Procycling thread

myshkin

Motherwell are a right good procycling team.

Fantastic finish to Liege yesterday & a superb victory for Martin. He's been bubbling under for quite some time now, was unfortunate at Fleche but to put Valverde, Purito, Gilbert et al to the sword is fantastic.

Edited by Desert Nomad

Great win for Dam Martin & well worked by Garmin. He just marked the favourites & let Heysjedal go for it. Pulled back J-Rods attack slowly in the last 1K & pounced.

Truely a case of "getting the calculation right", if ever I saw one. :lol:

Motherwell are a right good procycling team.

Fantastic finish to Liege yesterday & a superb victory for Martin. He's been bubbling under for quite some time now, was unfortunate at Fleche but to put Valverde, Purito, Gilbert et al to the sword is fantastic.

I think his problem at Flèche was a mechanical. He spent most of his energy trying to chase back to the lead group.

Superb finish though. Hesjedal pulled the whole race out with his attack. Then Martin marked Purito's attack perfectly then smoked him on that last corner.

And once more Sky were pish in the classics. I think they've tried to be too calculating about them. While it's possible to control and nullify a 3 week stage race, a one day classic like Roubaix is just carnage as everyone is trying to lead it over the cobbles. I'd be willing to bet they'll have learned their lesson and will probably gub everyone next year.

Heard a fantastic commentary line on one of the Ardennes classics. "Last year Jonathan Tiernan-Locke was as good as Rodriguez over the short punchy climbs." Aye. Nae bother.

Froome all but nailed the win in Romandie. Rode the rest off his wheel & worked together with Katusha's Spliak to take a minute out of everyone else.

Handed the stage to Spilak, who now goes 2nd, with just an ITT tomorrow.

Problems on the horizon for Sky at the Tour with Wiggo's stance, announced today?

"The Tour de France is my focus, it's just that I'm doing the Giro before."

Wiggins will need to improve his record in the Italian race if he is to stand a chance of becoming the first cyclist since Marco Pantani in 1998 to win both the Giro and Tour de France.

The Briton has competed in the Giro four times and finished 40th the last time he competed in the three-week race around Italy in 2010.

However, since then he has become the first British rider to win the Tour de France and he followed that up by two weeks later claiming a fourth Olympic gold medal with victory in the men's time trial at London 2012 in August.

"It's like last year and the Olympics," he continued. "I was focused on that and the Tour. This year the Giro comes first."

Wiggins admitted there had been a lot of talk of him riding in support of Froome but that it was a decision "for the team management to decide".

"We are both on different paths and we're both professionals," said Wiggins. "We have been there before. We're on the same team and know what needs to be done.

"I would be comfortable in a supporting role but it's not like I'm going to ride 200km on the front and swing off and lose 30 minutes. I want to be there at the death, I want to be on the podium."

Can't see Froome hanging back, waiting, this year.

& this just in, Froome's reply.

"I have been reassured by the management at Team Sky that I have their full backing. At no time has the leadership of the Tour team been in question."

He added: "At no time has the leadership of the Tour team been in question."

Froome released a statement reading: "There has been much speculation regarding the leadership for Team Sky at the Tour de France this year. I have made it clear that winning the Tour would be my main objective for 2013.

"Attempting to win the Tour de France, is a massive undertaking, and will take total commitment from each and every team member.

"The Tour team has yet to be selected but with the depth of talent that we have at Team Sky, I have no doubt that the strongest and most willing riders will be there to support me."

Edited by kiddy

Problems on the horizon for Sky at the Tour with Wiggo's stance, announced today?

Can't see Froome hanging back, waiting, this year.

& this just in, Froome's reply.

I think Wiggins is talking himself up as a bit of a bluff to other teams. By Wiggo saying he is leading, and Froome saying he is leading it means their rivals will have the 2 of them to mark.

I see Wiggins is ditching his Di2 Dura Ace and going back to old-fashioned mechanical Dura Ace after his issue in the Trentino.

Real men use mechanical.

he should go for the vuelta as well.

With the Giro/Tour nigh on impossible, due to riders concentrating solely on the Tour. The Giro/Vuelta double is far more likely, with the May & Sept timescales.

I think Wiggo is being extremely disrespectful to the guy who set him up for Tour glory last year.

Wiggins best odds 11/10 & Nibali 21/10 for the Giro. There are some massive odds if you can pick a winner from outside these two. Basso doesn't ride, Evans does. Hesjedal is 9/1 as reigning champion.

http://oddschecker.mobi/#_other-sports-cycling-giro-ditalia-giro-d-italia-winner

Wiggins best odds 11/10 & Nibali 21/10 for the Giro. There are some massive odds if you can pick a winner from outside these two. Basso doesn't ride, Evans does. Hesjedal is 9/1 as reigning champion.

http://oddschecker.mobi/#_other-sports-cycling-giro-ditalia-giro-d-italia-winner

Only other contender I can think of is Scarponi. Kiserlovski's leading Radioshack & J-Rod isn't riding for Katusha. Evans is too long in the tooth now for a GT win.

I'd say the winner will come from the 4 main protagonists.

I even know the stage Wiggins will lose the Giro. The uphill time trial.

No idea who will win it yet though, as I haven't checked out the full starting line up.

I'd love to see Laurens ten Dam doing well though, if he is in the Giro.

Start list

I don`t think the uphill TT is too brutal, Wiggins may take time out of everybody. His big worries have to be the two huge stages in the Dolomites before the final stage. He`s not used to these climbs, very different to what he has faced in the Tour.

I even know the stage Wiggins will lose the Giro. The uphill time trial.

No idea who will win it yet though, as I haven't checked out the full starting line up.

I'd love to see Laurens ten Dam doing well though, if he is in the Giro.

I'd agree with Desert Nomad. The uphill time trial isn't brutal enough to snooker Wiggins completely. I think Wiggins will win the Giro. Nibali won the Trentino after Wiggins' mechanical I think. Cadel Evans is past it now.