Procycling thread

myshkin

Mental! Tremendous racing and amazing effort by Vingegaard. Guess it’s not over after all. I thought JV had blown it going from too far out, they then had 5 in the pack going up the last climb then suddenly down to just Vingegaard with 20km to go & Majka still there with Pogacar. It will be interesting to see how much all have expended today with what’s to come tomorrow.
Great effort from Thomas as well, unfortunate to be out of the podium spots. Mightly impressive from van Aert as well. 

How much has Vingegaard invested too? It's a 3 week race, & we're only halfway through.
Was impressed with the way Thomas seems to be riding into form for that final week.
Had my doubts that Thomas could threaten the podium at a grand tour again, but he's looking to be in very good nick.
Would say that anybody within 3 mins could still win this, but Pogacar's tour looks to be on the slide, the way he bonked.
And likewise, never thought we would see Pogacar fall apart like that based on his recent form.

When Big Mig bonked, it was in the last mountain stage, that cost him tour no.6, & he said "it only takes one bad day".
We're only halfway through this tour.
Any thoughts of Pogacar pulling this out the fire, would class him alongside Lazarus & Landis.

Great spectacle today with the twists and turns (literally on various parts of the course) matched by the climbs, especially the final one, making it a fantastic armchair day of genuine sport.

Chapeau to all involved.

ps, i sincerely hope that none of the protagonists are found to have the chemical equivalent of an electric assistance for their bikes in their system once the race is finished.

Edited by hearthammer

Fantastic stage.  What a ride by Vingegaard, what a surprising collapse by Pogacar.  Surprisingly good performance from Quintana as well, and Thomas and Yates held up well too. 

2 hours ago, kiddy said:

Any thoughts of Pogacar pulling this out the fire, would class him alongside Lazarus & Landis.

Not sure about that, I would still class him as favourite.  One bad stage doesn't mean he's done, especially as I suspect the high altitude was a factor.  But it makes it so exciting for the rest of the tour!  

2 hours ago, Gnash said:

Fantastic stage.  What a ride by Vingegaard, what a surprising collapse by Pogacar.  Surprisingly good performance from Quintana as well, and Thomas and Yates held up well too. 

Not sure about that, I would still class him as favourite.  One bad stage doesn't mean he's done, especially as I suspect the high altitude was a factor.  But it makes it so exciting for the rest of the tour!  

Indeed, starting with tomorrow's stage. 

5 hours ago, kiddy said:

When Big Mig bonked, it was in the last mountain stage, that cost him tour no.6, & he said "it only takes one bad day".
We're only halfway through this tour.

6 hours ago, kiddy said:

Ranks alongside Froome's Giro win in Bardonnechia

I'd class CF's Giro recovery alongside those two tbh.

I've never seen a grand tour stage like today's. The way that that JV attacked and counter attacked Pogacar truly was a sight to behold. After 20-odd years of US Postal, Sky and Ineos strangling the life out of the tour, it was so refreshing to see the gloves off and the main GC guys attacking each other. All the while, Thomas just rode tempo and let them batter 6 shades of shit out of each other. 

1 hour ago, printer said:

Indeed, starting with tomorrow's stage. 

Pogacar has already said he's going to come out swinging. But he can't do it on his own and his team doesn't seem up to it. Majka has COVID, the effect this will take on his is unknown. Whereas JV look on top form. Have they burned too many matches today?