Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Jeffrey Lewis (with Los Bolts) very good as ever the other night.

Goes a bit quiet for the summer now - July always seems to be a slack month for gigs.

Oh, and I meant to mention Mammoth Penguins - excellent at Howlin' Fling the other week. It's nice when you discover someone completely new to you at a festival.

Stereolab at SWG.

Really disappointing. Absolutely no charm or warmth at all from the band. The set list was questionable, the infectious tracks were missing and the whole thing just felt a little cold and clinical.

I know they can do better. I've seen them do better. French Disko was the highlight of the set. They managed to strip out any trace of fuzzy warmth from Lo Boob Oscollator and that's a hell of a bad achievement.

Just now, The_Judge said:

Yeah, I had a bad feeling about this one.  Glad I gave it a miss.

They came on at 9. I had to force myself not to walk out by 9:30.

I cant tell you if they played anything as an encore because I left as they were murdering one of my favourite songs as their last of the main set.

9 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Stereolab at SWG.

Really disappointing. Absolutely no charm or warmth at all from the band. The set list was questionable, the infectious tracks were missing and the whole thing just felt a little cold and clinical.

I know they can do better. I've seen them do better. French Disko was the highlight of the set. They managed to strip out any trace of fuzzy warmth from Lo Boob Oscollator and that's a hell of a bad achievement.

Such a shame given how good a live band they were in their early days with their two chord belters. They went to shit when they went French jazz.

Stereolab at SWG.

Got given a free ticket for this last minute. Can’t say I know too much about them, but I really enjoyed it last night.

Thought Stereolab were absolutely tremendous also. Really surprised to see them disappoint the above poster, I thought that was a brilliant set.

Even the obnoxious loudmouths with absolutely no concept of personal space couldn’t marr it for me! And I’m not precious about being bumped about at gigs, I’m talking extreme case! Hope their next shite is a spiked naval mine! 

Even the obnoxious loudmouths with absolutely no concept of personal space couldn’t marr it for me! And I’m not precious about being bumped about at gigs, I’m talking extreme case! Hope their next shite is a spiked naval mine! 

There were a lot of them last night. The worst was the w**k behind me who talked loudly through the whole of French Disko and about 30 seconds towards the end of it said “this is one of my favourite songs ever”...

SWG3 might just attract arseholes. When I saw The Xcerts there last month I was walking behind three guys afterwards when I was going to the Subway. This tall, fat baldy w**k in a furry cardigan was moaning about the crowd not moving any during this song, complaining "it was like their nan had just asked their opinion on the European elections"

They all ended up going into Brewdog on Dumbarton Road. Make of that what you will.

Caught Get the Party Started when I was walking home through the wee park behind my house.  She did sound absolutely brilliant.  

I've got Kate Nash on Saturday and looking right forward to it.