Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Gig was pretty decent. A few pints and a good atmosphere in general. Sound was fucked the first 4/5 songs but that apart I will have no qualms about doing the same again in future. Even kept it to 4 pints, which is unbelievably low for a gig.

As long as we're reminiscing, I'm so happy I seen Linkin Park when I did. Only days before... that. Chester was in incredible voice and the band have never sounded better. It fucking destroyed me to hear what happened on my first day back in work after it.

9 hours ago, Andrew Wells said:

As long as we're reminiscing, I'm so happy I seen Linkin Park when I did. Only days before... that. Chester was in incredible voice and the band have never sounded better. It fucking destroyed me to hear what happened on my first day back in work after it.

Similarly, seeing Frightened Rabbit at the Academy last year for the Midnight Organ Fight ten year anniversary will always be my most cherished gig memory. I originally missed out on tickets and was going to leave it, then u-turned and paid a fortune on Viagogo, since ten year anniversaries only happen once. I'd seen them before and I got to see Scott one more time afterwards with Mastersystem, but to be there for what turned out to be my favourite band's last ever gig, to see my favourite album of all time played in full, was such a privilege. I only wish I had eschewed the usual routine of getting pished and missing the odd bit to go to the bathroom and instead really drunk it all in and savoured the moment.

Before Scott died I only really bothered to go to a handful of gigs a year, to see bands whose every word I could sing back to them. These days I try to make a concerted effort to go to see anyone I enjoy listening to, regardless of my familiarity with their entire discography, even if no one wants to come with me or it means travelling a little. You never know when you'll never get another chance.

Edited by Meathead

About to head into a busy little gig-spell. (for living "oop North and having to travelll)

All in November;

She Drew the Gun, Catfish, Tosca (Opera dahlink) Ezra Furman and then Idles at beginning of December.

Also got Johnathan Pie and a five day car rally to fit in... not much work being done by AM in November!

47 minutes ago, Am Muilleach said:

About to head into a busy little gig-spell. (for living "oop North and having to travelll)

All in November;

She Drew the Gun, Catfish, Tosca (Opera dahlink) Ezra Furman and then Idles at beginning of December.

Also got Johnathan Pie and a five day car rally to fit in... not much work being done by AM in November!

Similar to yourself, after The Libertines last night I have Lewis Capaldi on Friday, Patent Ochsner(Sort of a Swiss version of the Proclaimers) on Saturday and then Glenn Hansard next week at some point. Nothing at all booked after that, as it stands.

Booked up for Arab Strap in November, then Ride, De Rosa and Christmas Carousal (RM Hubbert, Carla Easton, Broken Chanter) in December. Nothing in gig diary for 2020 until King Creosote in March, if I survive another winter.

Hoping for 2020 that Mogwai do a run of shows for their 25th anniversary, much like the 2015 shows. If so, I'll be at as many of them as I can manage.

On 29/10/2019 at 12:07, Meathead said:

Similarly, seeing Frightened Rabbit at the Academy last year for the Midnight Organ Fight ten year anniversary will always be my most cherished gig memory. I originally missed out on tickets and was going to leave it, then u-turned and paid a fortune on Viagogo, since ten year anniversaries only happen once. I'd seen them before and I got to see Scott one more time afterwards with Mastersystem, but to be there for what turned out to be my favourite band's last ever gig, to see my favourite album of all time played in full, was such a privilege. I only wish I had eschewed the usual routine of getting pished and missing the odd bit to go to the bathroom and instead really drunk it all in and savoured the moment.

Before Scott died I only really bothered to go to a handful of gigs a year, to see bands whose every word I could sing back to them. These days I try to make a concerted effort to go to see anyone I enjoy listening to, regardless of my familiarity with their entire discography, even if no one wants to come with me or it means travelling a little. You never know when you'll never get another chance.

This is why I went to  Leeds and Edinburgh last November to see Mogwai and The Twilight Sad.

Ed - by myself, I might add.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

On that note, whats the general thoughts on attending gigs on your lonesome? Can't recall ever having been in this position before!

Going to see The Rifles on my own tonight, Couldn’t get anyone to come but f**k missing it cause I’ve no mates. Done the pictures a few times too, don’t see the problem tbh.

Damnation Festival was a mixed bag this year.  I changed my plans around a bit:

The good: Alunah, Dawn Ray'd, Blood Red Throne, MGLA, Primordial, Alcest, Big Business

The bad: Bird in a Row, Opeth

The meh: Carnation, Gaahl's Wyrd, Mayhem

Mayhem and Opeth were not helped by the Jagermeister stage acoustics. Big Business and Alunah were surprisingly good. Hadn't expected much from them. Favourite banf was MGLA or Blood Red Throne, but Primordial got my biggest pop of the night when they opened with Where Greater Men Have Fallen. It's an absolute banger.

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

Damnation Festival was a mixed bag this year.  I changed my plans around a bit:

The good: Alunah, Dawn Ray'd, Blood Red Throne, MGLA, Primordial, Alcest, Big Business

The bad: Bird in a Row, Opeth

The meh: Carnation, Gaahl's Wyrd, Mayhem

Mayhem and Opeth were not helped by the Jagermeister stage acoustics. Big Business and Alunah were surprisingly good. Hadn't expected much from them. Favourite banf was MGLA or Blood Red Throne, but Primordial got my biggest pop of the night when they opened with Where Greater Men Have Fallen. It's an absolute banger.

Big business are awesome, my favourite period in the recent history of the Melvins is when they teamed up with BB. The album a senile animal is amazing.

1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

Big business are awesome, my favourite period in the recent history of the Melvins is when they teamed up with BB. The album a senile animal is amazing.

I didn't even know this was a thing but holy crap I'm going to play this album to death

Lewis Capaldi on Friday: I like Kaufleuten as a venue, and the boy is some singer, but the music itself just doesn't do it for me and I'd have struggled to tell when one song finished and the next started if not for his chat between songs. Seems a decent sort but I will be making her take someone else if it comes up again.

Patent Ochsner on Saturday: Essentially they are Switzerlands version of The Proclaimers. Decent enough atmosphere and I quite liked the venue(Several hundred year old building that was previously the towns salt depository) but the lead singer has a c**t of a Bernese dialect and I understood next to f**k all of what he was saying. Worth it all the same.