Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Worth noting that these rumours of Glasgow being a date for GNR came about pretty much the same time as PCL taking folk to court for the state of the stage at Green Day. So my guess is it's PCL who are trying to bring them up. Which sounds like it could be a good laugh if nothing else.

Just back from Alter Bridge and Shinedown at the Hydro. I own all the albums by both bands, but have never seen either live before, so a genuine ‘double headliner’ night for me. I thought Shinedown did a good job engaging the crowd with an ‘old ham’ act that I’ve only seen Paul Stanley of Kiss better for a cheese-o-meter rating of 100+. Good support act schtick. Powerful vocals, and a feelgood factor. Fair play to them.

The musicianship of Alter Bridge was an absolute joy. Tight as a duck’s arse - powerful, great stage show, fantastic musicianship. My only issue with Alter Bridge is that I think a lot of their songs are samey. Hard to distinguish between some of the songs. It was worth the admission money for ‘Watch Over You’ alone though. What an utterly wonderful combination of beauty and hard rock in one song.

Best musicianship I’ve seen live since seeing Rush, IMHO.

Edited by pozbaird

I made the same "samey" point on Alter Bridge to my mate. They're terrific right enough but on a live show it can get a bit grating.

Shinedown were a joy as they always are. Loads of energy, which is something else I thought Alter Bridge lacked a lot of the time.

Edited by Andrew Wells

It's just not Myles Kennedy or Mark Tremonti's style to throw themselves about the stage in the same way the Shinedown guys do.

Go see a Tremonti gig & it's the same kind of idea, tight AF musicianship with great songs but don't expect a great deal of movement/energy from Mark & the rest of his band.

18 minutes ago, cdisaaccie said:

It's just not Myles Kennedy or Mark Tremonti's style to throw themselves about the stage in the same way the Shinedown guys do.

Go see a Tremonti gig & it's the same kind of idea, tight AF musicianship with great songs but don't expect a great deal of movement/energy from Mark & the rest of his band.

I think Alter Bridge just need to mix up the sets a bit to get it right. That sort of thing stands out if not. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you can't translate it to the live arena, yer fucked.

Alter Bridge clearly can btw. It lost ME and I hope I've got my point across as to why. So they probably don't need to mix it up. 

I said much the same last night - no bells and whistles with Alter Bridge, just tight & on the money - Myles hardly moved all night.  Never seen someone from the crowd given a guitar before mind!

The set list wasn't disappointing but most of those song wouldn't have been on my list.

Still really enjoyed it though.

1 hour ago, Andrew Wells said:

That's me going to see Harry Styles.

I posted on another thread that I really like his new album. Should be a good gig. The boy can sing, and has some good songs under his belt. The opening three tracks on his new album will be great live. One of the best live acts I’ve ever seen was Mika. A fantastic showman, and live, his band were really beefed up and the atmosphere was brilliant. The only downside to a Harry Styles gig could be drunk lassies wearing red glittery cowboy hats, waving plastic tumblers of vodka and screaming for him to get his knob out.

5 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Yep, they were excellent. Always great fun :) 

Not sure if the playing of the new album in its entirety worked or not. Parts of it were good, but the gig never really took off until the second ‘hits’ set. I reckon if the Darkness toured again in a couple of years, only two songs from ‘Easter’ will remain in the set. ‘Rock & Roll Deserves to Die’ from the new album is brilliant live though. A great set-opener. Shame they never played ‘Bareback’ or ‘Open Fire’ though. 

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Not sure if the playing of the new album in its entirety worked or not. Parts of it were good, but the gig never really took off until the second ‘hits’ set. I reckon if the Darkness toured again in a couple of years, only two songs from ‘Easter’ will remain in the set. ‘Rock & Roll Deserves to Die’ from the new album is brilliant live though. A great set-opener. Shame they never played ‘Bareback’ or ‘Open Fire’ though. 

The new stuff started off well but tailed off a bit. Heavy Metal Lover is a fantastic song. Agree about Open Fire, one of my favourite TD songs.