Gigs

pilsner_ffc

On 03/03/2019 at 18:10, KnightswoodBear said:

I was at Castlefield Bowl in Manchester last year and they smashed it.  11,000 folk bouncing about.  I think they get better (!) everytime I see them. 

Friday or Saturday this year? 

Friday for me, Twang are the boys too! 

10 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Friday also.  First time up on the balcony in the Academy for me

I made a faux pas. I completely forgot the one I thought it was in had burnt down. I looked at the seating plan and thought "pretty certain it doesn't have seats" so just got tickets wherever. Could be a disaster, might work out in my favour. Time will tell. 

Day one of SXSW in the books more or less. Highlight was getting to high five the singer from Sweet Spirit/A Giant Dog. Absolute babe. Also saw The Black Angels, Black MIDI, Black Belt Eagle Scout, Seazoo, Priests and Fontaines DC, among others. I believe 12 full sets today.

Highlights. Black Midi are the Fall reincarnated as 20 year old youngsters. They’ll either be huge or in jail in a year. Fascinating and challenging and I still don’t know if I liked them.

The Beths have sound issues. They leave their best four songs till last, which is wise. Will try and see them somewhere else this week.

Priests are great. Far more melodic than I’d have thought. Black Angels are a wall of noise.

Sweet Spirit are high camp in the Low Cut Connie envelope. Massive fun, and the singer is an absolute blast.

Caught a Welsh band called Seazoo (as in Steve “Stevesy” Sizou from the Wes Anderson film). Pretty pop in the Glasgow indie pop style. A gentle set.

Fontaines DC are vicious. My companions loved them. I wasn’t convinced. I’m told the second half of their set is much better, but four duffers to start off is a test of patience.

Day one of SXSW in the books more or less. Highlight was getting to high five the singer from Sweet Spirit/A Giant Dog. Absolute babe. Also saw The Black Angels, Black MIDI, Black Belt Eagle Scout, Seazoo, Priests and Fontaines DC, among others. I believe 12 full sets today.

Nice!
I love the black angels!

On 3/3/2019 at 11:57, alr said:

Well that was good. Kathryn Joseph is such a talent and was really good craic between songs. The Twilight Sad are just on another level.

Watched Kathryn Joseph in Aberdeen on the 3rd March which was an excellent gig - she got everyone to sit on the floor and was indeed good craic between songs. She is supporting A Mote of Dust in Aberdeen in April 11th so looking forward to that gig. 

Edited by betting competition

I'm going to Howlin' Fling this year. Anyone ever been?

The Isle of Eigg is not quite Austin, Texas I grant you. But then Austin, Texas is not quite the Isle of Eigg.

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Day 2 of SXSW. 16 bands seen. Quite a lot of rubbish. Highlights: The Chills, Bedouine, Bad Bad Hats and Illuminati Hotties.

Stumbled across Illuminati Hotties on Spotify a few months ago and really enjoyed their stuff. 

Day three of SXSW done. Today I saw 18 bands, including two Scottish bands; Saint Phnx and The Dunts. Unfortunately they are two of the worst bands I’ve ever seen in my life. Genuinely awful. Highlights were the loud and thrashy Pip Blom, Gold Connections, Har Mar Superstar and Sabrina Ellis, and Molly Burch. As is often the case, the buzz bands don’t meet the hype, and sadly this is true of the Beths, who don’t seem to be able to soundcheck properly and have had bad sound issues at every set.

Day three of SXSW done. Today I saw 18 bands, including two Scottish bands; Saint Phnx and The Dunts. Unfortunately they are two of the worst bands I’ve ever seen in my life. Genuinely awful. Highlights were the loud and thrashy Pip Blom, Gold Connections, Har Mar Superstar and Sabrina Ellis, and Molly Burch. As is often the case, the buzz bands don’t meet the hype, and sadly this is true of the Beths, who don’t seem to be able to soundcheck properly and have had bad sound issues at every set.

When you see the bands you like, obviously the Dunts aren't for you, I really like them but it must be great to be at SXSW, lucky man!!

12 hours ago, Comrie said:

https://www.seetickets.com/event/half-man-half-biscuit/liquid-rooms/1244516

I'm really looking forward to this, wanted to see HMHB for years.

I'm not one of the big HMHB fanboys, but I saw them last time they were at the Liquid Rooms (three years ago, maybe?) and it was a thoroughly entertaining gig.

Have you been to stubbs or the mohawk or emo's yet?
Hope you see Ringo Deathstarr

The Mohawk for something like 14 bands so far.

Stubb’s no, but that’s a real rarity. Usually something on there.

Got tanked last night with the drummer from The Glory Fires and the guy from Bohannons.

Yesterday: Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires, Lonny Hollie, Weakened Friends, Bad Moves, Paws and Versus. Brilliant.