Gigs

pilsner_ffc

First gig of 2019 done - Carson McHone.

1st support act was a local guy called Flew The Arrow. Describes his music as deep. Actually about as deep as a puddle on the pavement. Decent enough guitar player but used some fast finger picking and awkward, ragged key changes to describe the fact that he had no tunes and that his lyrics were fucking dreadful. Horrible overly wrought angst. It ended up sounding really disingenuous.
2nd support was Matt Owens, formerly of Noah and the Whale. Complete opposite. His stuff isn't winning a prize for originality but there was enough about his music to enjoy. Funny on stage and clearly out to entertain the crowd, his set was pretty much the ideal gig opener. Very enjoyable without ever risking to upstage the headliner.
Carson McHone headline slot. Just her and a guitar. Her songs sounded simple enough stripped down until you heard her voice and her smart and affecting lyrics and you realised just how well she'd crafted them. A great singer/songwriter who also played some out and out country that you'd find in any stereotypical southern dive bar honkey tonk without ever becoming a pastiche of a southern honkey tonk singer. Her southern accent was in evidence but she never overplayed it. She name checked a few influences between songs, citing the writing of Thomas Wolfe or the way Hemingway had described the relationship between Zelda and F Scott Fitzgerald and how their competing creative needs acted to hurt their relationship with each other - clearly a nod to one of Carson's own past relationships. Her charming and engaging stage presence coupled with serious songwriting and performing talent left the crowd utterly smitten with her music.
@ballochsonsfan
Is Flew The Arrow the bloke who describes most of his songs in terms of his mental health issues? If its the same bloke then I’ve seen him there before and it was a harrowing and unrewarding watch. Sorry I missed Carson McHone, ill health prevented me from attending.

9 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Lemonheads were pretty great down at SWG3 tonight

The venue itself isnt terrible. Just a big, cold shed that could do with being a bit wider and shallower as I doubt those at the back of the venue would have seen a whole lot. Sound was good enough and I was infront of the first steel upright so had a good view.

I worried that Evan Dando was past his best when he came on stage. The years haven't been kind to him and it's crazy to think that he's still only 51. I saw Belly last year and a 51 year old Tanya Donnelly (and a 58 year old Gail Greenwood) looked fantastic. The quantity and variety of drink and drugs that Dando consumed have clearly taken their toll and I thought he looked a little distracted during the opening couple of songs. Fiddling with the amp. Looking a bit withdrawn and generally staring into the distance. It sounded good but didnt feel like it promised a great night of music.

Then he started to come alive. He started to smile and then get more and more animated on stage. The tracks that a casual fan would want to hear - Into Your Arms, It's A Shame About Ray and My Drug Buddy - sounded great. I consider myself a casual fan and I'd have been happy enough with those 3. But with the set overall drawing from their career rather than relying on the cover versions that make up current release Varshons 2 (came out yesterday), you realise just how many Lemonheads songs you know and love. A Nick Cave cover didnt quite work but a rendition of Streets of Baltimore sounded great.

I'd happily go see them again and not just because I'm a huge fan of 90s music and would love a nostalgia kick for the music that was around when I was growing up. They're still a band who can deliver.

Heard some really bad stuff about Dando on his current tour.  He claims to be clean, but it seems clear that he isn't.

7 hours ago, addicksion said:

@ballochsonsfan
Is Flew The Arrow the bloke who describes most of his songs in terms of his mental health issues? If its the same bloke then I’ve seen him there before and it was a harrowing and unrewarding watch. Sorry I missed Carson McHone, ill health prevented me from attending.

I've only seen him once and he didn't talk much about that on Friday. Just kept mentioning how deep his songs were and other such meaningless guff.

32 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Heard some really bad stuff about Dando on his current tour.  He claims to be clean, but it seems clear that he isn't.

Given how he started the gig I reckon that's a really good shout. Not sure if it's drugs but he was certainly swigging from a bottle during the set. Stage crew gave him a bottle of whiskey when he asked for it about half way through. Square bottle with a plain label so probably something like Makers Mark.

He certainly wasn't interacting with the audience but I'd never seen them before last night so wasn't sure if that was just his style. There was a clear difference between the first couple of songs and the rest. Maybe taking a little time for him to get tanked up enough to unwind?  He doesn't look particularly healthy right now for a 51 year old. You'd give him another 10 years no problem.

My Twilight Sad ticket came yesterday (finally) and it says on it I need photo ID with it, which I've never had on a ticket before. What are we talking here? - passport, student card, anything in particular I shouldn't rely on?

For what it’s worth it’s quite a common thing, in the view that it clamps down on touts selling the tickets on (since their name will be on the ticket). However, anytime I’ve been warned to bring ID, I’ve never been asked for it. Any photo ID should do, just to be safe.

Just now, SweeperDee said:

For what it’s worth it’s quite a common thing, in the view that it clamps down on touts selling the tickets on (since their name will be on the ticket). However, anytime I’ve been warned to bring ID, I’ve never been asked for it. Any photo ID should do, just to be safe.

Oh I know why it's there, I've just never seen it on a ticket I've had. Thanks

On 17/02/2019 at 13:47, SweeperDee said:

What happens if you've bought tickets for friends (as most people do)? Seems a bit of a daft idea to stop touts really, just inconveniencing most of the legit buyers.

Just got an email to say The Beth's have been moved to the Garage in case anyone missed out on tix, I was expecting a venue change when they sold out so quickly but hoped it might stay at Broadcast, not a big fan of the Garage.

7 minutes ago, Tommy Nooka said:

What happens if you've bought tickets for friends (as most people do)? Seems a bit of a daft idea to stop touts really, just inconveniencing most of the legit buyers.

Just got an email to say The Beth's have been moved to the Garage in case anyone missed out on tix, I was expecting a venue change when they sold out so quickly but hoped it might stay at Broadcast, not a big fan of the Garage.

The message on the ticket says word for word "Lead booker must present photo ID to gain entry", so I'm assuming you and your mates all have to turn up at the same time.