Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Been to a couple gigs this weekend.

Yesterday I was at UK Foo Fighters who always put on a good show. Never really got tribute bands but I'm friends with the band and their tour manager so always head along when they play London. Probably worth seeing if you are into the actual band. Jay (the lead singer) seems to genuinely think he's Dave Grohl which is slightly strange.

Tonight I ended up on the guestlist to BluesFest at the O2 Arena. The line-up was White Buffalo, Alison Krauss and Counting Crows. Never listened to any of them and had only ever heard of Counting Crows when Frank Turner said they were his all time favourite band at 2000 Trees a couple years back. White Buffalo were great entertainment and I enjoyed their set. Alison Krauss and her band are ridiculously talented, she had a couple members from the Cox Family with her as well to do harmonies and other parts and it was probably some of the most beautiful live vocals I've heard. Her stage set-up was odd and appeared to be more like a play or film set than for a band but whatever floats her boat. Despite her being very good, it wasn't really my thing, I might listen to her at home now but wouldn't rush to see her again. Counting Crows were the headliners and were absolutely unreal. Adam Duritz is the boi. His stage patter and origin stories for the songs were top notch, especially for someone with no previous experience of the band. I don't ever think I've ever came out of a show feeling so inspired - I now want to join a band and travel the world. The only negative was that may be the last opportunity to see them as Adam said at the end they probably won't be back to the UK which will probably mean they're breaking up in the near future.

Next gig is Lady Bird who are playing a free gig on Wednesday. They're essentially Slaves-lite but put on a good show.

14 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Sleaford Mods superb on Saturday; this Friday, it's Elvana.  Nirvana tribute band fronted by an Elvis impersonator.  Have a look on Youtube; they're terrific.

I manage the support - Das Plastixx. Get down early if you can.

Either way, Elvana are tremendous. Saw them the last two years they've been here. 

Lucy Dacus the other night was as consumately excellent as you knew she would be. (Quite liked Fenne Lily as well. Lovely voice anyway - very asmr.)

Anyway I'm never going to do GrahamJags' seven gigs in a week but there's quite a lot to look forward to in November - Estrons, Parquet Courts, Stella Donnelly, Pip Blom, Metric, Drahla. And maybe some others.

Ian Felice last night.

Very good. Played some of his own stuff and a few Felice Brothers songs. Also played some songs from the upcoming Felice Brothers album that'll be released next spring.

No Ballad of Lou The Welterweight sadly (I've seen a video of him playing it in Edinburgh last year) but a really good set of songs.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Ian Felice last night.

Very good. Played some of his own stuff and a few Felice Brothers songs. Also played some songs from the upcoming Felice Brothers album that'll be released next spring.

No Ballad of Lou The Welterweight sadly (I've seen a video of him playing it in Edinburgh last year) but a really good set of songs.

Quite gutted I missed this. Felice is great. Still haven't caught him solo yet, though.

Ian Felice last night.
Nice one, i love the felice brothers was gutted when they cancelled their last tour but glad Iain is fit again, they haven't played over here for a few years but fingers crossed maybe get to see them if they tour the new album

Some of the new stuff sounded really good.

I know Ian played Edinburgh last year and Simone played the Macintosh Church when they had the moon exhibition thing there. I had a ticket for the cancelled Celtic Connections gig but if all is as well as can be when you're talking about the Felice Brothers, I'd be hopeful of a tour in support of the new album.

19 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Some of the new stuff sounded really good.

I know Ian played Edinburgh last year and Simone played the Macintosh Church when they had the moon exhibition thing there. I had a ticket for the cancelled Celtic Connections gig but if all is as well as can be when you're talking about the Felice Brothers, I'd be hopeful of a tour in support of the new album.

Last time I saw the Felice Brothers. that Christmas guy was away with the fairies and playing bass to the moon.  It was a ramshackle mess, but it was fun as hell.  Definitely a three pint gig though.

On 29/10/2018 at 11:59, GrahamJags said:

I manage the support - Das Plastixx. Get down early if you can.

Either way, Elvana are tremendous. Saw them the last two years they've been here. 

Was impressed with Das Plastixx, sound was a bit muddled where I was standing though.  Some good songs, will check out online.

Elvana were indeed tremendous, i’m hobbling today and have a number of bruises, always a good sign.

Echo and the Bunnymen at Tivolivredenberg Utrecht,  I've wanted to see them for years but just as I was getting into them in the 80's Ian McCulloch left the band and Pete Defreitas died, managed to see McCulloch live at the barrolands around 89/90, so when this was announced I was really excited, initially they were supposed to be playing with a string section who pulled out without explanation a few days before, this annoyed me slightly as hearing songs like ocean rain and the killing moon with strings was a big reason for buying the ticket, anyway the gig itself was really good, the band were tight and McCulloch was in good form and Will Sergeant's guitar work was lovely, only downside was it made me feel a little old, at one point I turned to my mate and said "ah this is a newer song" to which my mate replied 'this song was released over 20 years ago" where does the time go eh? Oh and the venue is like an Escher drawing I got lost twice going to the toilet.