Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Homeboy Sandman & Edan @ Bongo Club

Fucking Wow.  I’ve always said I’ve never been to a bad gig in my life.  This was top 5.  The build up was brilliant, support was amazing but when Edan took the stage it fucking lifted , some quality mixes came then the big man came up on stage (and nearly fucked his heid on the girder a couple of times) the album was played interspliced with some classic cuts from Edan’s Beauty and the Beat.  They both had the crowd in the palm of their hands.  They played for an hour and a half but I could have listened for another 2 hours easily.  Took the wife along who is pretty much repelled by hip hop but even she loved it.  Got some photos with Edan and Homeboy at the end of the night, homeboy took some time to talk and get some better photos after it ended.   Edan is the fucking man, psychedelic hip hop with effects pedals. Magic 

First gig of the year for me on Friday. Carson McHone at the Hug and Pint. Also have Lemonheads on Saturday.

Disappointed with the first lot of acts announced for End of the Road. Sure there are 7 or 8 I'd like to see but not enough to spend £600 or so on tickets, hotel, travel and spending money. Seriously looking at Maifeld Derby in Mannheim in June as an alternative, although there are only 4 or 5 people I know of playing that festival. If they were to announce enough that I'd have 9 or 10 I want to see then it's a no brainer. For the same money I'd be getting a trip abroad to a city I now know pretty well and absolutely love.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Disappointed with the first lot of acts announced for End of the Road. Sure there are 7 or 8 I'd like to see but not enough to spend £600 or so on tickets, hotel, travel and spending money. Seriously looking at Maifeld Derby in Mannheim in June as an alternative, although there are only 4 or 5 people I know of playing that festival. If they were to announce enough that I'd have 9 or 10 I want to see then it's a no brainer. For the same money I'd be getting a trip abroad to a city I now know pretty well and absolutely love.

EotR is great, this year will be my seventh, but I agree there's not as much to grab me in the line-up so far as there sometimes has been (last year was a halcyon year).

That said, Parquet Courts, Mitski and Stellia Donnelly were three of my top four in last year's end-of-year lists. Add in Courtney Barnett, Black Midi, and a couple of others and there's enough to least to get me started. Among the rest, there's loads I've not heard of before and I think a lot of it is going to be out my comfort zone. I'm hoping that'll turn out to be a good thing, but otherwise I'll sit in the Garden Bar drinking Funky Money, talking shit with mates I only see the once a year and have a fucking belting weekend anyway.

EotR is great, this year will be my seventh, but I agree there's not as much to grab me in the line-up so far as there sometimes has been (last year was a halcyon year).
That said, Parquet Courts, Mitski and Stellia Donnelly were three of my top four in last year's end-of-year lists. Add in Courtney Barnett, Black Midi, and a couple of others and there's enough to least to get me started. Among the rest, there's loads I've not heard of before and I think a lot of it is going to be out my comfort zone. I'm hoping that'll turn out to be a good thing, but otherwise I'll sit in the Garden Bar drinking Funky Money, talking shit with mates I only see the once a year and have a fucking belting weekend anyway.

Are Black Midi any good? They’re supporting Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires next month, and I’m going early to catch them.

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Are Black Midi any good? They’re supporting Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires next month, and I’m going early to catch them.

Saw them at the Hug & Pint last week. They're ... unusual, and not going to be to everyone's taste, but I thought they entirely merited the gathering hype.

I've got a ticket for Stella Donnelly in Glasgow.

Right now Maifield is tempting for Teenage Fanclub, Stephen Malkmus, Alela Diane, Tamberlin and Snail Mail. Not enough to justify going as I'd spend the equivalent of a Mannheim hockey trip. If they were to add another 3 or 4 of a decent quality then I'd be really keen to go. EotR interests me but the 8 I'd want to see are Courtney Barnett, Goal Girl, Jessica Pratt, Tyler Childers, Stella Donnelly, Charlie Parr and maybe Jade Bird. Could throw in Cate Let Bon at a push. Not a great return from the bands who have been confirmed so far. I reckon that I could probably see the likes of Pratt and Childers somewhere in the UK around the festival dates anyway. 

Right now Maifield is tempting for Teenage Fanclub, Stephen Malkmus, Alela Diane, Tamberlin and Snail Mail. Not enough to justify going as I'd spend the equivalent of a Mannheim hockey trip. If they were to add another 3 or 4 of a decent quality then I'd be really keen to go. EotR interests me but the 8 I'd want to see are Courtney Barnett, Goal Girl, Jessica Pratt, Tyler Childers, Stella Donnelly, Charlie Parr and maybe Jade Bird. Could throw in Cate Let Bon at a push. Not a great return from the bands who have been confirmed so far. I reckon that I could probably see the likes of Pratt and Childers somewhere in the UK around the festival dates anyway. 

I think Stella Donnelly is a future star. Doesn’t hurt that she’s as cute as a button, but her lyrics are different class.

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I think Stella Donnelly is a future star. Doesn’t hurt that she’s as cute as a button, but her lyrics are different class.

How many women could you say that about in recent years? I loved Margaret Glaspy's debut but she's disappeared. I absolutely adore the Anna Burch record. Pip Blom should hopefully do well. 

Edited by BallochSonsFan

6 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I saw Donnelly three times last year and likewise have a ticket for the forthcoming Glasgow date. She's awesome. She'll be with a band this time though so it'll be interesting to see how that works. Jessica Pratt already has a Scottish date announced as well I think? Goat Girl were at EotR two years ago, and I thought they were ordinary - rushed through the set and finished ages early. From other accounts of them, though, it sounds like they've had much better days.

3 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

How many women could you say that about in recent years? I loved Margaret Glaspey's debut but she's disappeared. I absolutely adore the Anna Burch record. Pip Book should hopefully do well. 

Likewise I'm with you on both Anna Burch and Pip Blom, assuming that's who you meant.

How many women could you say that about in recent years? I loved Margaret Glaspy's debut but she's disappeared. I absolutely adore the Anna Burch record. Pip Blom should hopefully do well. 

Indeed. And I may well be wrong. I think Donnelly is a cut above, though. But again, I may well be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Both of those are on my SxSW list.

Would love to do SxSW someday, but it seems unlikely.

Pip Blom is playing the Stag and Dagger thing in May, I believe.

Btw, ABC getting demolished. Gutted. Was inevitable though. Loved gigs in there. Even half full gigs seemed packed. The acoustics were incredible. My favourite Glasgow gig venue. 
Agreed. My favourite venue. Seen some belters in there. Most recent being Brian Fallon in March.