Gigs

pilsner_ffc

My Runrig ticket arrived this morning. I'm going on the Friday, so it's the second last gig for them. I went for the Friday gig so I wouldn't cheat a long term fan from seeing their last ever gig. However, I might see if I can swap for a Saturday ticket on fb!

The VIP tickets are outrageously priced. McCartney always has been good at fleecing his fans. Still I'll be sat by my computer at 10.00am on Monday
Any luck?
Could think of much worse ways to spend an evening than spend three hours listening to Paul McCartney doing Beatles. Could also think of much worse ways to spend a shitload of money.
EDIT: No Wings stuff? Isn't Jet a mainstay in his sets?
Aye he plays a few Wings tunes, thankfully. His set is mostly dominated by Beatles tunes with a spattering of Wings and solo stuff (judging by his most recent set lists and a few gigs I've watched on youtube). His solo stuff from recent albums is the only stuff I'm not overly fussed about.

First, and probably only time, I have sen Paul Simon live, and what a fabulous night and concert.
Yes, his voice is not as good as it was 20/30 years ago, but he was magnificent, ably supported by a fabulous backing band/singers.     A great set by him, virtually identical to his concert the night before in Manchester, and he really engaged the audience well.
Brilliant night made even better knowing Croatia were beating England as well. 

My only complaint was the crowd. Most of the folk around me sat still the entire set, they looked like they were at the cinema. It took until the last 4 tunes before someone decided to stand up, leading to a small crowd around me standing up, which was most welcome. Floor level looked a little more lively.

Eels on Friday night in Luzern. Looking forward to that one. KKL is an outstanding venue and Mark Oliver Everett is an absolutely fucking outstanding performer. Need to get up at 5am on Saturday to get to the airport though, so will be interesting to take a gig in sober for a change.

Disappointed to see WWPJ don't have a Swiss gig listed this time. Guess I'll be giving them a miss then!

Saw Barenaked Ladies for maybe the seventh or eighth time at the DTE outside Detroit last week. Second time I've seen them in the US, which is also the second time I've seen them without Steven Page. I enjoyed it more last time. This time it felt they were really pushing their new stuff and ignoring the hits and then bizarrely they stopped in the middle of the set while a secondary smaller stage was built at the front of the bigger one and it felt like it took around five minutes to assemble. Highlight was when Tyler the drummer sang a cover of Another One Bites The Dust and did a job far better than anyone could've been expecting. They were supported by KT Tunstall, who was far more engaging here than the one time I saw her at the Corn Exchange in Edinburgh in 2005, and also Better Than Ezra who I'd never heard of but were big in the 90s over here and who I enjoyed enormously.

Toad the Wet Sprocket coming up on my birthday next month, again just outside Detroit. Glen Phillips never disappoints.

15 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Got a ticket for Mogwai and The Twilight Sad in Leeds in November. The things you do when the lousy c***s omit the place they come from. :angel

I'm going to see Mogwai at the Leith Theatre next month, otherwise I'd have looked at this. Last saw Twilight Sad supporting Chvrches a few years back and they were pretty fucking decent.

Got myself a ticket for Ocean Colour Scene in December and Chvrches in February as well, can't wait.

59 minutes ago, Lordofthewing said:

I'm going to see Mogwai at the Leith Theatre next month, otherwise I'd have looked at this. Last saw Twilight Sad supporting Chvrches a few years back and they were pretty fucking decent.

Got myself a ticket for Ocean Colour Scene in December and Chvrches in February as well, can't wait.

Also going to Mogwai in Leith.  Got The Twilight Sad at the Liquid Rooms in November.  They were excellent at Hyde Park on The Cure's 40th Anniversary gig a couple of weeks ago.

14 hours ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Going to Twenty One Pilots in Belfast 

Got some of these for Kid A’s xmas to squirrel away, was pulling for the Oslo show but the missus downgraded us to a UK show, looking forward to it nonetheless!

Also going to Mogwai in Leith.  Got The Twilight Sad at the Liquid Rooms in November.  They were excellent at Hyde Park on The Cure's 40th Anniversary gig a couple of weeks ago.
I was going to try and get a ticket for Hyde Park, but made the mistake of waiting till payday in February. TRNSMT was a decent consolation tbf.

I was at Leith Theatre last year for Idlewild and it was a pretty good venue, curious to see how the interior looks now.

3 hours ago, Lordofthewing said:

I was at Leith Theatre last year for Idlewild and it was a pretty good venue, curious to see how the interior looks now.

There's an additional bar and a bit more dereliction. The roof leaks a bit less. Nothing else has changed.

Edited by Tibbermoresaint
Roof info

12 hours ago, Christophe said:

Got some of these for Kid A’s xmas to squirrel away, was pulling for the Oslo show but the missus downgraded us to a UK show, looking forward to it nonetheless!

I'm going to have to venture overseas for a gig one day. Belfast will be great as I've wanted to visit there and this has given me the push. Think I'll do one of the inevitable Muse European shows when they get announced. 

Not been to a gig in ages, and now have a fair few this week, starting with Charley Crockett on Monday then The Gaslight Anthem on Tuesday.

The ‘59 Sound is easily in my top 10 records of all time, so I cannot wait for this show.

Guest Moomintroll

Stupidly excited for Jeff Lynne in October, supposed to be an anniversary present for the in-laws but convinced I'm looking forward to it the most.