Procycling thread

myshkin

On 14/05/2023 at 21:59, Ignoramus said:

You wonder if a few more will follow, seems as if it’s fairly rife through the peloton, real shame as it was setting up as a good race.

8 more didn't start today, including 4 from soudal leaving only 3 in their team. All the talk yesterday was about them being able to go stage hunting now they didn't have Remco to ride for. 

On 15/05/2023 at 23:38, kiddy said:

Cima Coppi removed due to snow & avalanche threat, stage will go through tunnel.😟

Gran San Bernardo and the entire first half of the stage have now been removed.  They're still descending the Croix de Coeur, even though there are reports of ice. 😬

Down to 75km, but still with 2 cat 1 climbs, one right from the start, so potentially still very exciting.

On 17/05/2023 at 13:17, Bob in Denny said:

I've been over it twice in the last three weeks and it's a bumpy spotty mess, plenty of tar been used but glad I was in a car TBH....

Cycled over to Culross on Wed and they have done a lot of resurfacing work (still actually working on it) on the road from Longannet. I'd expect the Carron Valley road etc to be sorted too.

On 17/05/2023 at 09:56, Gnash said:

Maybe they will resurface the Crow Road.  At the weekend I saw a rider that had hit a large pothole on a bend on the descent.  She was lying in the ditch, in a burn, with her clubmates calling for an ambulance.  Apparently she broke 6 ribs + collar bone and suffered internal injuries.

Workmate is a member at Campsie Golf Club, he said one of the teams had been over doing their recce of the route and came in to the golf club for lunch. They said the condition of the roads on the route were as bad as they have ever seen.

8 hours ago, jaggyness said:

A penultimate stage mountain time trial with Roglic going for overall GC. What could possibly go wrong? 

His bike change rouse worked out well. Took back 3 secs & got pipped at the line by Magnus Cort  for the remaining bonus! Hope that doesn’t come back to haunt him.

45 minutes ago, btb said:

Roglic wins the TT to go into first by 14 secs!

Gutted for Thomas. Might not have been in that position had Remco not had to withdraw but to lose it on the last day of racing is pretty grim. At least Roglic has perhaps exercised the ghosts of the Tour.

8 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Gutted for Thomas. Might not have been in that position had Remco not had to withdraw but to lose it on the last day of racing is pretty grim. At least Roglic has perhaps exercised the ghosts of the Tour.

Baring in mind he was Ineos alternative plan (TGH was the man in form coming in), his performances over the last 3 weeks were like rolling back the years.

Some idiots on Twitter claiming the helmet change cost Thomas the Giro, forgetting he arrived at that point 3 secs up, then picked up 10-15 when Roglic slipped the chain. Those #helmets couldn't compute that the Giro was won/lost because the Slovenian was fastest up that final climb.

Though the picture of the JV bench, at the mechanical, was hilarious.

Sensational performance from Roglic. Really pleased for him after what he went through at the Tour in 2020.

G was fantastic for the three weeks and couldn't gave done anymore. I'd love to have seen him win it, but that's elite sport for you.

Well done Roglic. I can't help but think he wouldn't have dropped the chain with a normal cassette set up, but he was clearly the best on the day.  That climb was insane - 5km at 15.3% 😱

Really disappointed for G though.  Maybe a chance in the Vuelta?

1 hour ago, btb said:

Cavendish winning the final sprint - I'd say so!

Cavendish, by a country mile, at the Coliseum. You couldn’t make it up.

Well ‘G’ just did!

His “my wheel” shout, to LL Sanchez was epic.

Cav still showed he’s got the mental agility, in jumping from Milan’s wheel & slipstreaming Gaviria. Outstanding!

B7F58CF7-CE86-4899-BABD-2B5BCDA95F08.webp

Edited by kiddy

Really pleased to see The Manx Missile win the final stage in his final Giro , they said earlier on commentary that he had always won a stage , so I was delighted he kept the streak going, it was a superb piece of riding