Gigs

pilsner_ffc

12 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Nicole Atkins at The Blue Arrow on Thursday for me. Never seen her live before, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Saw her at King Tut's.  Didn't know much about her but went along as my missus is a fan. 

Great show. Big voice. And very good looking into the bargain.

3 hours ago, Daydream said:

Wedding Present in Dundee on Thursday. Bizarro!

Nice one! I'm hoping they announce an Amsterdam gig otherwise I'll need to go to Rotterdam, The Wedding Present are one of the first bands I really got into when I was a teenager all thanks to John Peel!

I was visiting my parents over Christmas and found my old stash of vinyl...Bizarro, George Best and Tommy along with some EP's they're all still in decent condition.

2 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

Nice one! I'm hoping they announce an Amsterdam gig otherwise I'll need to go to Rotterdam, The Wedding Present are one of the first bands I really got into when I was a teenager all thanks to John Peel!

I was visiting my parents over Christmas and found my old stash of vinyl...Bizarro, George Best and Tommy along with some EP's they're all still in decent condition.

Aye, Peel was a big fan.  Cinerama too, bless him.  The Weddoes have written a ton of catchy tunes over the last 30+ years.  Can't wait!

31 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:
18 hours ago, Christophe said:
Counting down to GZA doing Liquid Swords at SWG3 a week on Thursday now for me

I have a ticket for this and i could be persuaded to part with it if you know anyone struggling

How much are you looking for? 

On 01/04/2019 at 09:02, BallochSonsFan said:

Julia Jacklin at Stereo tomorrow. Should be a great gig but the venue is hot as hell and really uncomfortable.  2  support acts - Olympia and Georgia Mulligan. It'll either be an early start or a really late finish.

Most venues are pretty strict about finishing times these days, so most likely an early start.

Sorry to be missing this one, anyhow. Saw a few minutes of her at End of the Road the other year, but wasn't paying as much attention as I should have. Really like the new album but this gig has been sold out for ages.

On the plus side, Lucy Dacus has announced an Edinburgh gig for June. And Gazelle Twin has been added to this year's End of the Road line-up. Both of which bits of news have cheered me up.

Got to say that early reports of her not being a good live performer on her first UK tour are being confirmed for me. She has a great voice. The band are tight. Everything sounds great. 

But there's just no show here. I don't want her to be flashy.  Wouldn't be her style. But I want something different from the experience I'd have listening on vinyl through my Grado headphones. 

For a live gig it feels a little sterile. 

Got to say that early reports of her not being a good live performer on her first UK tour are being confirmed for me. She has a great voice. The band are tight. Everything sounds great. 
But there's just no show here. I don't want her to be flashy.  Wouldn't be her style. But I want something different from the experience I'd have listening on vinyl through my Grado headphones. 
For a live gig it feels a little sterile. 

My thoughts on Lucy Dacus precisely.

Julia Jacklin wasn't great live tonight. Her stuff is really good. I really enjoy her music. It's just that tonight's gig was absolutely no different to sticking the vinyl on at home. I don't care if it's a rock band with a n energetic stage show or an intimate singer songwriter playing solo, a live gig should offer the audience something else. Something that they can't get from the record.

As much as her songs are really good, you could listen to her albums on a halfway competent stereo and get as much enjoyment as seeing her live. I want gigs to give me something different to the record, even if it's just things sounding a little more raw and rough around the edges.

Jacklin's live performance was just a bit sterile for me.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

The above are my thoughts on both Julia Jacklin and Lucy Dacus. When I saw both of them, it seems as if they hadn't really refined their live performances. Jacklin was on her first record, Dacus was on her second. Sounds like nothing has really changed for the former.

I've heard that said before about Jacklin, but as I said I only saw her for a few minutes and wasn't paying enough attention.

Dacus I like a lot, but then it was maybe my album of the year last year so it was great to hear it done with the immediacy of the live performance. I agree she's not particularly spontaneous, but I don't agree that it didn't add anything to the record. For me, anyhow.