Procycling thread

myshkin

26 minutes ago, kiddy said:
7 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Eh, no. Tenuous links like that are embarrassing, unless he had ridden for Scotland before. As much as claiming Froome & Wiggo are British. Yates & TGH are English, Thomas is Welsh.

Wiggins as British is hardly a tenuous link, given he spent almost his entire childhood in the UK.

Wiggins as British is hardly a tenuous link, given he spent almost his entire childhood in the UK.
Wiggins is Belgian, with an Australian father. Froome's worse having been born in Kenya & lived years in SA!

8 hours ago, kiddy said:
12 hours ago, Gnash said:

Wiggins is Belgian, with an Australian father. 

But he's not though.  He happened to be born there, otherwise has very little connection to the country.

Wiggins and Froome are perfectly entitled to be referred to as British. Froome's parents were British and that is every bit as strong a claim as being born in the country.

Not sure whether Geoghan Hart sees himself as British, Scottish or English, but he can call himself any or all of these IMO. It's up to him.

I found the Scotsman article a bit embarrassing.

Sam Bennett takes the sprint finish, but relegated for an irregular sprint, fined & deducted points.
He had been leaning into somebody a couple if times in the last km or so, but seemed a good way out from the line.

38 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Good win for Carthy on top of the vuelta's most iconic climb.

Tremendous effort. Chapeau Hugh!

Roglic was lucky he had Sepp Kuss with him right to the end, otherwise he would likely have lost a lot more time. 

What brutal climb! 😂

Realistically, this is the last really tough day. I know stage 17 is tough but the distance between the two hardest climbs makes it unlikely Roglic will be massively gapped. I would say, to have any chance of overall victory, Carapaz or anyone else would need to be within 40 seconds of Roglic after today's stage. And given Roglic is amongst the top time triallists in the world, I think that's unlikely with the pan flat nature before the climb today. Id be surprised if he wasn't the best part of 90seconds ahead of the other GC contenders at the foot of the climb.