mountain music. Can't wait. Seriously, I can't remember being this excited to go to a gig since the Apollo/Pavilion glory days in the 70s.[emoji322]

• 3 weeks later...

George Thorogood now rescheduled (again!) for July 2022. I hope he makes it*. One of the reasons  I bought tickets to see him was to avoid getting Tom Pettyed again. I can't afford to be saying, "ach, I'll catch them next time" when my heroes are all getting up past buspass age. 

*Hope I make it, an' all!

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2021 at 16:17, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

A long while away but got tickets for Primavera sound next year! Would have preferred the first weekend but for my partner's 30th and she's a big Dua head so went for the second. Already can't wait, managed to miss it the two years I was living there.

I went in 2018 and fucking loved it mate. Would love to go back, it's a top vibe. The lineups look sick as always.

I've picked up some tickets to see Britain's best new band, Real Lies, in Liverpool. They're playing Manchester next month but it's totally sold out. Am tempted to message the venue and pop in and see if they're maybe holding some back for the night or whatever.

ETA: can see myself getting to the night and DMing asking for guesty am that keen to see them again.

Edited by NotThePars

On 03/06/2021 at 16:17, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

A long while away but got tickets for Primavera sound next year! Would have preferred the first weekend but for my partner's 30th and she's a big Dua head so went for the second. Already can't wait, managed to miss it the two years I was living there.

My sister has been going to that one for at least 5 or 6 years on the trot now, she was telling me the other day after it had been halted for 2 years they were making it up with a 2 week festival? You need to be between 16-24 to handle that type of sesh...

11 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I went in 2018 and fucking loved it mate. Would love to go back, it's a top vibe. The lineups look sick as always.

I've picked up some tickets to see Britain's best new band, Real Lies, in Liverpool. They're playing Manchester next month but it's totally sold out. Am tempted to message the venue and pop in and see if they're maybe holding some back for the night or whatever.

ETA: can see myself getting to the night and DMing asking for guesty am that keen to see them again.

Aye I was a bit more keen on the first weekend but so much I want to see the second as well. I always met folk who were over for Primavera just kicking about and they always seemed to be having the best time. I arrived to live in the city the same weekend in 2017 and had to work the next so managed to miss it. 2018 must have been a bit brutal though man, that summer the heat was just too much 

9 hours ago, Stormzy said:

My sister has been going to that one for at least 5 or 6 years on the trot now, she was telling me the other day after it had been halted for 2 years they were making it up with a 2 week festival? You need to be between 16-24 to handle that type of sesh...

Aye could get a bit wild, just the two of us going so will hopefully curtail my gremlin brain a little bit. Her first time in Barcelona as well and there's lots of restaurants, bars and cool wee neighbourhoods on the outskirts I want to show her from when I lived there so might go up 2/3 days in advance. 

• 1 month later...

Just back from seeing Jason Isbell which was my first gig in way over a year and really enjoyed it. Support was Lucinda Williams who suffered a stroke in May, she is 68 but what a performer. She had to be helped on the stage and stood up holding a chair but her voice is still amazing. great to be back.

• 3 weeks later...

My first post-covid gig was on Friday there, Anna Meredith at the Edinburgh Festival. My first live music since .. *checks notes* .. Anna Meredith at Oran Mor in February last year. And it was mostly the same set, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very much looking forward to Black Country, New Road at the same venue tomorrow.

It's a big semi-open marquee thing they've got set up at Edinburgh Park for it. Strictly seated, and each ticketed group is socially distanced. Bit of a strange experience all round, but great to get back to some music nonetheless.

End of the Road in a couple of weekends time, which will be at full capacity and will be a different vibe entirely. Which is also going to feel weird, but for different reasons.

Back gigging this week for the first time since Big Thief in March 2020! 

Black Midi on Thursday night, then Manchester Psych Fest on Saturday. Featuring amongst others: Stereolab, BEAK>, Dry Cleaning, Crack Cloud, Porridge Radio, Bo Ningen, Gwenno.

Thoroughly looking forward to both!