Gigs

pilsner_ffc

My first ever gig was Pink Floyd at Earls Court in 1994, next would have been REM at Murrayfield in 1995, also saw Blur at SECC in 1996. Ridiculously high standard to follow. I was but a child then.

Started going regularly to gigs when I went to Uni in 1996, and have never really stopped since, only having a child has slowed me down a bit.

Remember so many great nights at The Venue and the Liquid Rooms in the late 90s, in those days it would have been a rare week where I wasn't in there for something or other, but one night in Spring 1997 with Mansun supported by Travis always jumps to mind as a classic of its era. Also the Beta Band at La Belle Angelle.

Big life changer for me was Autumn 1997. I saw Teenage Fanclub and then Mogwai in quick succession, both at the Jaffa Cake. Mogwai in particular I've went on to see countless times since, in all sorts of places.

Another memorable night was The Doves at Bowery Ballroom in NYC in 2005. Only gig I've entered via a fire escape having bribed the security.

I'm really missing it, 75 days since the last one. I'd guess these days I get to about 50 gigs a year or thereabouts, so the absence of it has left a big void in my life.

Not sure what the "other side" of this pandemic is going to look like for gigs. I don't think I'm quite ready yet to be wishing to go to another gig, I'm frankly scared of being in a big crowd again! But I'm sure when it takes off again I'll get back into it quickly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2020 at 08:31, Deanburn Dave said:

With no gigs on these days it's time to reminisce.......40 years ago today at Grangemouth Town Hall I saw the one and only Gary Moore fronting his project band G-Force. Parisienne Walkways and Back on the Streets never sounded so good.

Brilliant guitarist , mate loaned me a couple of albums powerful blues/ rock. Albums now on my radar.  Your one lucky man having seen him live. 

Edited by ZingaliMan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought tckts for Fontaines DC next year but can't see me buying for anything else just now!
Think gigs as we know them could be a thing of the past, just can't imagine 2000 sweaty punters, singing an dancing, chucking beer about, will be allowed for a while, unless a vaccine is found!
I sincerely hope I'm wrong and things improve soon but just can't see it!
Was meant to be at Rebellion at Blackpool this weekend too!...... Ah well!

12 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

Tickets purchased for UB40 at the usher hall, try again next year for The Killers and Diana Ross. ELO haven’t rescheduled but have refunded which is pish

Sorry heed but that is a line up from the bowels of Hell, and one of them might be going back there.

https://news.sky.com/story/ub40-singer-duncan-campbell-in-hospital-after-suffering-a-stroke-12042181

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Sorry heed but that is a line up from the bowels of Hell, and one of them might be going back there.

https://news.sky.com/story/ub40-singer-duncan-campbell-in-hospital-after-suffering-a-stroke-12042181

😂 he’ll be fine by then, seen them last year and they were brilliant and it’s a night on the piss. Don’t dare diss Diana though 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 27/08/2020 at 18:11, GrahamJags said:

Anyone know if there’s a way to watch the Nick Cave solo performance at Alexandra Palace from a couple of weeks ago? Missed it at the time and have been trying to find a stream of it ever since.

The album comes out in November I think.

14 hours ago, Willow Rosenberg said:

Got a ticket for The Music in Leeds. They seem determined that if it can't go ahead, they'll keep rearranging and really want to do this gig whenever they can.

Will be at this too, their gig at the barras, 2003 i think, was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.  Incredible live and Robs dance moves (and hair) were a spectacle.

3 hours ago, the aggressive beggar said:

Will be at this too, their gig at the barras, 2003 i think, was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.  Incredible live and Robs dance moves (and hair) were a spectacle.

They clashed with REM at T. I never knew how disappointing REM would be so I wouldn't call it a regret since it's a decision I'd make ten times out of ten. But The Music would have blown them out of the water that night. 

2003 incidentally. 

Edited by Willow Rosenberg