Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Managed to get a ticket for Car Seat Headrest and The Lemon Twigs as well as the Saturday daytime thing at the Tramway for the 6music festival. Usually I would be all over The Shins, but I've already got a ticket to see them in London, and the Academy sound is abysmal. Was tempted by Sparks/Future Islands, but was put off because of the venue. Tickets for Ryan Adams in the bag as well.

Going to see Home$lice tonight at Sleazys, then Three Blind Wolves playing their last ever show at Saint Luke's tomorrow. Shame, as they're always great live.

3 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Managed to get a ticket for Car Seat Headrest and The Lemon Twigs as well as the Saturday daytime thing at the Tramway for the 6music festival. Usually I would be all over The Shins, but I've already got a ticket to see them in London, and the Academy sound is abysmal. Was tempted by Sparks/Future Islands, but was put off because of the venue. Tickets for Ryan Adams in the bag as well.

Going to see Home$lice tonight at Sleazys, then Three Blind Wolves playing their last ever show at Saint Luke's tomorrow. Shame, as they're always great live.

I've been to tonnes of gigs at the Academy and I've never noticed it being any different to anywhere else, some sound good, some sound so so, never heard it absolutely terrible though. Now the old SECC halls, THAT'S abysmal sound.

The other half managed to get tix for the Saturday night, never seen Grandaddy or Honeyblood before so looking forward to it.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

I dislike the Academy as a venue but not because of the sound.

A good sound engineer can make a good band in a shite venue sound pretty decent. A great sound engineer made Jason Isbell at Liquid Rooms sound fantastic and it's a horrible wee box of a place. Its the layout I hate in the Academy. The stage is too low if you're in the bottom bit of the floor. The bars are poorly positioned and access from the rear of the venue to the front of the venue is terrible.

But given that I'm upstairs in the balcony for the 6music gig, I'll have a great view.

55 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I thought about Julia Jacklin but ended up at Drive By Truckers instead. Her debut album is great

Her record is far better than she is live. Her cover of The Strokes' Someday was excellent though. How were the Truckers? Was torn over which of the two to go to last night.

1 hour ago, GrahamJags said:

Her record is far better than she is live. Her cover of The Strokes' Someday was excellent though. How were the Truckers? Was torn over which of the two to go to last night.

Truckers were their usual selves. Big, loud and brilliant. 2 hour set.

Deftones. Glasgow. Yes.

Buzzing for this

Deftones live are a brilliant concert hall/arena band. Would like to have gone to this but away that weekend. Have they announced which hall it's in at SECC yet? A real hit-or-miss venue, especially for rock/metal bands.

The small hall would make a good venue for someone too big for academies but not quite big enough for arenas, which I'd say Deftones are if they're not doing a one off. Deftones' sound is perfect for that arena no matter what hall they're in tbh. Bands with a big sound always did well in there.

ive a ticket I don't need anymore for KISS at the hydro on 27th may,its a £45 ticket,level 2 seating, pm me if interested

mods-apologies if im not allowed to do this(I had a look,i didn't see anything forbidding it,if it is can you remove the post)

The small hall would make a good venue for someone too big for academies but not quite big enough for arenas, which I'd say Deftones are if they're not doing a one off. Deftones' sound is perfect for that arena no matter what hall they're in tbh. Bands with a big sound always did well in there.

Nut.

6 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Name it then.

Going to see Steps. Supported by Vengaboys. Yuss.

The SECC is hit & miss for big heavy bands and is notorious for its awful acoustics. I've seen as many bands sound dreadful in there as sound good. When they have seating in the halls it seems to help the sound as otherwise it's just a big square metal box.