Procycling thread

myshkin

Decent stage from Froome today, never panicked, kept control & limited losses to a couple of seconds. Only loser appeared to be Anton who just couldn't stick with it.

Contador looked ominously impressive, lets see if Valverde, J-Rod & the rest can stick with him over the three weeks.

General classification standings:

1. Alejandro Valverde (Spa/ Movistar) 8:46:56"

2. Benat Intxausti (Spa/ Movistar) +18"

3. Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa/ Katusha) +19"

4. Chris Froome (GB/ Team Sky) +20"

5. Alberto Contador (Spa/ Saxo Bank) +24"

6. Bauke Mollema (Ned/ Rabobank) +28"

7. Robert Gesink (Ned/Rabobank)

8. Rigoberto Uran (Col/ Team Sky) +30"

9. Daniel Moreno (Spa/ Katusha) +33"

10. Igor Anton (Spa/Euskaltel) +46"

Roche attacks while Froome & Contador look at one another. Valverde losing time on everybody of note.

Would imagine Movistar will be raging as, whilst Sky & Saxo didn't really put the hammer down, when Valverde crashed, they certainly didn't ease off.

I could see Harmons point that it was caused when Sky hitting the front of the Peleton with a change of pace. But it was more down to rider error, in not paying attention, with the touch of wheels that brought down Valverde & 3 team mates.

Certainly puts Valverde under pressure the rest of the race & J-Rod didn't look too impressive when Froome & Berty eased off the front on the final climb. The ITT will be the crunch day, & unless J-Rod can gain serious time in the only Pyrenean stage before that. It looks like becoming a two horse race.

The echelons formed to combat the wind seemed quite a sight.

Considering what that can do I was expecting Valverde to ship 5 mins+.

He was doing a large part of the work himself, & I think how close he got, by the finish, only showed how the others took as little advantage as they could in the circumstances.

Imagine how mental they would be going if it happened to UK Postal. Disgrace.

I can see the point, & the sudden interest of the British Press would have created a furore, had it happened to Froome.

But as was said, the initial move came before the crash, not vice versa. Had that been the case then it really would cause a stink.

Considering what that can do I was expecting Valverde to ship 5 mins+.

He was doing a large part of the work himself, & I think how close he got, by the finish, only showed how the others took as little advantage as they could in the circumstances.

Watching on eurosport 2. Bloody brilliant for the viewer and a heck of a hill finish.

An eventful stage. Can't quite see the Movistar problem, Sky made a move before the crash and I don't think they took as much advantage as they could. Etiquette suggest you sit up and wait, especially for the race leader, but it's not like they stamped all over the race as a result of the crash.

An eventful stage. Can't quite see the Movistar problem, Sky made a move before the crash and I don't think they took as much advantage as they could. Etiquette suggest you sit up and wait, especially for the race leader, but it's not like they stamped all over the race as a result of the crash.

Didn't see an etiquette issue, sky were on the front before the crash, they just kept going. See the point if it had involved half the peleton.

Exceptional conditions with those cross winds and Movistar were unfortunate.

Looks like it may already be coming down to a straight fight between Froome & Contador, although Froome may well suffer fatigue into the 2nd half of the race. The TT will be pivotal & J-Rod looked weak yesterday on the final climb, didn`t panic though.

Some epic stages over the penultimate weekend & the huge Bola del Mundo on the penultimate day.

Stage 14

14_perfil.png

Stage 15

15_perfil.png

Stage 16

16_perfil.png

Stage 20

20_perfil.png

Edited by Desert Nomad

Didn't see an etiquette issue, sky were on the front before the crash, they just kept going. See the point if it had involved half the peleton.

Exceptional conditions with those cross winds and Movistar were unfortunate.

Well someone at Sky is lying. Froome said he didn't know there was a crash, the sportif said he told the guys, Stannard said he knew there was a split but not a crash, he looked over his left shoulder directly at the crash, he may not have known who went down, but he absolutely knew there was a crash,

As for Movistars claims that Flecha intentionally brought them down? I thought Neil Lennon was the sportif for Movistar with those levels of paranoia. Why would Flecha crash on purpose when he will be one of Froomes main helpers in the mountains.

Anyway, personally I don't think there was too much of a problem. Nobody attacked as a result of the crash and if anything the cross winds cost Valverde getting back into the main field as much as any unsporting behaviour.

Been watching Eurosport and they had some American race on where there was no actual on road footage for the last 15 odd km. was killing myself at the commentary. But Jens Voight winning at age 41! Stayed away from field after an early split.

Thoughts from Vuelta highlights was that Froome got great back up just when he really needed it on the final climb. Nothing he could do about winning the stage, but should be a good slugfest over the next few days. Really enjoying how narrow the course can be through the towns.