Procycling thread

myshkin

Having looked a little closer at stage profiles for both the Giro & Tour, I`d say Wiggins will be at the Tour. The Giro does have a 55km ITT, but also an 18km mountain ITT & five hard mountain stages, all finishing at the top of hard climbs.

The Tour has ITT of 33km & 32km, the second of which is hilly, not a pure mountain test in the true sense. It has six mountain stages, with four mountain top finishes.

Both routes look fairly well balanced & suit a climber who can TT a bit, Contador for example. I think when Wiggins has a proper look, he`ll focus on the Tour. Sky & the British press/public will help make his mind up. He won`t win either regardless.

Having looked a little closer at stage profiles for both the Giro & Tour, I`d say Wiggins will be at the Tour. The Giro does have a 55km ITT, but also an 18km mountain ITT & five hard mountain stages, all finishing at the top of hard climbs.

The Tour has ITT of 33km & 32km, the second of which is hilly, not a pure mountain test in the true sense. It has six mountain stages, with four mountain top finishes.

Both routes look fairly well balanced & suit a climber who can TT a bit, Contador for example. I think when Wiggins has a proper look, he`ll focus on the Tour. Sky & the British press/public will help make his mind up. He won`t win either regardless.

Then again, this week he's spoken of the Tour goal being a one-off, and again talked up his Giro aspirations. There'll be less media attention in the UK on the Giro and perhaps less GC competition. I think he will ride the Tour but it won't be as Sky's GC contender. I actually think he has a good chance at taking pink - if he puts the hours in for it. Wiggins does the Giro he will likely be the best TTer in contention for the overall and we saw at Romandie recent evidence of his uphill TTing over a similar distance with a Cat 1 climb included. He'll also have a classy squad to support him in the mountains, with Cataldo and Kiryenka added to what was there this season. The Colombians will also likely be there and I wonder if 'climbing sensation' Dombrowski will get given the chance to cut his teeth at a GT (though I doubt it). Anyway, Sky will be able to send a strong squad to support Wiggins and Froome in the first two GTs.

So who will beat Brad in Italy? Purito if he goes for it perhaps though he will lose ground in the TT. Basso is past it. Scarponi might not be anywhere near cycling next season once the Ferrari case goes nuclear and again looks in decline. Nibbles? Again the TT will be a weakness. Who else? Hesjedal? Lightning doesn't strike twice IMO. Talansky? Pozzovivo or Gadret depending on who AG2R send? Costa perhaps? I still see BW.

Edited by Jim Leighton

Surely, aye. He tested positive in 1989.

I tell you what, for Team Sky being a clean team their selection process has been dubious.

A positive test requires to be positive for both the A and B sample. Yates' B sample proved negative and it was written off as a mix up of riders. Whether his was truly negative, who knows?

Anyway, Brailsford was on 5Live on Thursday night and said the initial recruitment process was not to employ people with doping convictions. They've refined that to not wanting to employ anyone with a doping past, though DB did say they have to take people at their word. I don't see what else they can do. The British press would tear them to shreds if they did the Garmin approach of Hug A Doper, so at least by offering any other Barry's or Julich's in their midst contractual financial support until they've been re-employed, they can make a choice to come clean or continue to deny the past, knowing that if they're found out they'll be sacked on the spot with no support.

Edited by Jim Leighton

Probably just a coincidence that this happened hot on the heels of Team Sky's latest statement on doping, but with Cavendish only being one year into a three year deal, it does make you think.........

Does it? Considering that this has been talked about for a couple of months now I don't think it's really that suspicious. There was talks about Cav leaving Sky because the team would be focusing even more on GTs, which would rather hamper his number of wins, dating back to the Tour de France

No coincidence at all he's been saying for months his future may lay away from team sky given they are a team going for GC's

Pish. He left because he was wasted at Team Sky.

Also, I see Tony Martin once again wiped the time trialling floor with everyone at the Chrono de Nations. The guy is an absolute beast at time trials. I think he'd probably have beaten Wiggins at the Olympics if he hadn't sustained that injury before the games.

Probably just a coincidence that so many key coaches and Cav have left Sky after their stance against doping, but with them all giving up lucrative contracts it does make you think.

What a crock of shit

Shove your bullshit attitude where the sun dont shine.

Lazy fat fucks who have never had a bike between their thighs.

What you've got to remember is that what ever the general consensus is on here, Mr. Brightside will go along with that.

Nothing official from Team Sky, but it's getting banded about that Yates and de Jongh have been binned over doping allegations.

Click.

Apparently Yates resigned. Brailsford left himself or Yates with no choice. Yates is an awful speaker but he was an integral part of Team Sky.

Probably just a coincidence that so many key coaches and Cav have left Sky after their stance against doping, but with them all giving up lucrative contracts it does make you think.

Come on, Cav's unhappiness at Sky goes back months to when he was told there'd be no green jersey attempt at the Tour. And he's been linked with OPQ for not far off the same length of time, way back in July when OPQ director Brian Holm (who he worked with before Sky) stated:

"I am interested in all available top riders. I assume that his agency still has my mobile number in its file. If I can believe the media, he has an annual salary of 2.4 million euro"

Cav's move to Sky has been a disaster for him and his sole aim just now is to beat Eddy Merckx's record of 34 Tour stage wins, and he's 11 off matching that. With Sky not having any interest in winning flat stages, or at least providing support to a sprinter in order to do so, Cav's chances of getting the 12 needed for the record would be slim.

Edited by Jim Leighton

I hardly think Cav will have left Team Sky for a contract worth 20p. He'll be on a healthy wage wherever he goes, his ability commands that.

Yates announces his retirement. But purely for "personal reasons". Hmmmmm.

Click.

brailsford and team sky are compulsive liars.

he didn't know millar was doping. he had no idea that armstrong or jullich or barry doped. he believes that sean yates - the director sportif of astana the year they were barred from the tour - has never been involved in doping.

there are only two options (i) brailsford is an idiot (ii) brailsford is an omerta obeying cheat.

brailsford and team sky are compulsive liars.

he didn't know millar was doping. he had no idea that armstrong or jullich or barry doped. he believes that sean yates - the director sportif of astana the year they were barred from the tour - has never been involved in doping.

there are only two options (i) brailsford is an idiot (ii) brailsford is an omerta obeying cheat.

Yeah, rode with Motorola and coached with CSC, Discovery Channel and Astana nothing suspicious about any of those teams.