Procycling thread

myshkin

Tragic news about Swiss cyclist Gino Mader, the thrills and spills are part of the attraction of the sport, but an event like this brings the balance between the pursuit of glory and safety into question.

1 hour ago, btb said:

Tragic news about Swiss cyclist Gino Mader, the thrills and spills are part of the attraction of the sport, but an event like this brings the balance between the pursuit of glory and safety into question.

Yes, very sad.  I sometimes can't watch the descents, especially if it's wet.

2 hours ago, Gnash said:

Yes, very sad.  I sometimes can't watch the descents, especially if it's wet.

Watching some of those descents gives me the shudders , I have full respect for them. This news has shocked me 

A real tragedy losing Mader like that. Apparently the result of a collision between himself & Ineos Sheffield, who walked away from the incident, but left the race with a concussion.

Had watched the highlights & seeing Ayuso nailing it, down the descent at 100 kph (60+mph), was 🫣 stuff.

Whilst still raw with the riders & Remco’s comments understandably conservative, given his crash @Lombardia the other year. These guys are well aware of the risks involved in top level pro cycling.

There have been sporadic fatalities over the years. Most notably Casartelli, Weylandt & now Mader. It is also not solely down to races concluding with descents. As there have been fatalities in flat races, such as Goolaerts @Roubaix.

Edited by kiddy

"How. Why. What's left now? Our eyes cry, our thoughts are devastated. We are all Gino. We always go faster and faster and push the limit. We flirt bend after bend with our limits. After all, we've done it a thousand times. The day, however, is pitch black when fate decides to take one of us with it, a fellow human being, an acrobat in a Lycra suit, with an injustice that knows how to tear us apart and cannot be repaired. We are only aware of the subconscious when we are overtaken by brutal reality and we are thus forever affected. If only the sincerity of our thoughts could comfort those left behind. We practice this sport to experience certain emotions, but never – really never – to see our cycling family mourn. Gino, a star that will shine forever.”

Emotional words by Roman Bardet.....

Watched the Tour of Slovenia y/day, with stage winner Peña & Zana both coming to grief at the same corner on different laps. Fortunate that it disappeared into meadow, but as has been said, it’s always been a major hazard within cycling.

3 hours ago, kiddy said:

Watched the Tour of Slovenia y/day, with stage winner Peña & Zana both coming to grief at the same corner on different laps. Fortunate that it disappeared into meadow, but as has been said, it’s always been a major hazard within cycling.

I don't know what you can do, the margins are so fine these days and guys are pushing themselves just that little bit harder, except pray to the God I don't believe exists that it doesn't happen too often.

57 minutes ago, btb said:

I don't know what you can do, the margins are so fine these days and guys are pushing themselves just that little bit harder, except pray to the God I don't believe exists that it doesn't happen too often.

There are sporadic fatalities in a lot of sports, from boxing to rugby, & a multitude of others. Participants are well aware of the risks.
How many cyclists have been killed by getting knocked down in training? Scarponi being the most recent example.

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Froomeless Tour this year. Not selected by IPC.

Retirement looms, I’d imagine. Hasn’t shown any sort of form this season.

Should have retired a couple of years ago, nothing left to prove and the sport has moved on he was always going to be left behind after an injury like that. 

53 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Should have retired a couple of years ago, nothing left to prove and the sport has moved on he was always going to be left behind after an injury like that. 

Always thought he should have taken the opportunity to retire in Paris, having made it back, & realising he was never going to be involved at the sharp end again.

Pretty sure the peloton would have afforded him the respect his palmares deserved by allowing him to head the first lap onto the Champ’s.