Gigs

pilsner_ffc

That was my first experience of the Carling Academy and I was pleasantly suprised at the venue after having heard horror stories about the sound.

It was a tremendous concert and it is probably the first time I can recall grinning from ear to ear for a whole gig. Sparks are arguably my favourite band and having not played Scotland since about 94 they played Glasgow twice this year. If anything, the gig at the ABC in October was possibly better than the Carling Academy one.

Probably the first time since I was a teenager that I bought a T shirt and programme at a gig but it's Sparks godammit.

I went to both of the ones in glasgow this year also went to the one down in farham and seen them and seen them up in skye :lol::ph34r:

my dad followed them there tour in september/october which he also does for some reason :lol: i say theres no point when you have already seen them the same tour. :blink::lol:

Guest Spanky Rodriguez

Oooh, do hurry! I can't wait to hear about how "solid" and "workmanlike" their performance was!

:lol:

How many members of Ocean Colour Scene does it take to change a lightbulb?

Two. One to change the light bulb and the other to ask Paul Weller if it's ok :ph34r:

Shit joke for you there mod fans.

Massive Attack, Brixton Academy in February. I don't get out much ;)

A bit worried about this one. Blue Lines is one of my favourite albums of all time. Ditto Protection (with the exception of the appalling "Light my Fire).

Mezzanine was pretty damn fine too.

100th Window was total pish.

We'll see............

I went to both of the ones in glasgow this year also went to the one down in farham and seen them and seen them up in skye :lol::ph34r:

my dad followed them there tour in september/october which he also does for some reason :lol: i say theres no point when you have already seen them the same tour. :blink::lol:

For the most part I'd agree that there's no point following a band for the whole tour. I went to 2 of the Morrissey gigs on consecutive nights back in April (Dundee & Greenock) and felt that was more than enough, but I could have happily watched a couple more of these Sparks shows. There was so much ingenuity and humour in the visuals used in the 'Hello Young Lovers' section that it bears repeated viewing, and after the gig at the Carling Academy all of the crowd I was with were regretting the fact that we didn't get a ticket for the next night in Gateshead.

I consider you a lucky so and so having seen them 4 times this year. As for your old man.....

Went to see Status Quo at the P & J Arena at Aiberdeen, ably supported by a Swiss band called Vivian, poppy punky Green Day-ish but far superior, and an Australian blues band The Twentysevens, very very good. The Quo were absolutely fantastic, from the opening bars of Caroline to the closing notes of Bye Bye Johnny the place was jumping. Only disappointment was Burning Bridges, which I hate, but an extremely minor quibble. They just get better every time I see them.

Great to see Rick Parfitt looking so healthy after last years cancer scare.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blitzhoney in the Buff (Club), tonight. Support band onstage 9pm, Blitzhoney onstage 10pm. It's free entry, we're unreliably led to believe.

The Daily Record says go!

byRick Fulton

BLITZHONEY

ANOTHER great new British new wave band who happen to come from Scotland.

Sounding like Echo & The Bunnymen fronted by The Pogues' Shane MacGowan, it's the mix of jaggy guitars and almost slurred vocals that take Blitzhoney away from all the other multitude of bands hoping to have the same success as Franz Ferdinand.

The four-track demo starts with Strangers in the Dark, has the same nightime swagger of Echo &The Bunnymen's Killing Moon and a great hook chorus "we don't have to fall in love this time". But the most fully realised of the tunes is Laura.

A blood-smeared slice of goth pop with a dub bass and lyrics - "Laura steals me flowers from the graves of her old lovers".

Robert Smith would be proud. Blitzhoney are another band you should watch out for.

They play Glasgow's The Buff Club tonight, Nice 'N' Sleazy, Glasgow, on February 3 and The Crow Bar, Paisley on February 15.

www.blitzhoney.com