Procycling thread

myshkin

Hate to be that guy but Hindley is at Bora. I agree with Shuggie, most of what he says is spot on. The problem with saying UAE and Ineos need to improve is, who do they go and sign to improve? JV now are like the 2012-15 sky in that they have all the best riders pretty much. Could one of the aforementioned sign a van der Poel? Hindley, Alaphilippe or Evenepoel? UAE do have Juan ayuso who is supposedly the next big thing in cycling and ineos have the likes of Tullet and Sheffield to compliment Pidcock but could any of them win a GT? I'm not sure. Could Roglic go to one of them since he's probably now behind Vingegaard? What, particularly ineos, need to do is convince all these (super)domestiques that's all they are going into a race. Could a Roglic/Hindley leading a team with Ganna, Rowe, Martinez, Yates, Kwiatkowski and Pidcock challenge Vingegaard or Pogacar? Probably. Hindley will always struggle until he sorts his ITT out against the very best GT contenders as he isn't in their league

At least Jumbo-Visma are exciting and decent to watch, probably because they're (seemingly) actively trying to win every jersey. Wout van Aert is a marvel every time he turns a wheel, Vingegaard looks to be the only person who can match Pogacar which people weren't sure was possible. Additionally watching Sepp Kuss, Tiesj Benoot and Kruijswijk bury themselves every day to nullify Pogacar is impressive. Infinitely more entertaining that watching Sky baby the Yellow jersey to Paris whilst under no real threat, whilst doing nothing else.

This going into every grand Tour with 2 or 3 team leaders needs to end for Ineos. All they are doing is hoping to get one of them on the podium. No intention of supporting one sole leader for the win.
Carapaz to EF seems a weird one. For my money, he's Ineos' best shout for a GT win these days, so I'm surprised they haven't done more to hang on to him, especially with Bernal still badly hurt. 
Given the extent of Bernal's injuries, I'd be very surprised if he's back challenging for GTs again. He suffered a fractured vertebrae, a fractured femur, a fractured patella, a punctured lung, broken ribs and the last I heard he badly messed up his neck too, which may also require surgery. That's going to be very tough to come back from and seriously challenge the elite guys like Pogacar, Vingegaard, Roglic, Carapaz etc.
Roglic is contracted to Jumbo until 2025, so I'm not really sure how he will be used moving forward. A great rider, but you always have that feeling that he has a bad day/mistake in him at any time. It's happened to him at multiple tours, and also at Paris Nice last year if I recall. Is he going to be happy play super domestique? I can;t see it or he wouldn't have abandoned so readily with Vingegaard in such a strong position. Or will he simply target the Vuelta and Giro? 
It'll be interesting to see how Pogacar/UAE react to this. I suspect they will seriously stregthen their climbing team in the off-season. This tour really exposed how weak their team is. Aside from Majka, and one excellent day for McNulty, they've been nowhere. Granted they've been unlucky with positive tests and injury, but if they still had a full compliment I really don't think it'd have made much difference.  I think it's vital they keep Majka. Even if they could add a Wilco Kelderman type, you feel they'd instantly be stronger.
It's exactly the same f**k up that Movistar have made with no clear leader and the domestiques have no idea how ro react to attacks in real time and who to support.

As was mentioned today, 4 years ago everybody was talking about Bernal dominating. Then a year later Pogacar dominating. Now we have Vingegaard looking the same.
Wonder who the next guy will be?

On 22/07/2022 at 18:19, peasy23 said:

It's exactly the same f**k up that Movistar have made with no clear leader and the domestiques have no idea how ro react to attacks in real time and who to support.

The Netflix doc was fucking hilarious for that. Just a nonsense team doing nonsense things.

37 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I played golf at Campsie Golf Club on Saturday which is on the Crow Road over the Campsies. They lease one of their buildings to a bike shop who have added a superb mural to the side of the building.b7af6b71117ed8ac03e09af7d9fa0961.jpg

I've never been over that way on the bike which is maybe odd considering I've been cycling around Glasgow for goodness knows how long. Wrong side of the river for me I suppose.

This is a great, great interview:

What a three weeks its been...

a rollercoaster ride from start to finish..

Pog looking invincible then the Dane stepping up to the plate..

Thomas in 3rd, who'd have thought that at the start..

Not the usual 'Sky/Ineos  chain ride'..

More please next year...

Roll on La Vuelta.

1 hour ago, Bob in Denny said:

What a three weeks its been...

a rollercoaster ride from start to finish..

Pog looking invincible then the Dane stepping up to the plate..

Thomas in 3rd, who'd have thought that at the start..

Not the usual 'Sky/Ineos  chain ride'..

More please next year...

Roll on La Vuelta.

I love La Vuelta. It's always a bit rogue, folk trying to salvage their season or looking for a new team. Cannot wait.

10 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I love La Vuelta. It's always a bit rogue, folk trying to salvage their season or looking for a new team. Cannot wait.

My thoughts too..

Always lacks the polish of the other two..

black mark on it from the 80s with Robert Millar's 'experience' (see Pippa York) though...

That's been an astounding 3 weeks of racing. I think it's my favourite TDF I've seen.

WVA is comfortably the best bike rider in the planet. You feel that, if he'd chosen to contest it, he could've won the green jersey by 500+ points.

Jumbo were exceptional from start to finish.

Despite his incredibly werak team, Pogacar has lit up the race. A proper throw back, just looking to blast clear at any given second of any stage. Brilliant stuff. 

Fair play to Thomas too. A very good 3 weeks for him. He was never on the same level as the big 2, but was streets ahead of the rest.

I've always had a soft spot for the Vuelta and I'm really looking forward to seeing the line-up for that too. You'd think that Roglic will try and finish the season on a high by having a crack at 4 in a row. Carapaz will be in the mix. Is Jai Hindley likely to have a crack  at the Vuelta? And perhaps Nibali will go out in a blaze of glory by hunting for stages.

I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

9 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Fair play to Thomas too. A very good 3 weeks for him. He was never on the same level as the big 2, but was streets ahead of the rest.

A big diesel engine. Didn't have the explosive power to match attacks from Pog and JV but just paced himself back every single time. A great performance. 

30 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

That's been an astounding 3 weeks of racing. I think it;s my favourite TDF I've seen.

WVA is comfortably the best bike rider in the planet. You feel that, if he;d chosen to contest it, he could've won the green jersey by 500+ points.

Jumbo were exceptional from start to finish.

Despite his incredibly werak team, Pogacar has lit up the race. A proper throw back, just looking to blast clear at any given second of any astage. Brilliant stuff. 

I've always had a soft spot for the Vuelta and I;m really looking forward to seeing the line-up for that too. You;d think that Roglic will try and finish the season on a high by having a crack at 4 in a row. Carapaz will be in the mix. Is Jai Hindley likely to haver a crack  at the Vuelta? And perhaps Nibali eill go out in a laze of glory by hunting for stages.

I'm looking forward to it.

I suspect Hindley might skip the vuelta with a 'home' worlds immediately after it 

• 2 weeks later...