Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Guest Moomintroll
I got a cheap ticket for Kiss last night and have seldom been more entertained. I'm not particularly a fan (they have about four decent tunes), but the two or so hours flew by due to the total theatre of it. Would definitely go and see them again.
Erm, about that last sentence.......

2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:
2 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Their first “farewell” tour was in 2000. They’ll be back.

I know but it looks like they mean it this time.

Can’t see them ever doing a tour like this again. Just look online at their upcoming American, Australian, NZ, Asian dates.... tons of them. After a tour on this scale, any band would never do another for at least two years. Looking at Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley’s age, and the undeniable fact that Stanley’s voice is on its last legs, just cannot see it.

Guest Moomintroll
Can’t see them ever doing a tour like this again. Just look online at their upcoming American, Australian, NZ, Asian dates.... tons of them. After a tour on this scale, any band would never do another for at least two years. Looking at Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley’s age, and the undeniable fact that Stanley’s voice is on its last legs, just cannot see it.
Yeah that's my take on it too, the only hope might be a one off Download farewell but even that would be a long shot.

6 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
26 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Yeah that's my take on it too, the only hope might be a one off Download farewell but even that would be a long shot.

Cannae’ complain though. Forty years of albums, concerts, getting out there and always putting on a top notch professional show. Say what you like about them, but they took pride in their craft. Like Rush - fantastic live shows for 40 plus years. 

U2 will likely match them both for longevity, and pride in their work. Springsteen is still doing it (on a worldwide massive show level). Wonder if a band like Coldplay will do it too. Who knows.

The Stones will probably still be playing the odd live show in a hundred years from now. 😀

Cannae’ complain though. Forty years of albums, concerts, getting out there and always putting on a top notch professional show. Say what you like about them, but they took pride in their craft. Like Rush - fantastic live shows for 40 plus years. 
U2 will likely match them both for longevity, and pride in their work. Springsteen is still doing it (on a worldwide massive show level). Wonder if a band like Coldplay will do it too. Who knows.
The Stones will probably still be playing the odd live show in a hundred years from now. [emoji3]

Could chuck Metallica in amongst that too.

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Could chuck Metallica in amongst that too.

There will be loads more, once you think about it. If we’re talking about a band still recording, playing big tours, still playing well and being relevant, then a band like Journey are certainly in the discussion. I saw them at the Apollo in 1978. A band I really like. From their early jazz-rock (‘Kohoutek’ being my favourite song from that era), to the Steve Perry heights, to finding Arnel Pineda and recording albums that are still very strong.... they also have one of my all-time favourite drummers in Steve Smith.

Heart are another band right up there. Just started their ‘Love Alive’ tour in the States. First saw them supporting Queen at Ingliston in 1982, and had such a massive crush on both Ann & Nancy when I first bought their ‘Little Queen’ album in the 70s and saw that front cover. 😍

Another favourite American band of mine have just celebrated their 25th anniversary, and have released a great new album ‘Blood’ are Collective Soul. Will they make 40 years though!?

Edited by pozbaird

First gig was Iron Maiden's Seventh Son tour at the Edinburgh Playhouse in the late 80s. It was following Nicko's appearance on The Sooty & Sweep Show. Someone threw a Sooty puppet on stage. Bruce put it on, said, "'Ello, Sooty. Fancy a w**k?" and then my friend started a Sooty chant which went on longer than was completely necessary. Good times. Supported by Killer Dwarves, IIRC.

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:
2 hours ago, kevinffc said:
Saw Iron Maiden supporting Judas Priest at the Edinburgh Odeon in 1980.
Great gig

Well....I saw them at Glasgow Apollo circa 1979(I think) with original singer Paul D'Ianno.

22/3/80.... I was there too. Great website link follows....

http://www.glasgowapollo.com/index.asp?s_id=1&m_id=14&yr=1980