Gigs

pilsner_ffc

10 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

Btw, ABC getting demolished. Gutted. Was inevitable though. Loved gigs in there. Even half full gigs seemed packed. The acoustics were incredible. My favourite Glasgow gig venue. 

The acoustics were indeed incredible. Such a shame, even the fact I saw many a film in there as a youngster as well as a number of gigs.

14 hours ago, Yoss said:

Would love to do SxSW someday, but it seems unlikely.

Pip Blom is playing the Stag and Dagger thing in May, I believe.

It's definitely worth doing.  A week of doing nothing but drinking, eating and listening to great (and sometimes terrible) music.  It's how the Edinburgh festival and Celtic Connections ought to run, but instead they have a bunch of ticketing fiascoes every year.

Btw, ABC getting demolished. Gutted. Was inevitable though. Loved gigs in there. Even half full gigs seemed packed. The acoustics were incredible. My favourite Glasgow gig venue. 

After the Barrowlands, the ABC was my favourite gig venue. Didn’t think it was possible for anywhere to have as good a sound as the Barrowlands, having found nearly all small - medium sized venues I’ve visited in Scotland to be vastly inferior. The sound in the ABC was a more than pleasant surprise when a band I liked finally played there.

First gig of 2019 done - Carson McHone.

1st support act was a local guy called Flew The Arrow. Describes his music as deep. Actually about as deep as a puddle on the pavement. Decent enough guitar player but used some fast finger picking and awkward, ragged key changes to describe the fact that he had no tunes and that his lyrics were fucking dreadful. Horrible overly wrought angst. It ended up sounding really disingenuous.

2nd support was Matt Owens, formerly of Noah and the Whale. Complete opposite. His stuff isn't winning a prize for originality but there was enough about his music to enjoy. Funny on stage and clearly out to entertain the crowd, his set was pretty much the ideal gig opener. Very enjoyable without ever risking to upstage the headliner.

Carson McHone headline slot. Just her and a guitar. Her songs sounded simple enough stripped down until you heard her voice and her smart and affecting lyrics and you realised just how well she'd crafted them. A great singer/songwriter who also played some out and out country that you'd find in any stereotypical southern dive bar honkey tonk without ever becoming a pastiche of a southern honkey tonk singer. Her southern accent was in evidence but she never overplayed it. She name checked a few influences between songs, citing the writing of Thomas Wolfe or the way Hemingway had described the relationship between Zelda and F Scott Fitzgerald and how their competing creative needs acted to hurt their relationship with each other - clearly a nod to one of Carson's own past relationships. Her charming and engaging stage presence coupled with serious songwriting and performing talent left the crowd utterly smitten with her music.

1 hour ago, Daydream said:

Not sure if it’s a windup but Stereolab seem to have some dates planned for this year.

Stereolab are going back on the road this year, can confirm! Was the plan after the 2017 reissues 

Edited by Christophe

On 08/02/2019 at 00:28, ListerRRFC said:

Chvrches tonight at the Ally Pally were sensational. Should be some show at the Hydro. Tempted to get tickets for the Edinburgh Summer Sessions now.

I'm off to that gig next weekend. Can't wait to see them live.

Lemonheads were pretty great down at SWG3 tonight

The venue itself isnt terrible. Just a big, cold shed that could do with being a bit wider and shallower as I doubt those at the back of the venue would have seen a whole lot. Sound was good enough and I was infront of the first steel upright so had a good view.

I worried that Evan Dando was past his best when he came on stage. The years haven't been kind to him and it's crazy to think that he's still only 51. I saw Belly last year and a 51 year old Tanya Donnelly (and a 58 year old Gail Greenwood) looked fantastic. The quantity and variety of drink and drugs that Dando consumed have clearly taken their toll and I thought he looked a little distracted during the opening couple of songs. Fiddling with the amp. Looking a bit withdrawn and generally staring into the distance. It sounded good but didnt feel like it promised a great night of music.

Then he started to come alive. He started to smile and then get more and more animated on stage. The tracks that a casual fan would want to hear - Into Your Arms, It's A Shame About Ray and My Drug Buddy - sounded great. I consider myself a casual fan and I'd have been happy enough with those 3. But with the set overall drawing from their career rather than relying on the cover versions that make up current release Varshons 2 (came out yesterday), you realise just how many Lemonheads songs you know and love. A Nick Cave cover didnt quite work but a rendition of Streets of Baltimore sounded great.

I'd happily go see them again and not just because I'm a huge fan of 90s music and would love a nostalgia kick for the music that was around when I was growing up. They're still a band who can deliver.