Procycling thread

myshkin

Just so happens British rider picks up bronze. Apparently the drafting was 130+km's out after a bad crash.

Wonder if they're going to start applying this in the ProTour?

Reports vary of anything between 15 sec's & 2 mins of drafting. But just think back to La Vuelta's stage to Toledo!

Just so happens British rider picks up bronze. Apparently the drafting was 130+km's out after a bad crash.
Wonder if they're going to start applying this in the ProTour?
Reports vary of anything between 15 sec's & 2 mins of drafting. But just think back to La Vuelta's stage to Toledo!

The strangest thing was that Eurosport must have killed their coverage whenever it was supposed to stop, which was before the official result. I had watched it on the BBC red button, and it was about 40 minutes after it had ended that they finally announced the amended result. Watched the highlights late last night on Eurosport, and it didn't even mention the DQ. Anybody watching that would still think the Dutch rider won.

16 hours ago, kiddy said:

I'll just leave this here. No wonder he got binned.

That does look worthy of a DQ.  Telling that the 2 riders he overtook didn't latch on as well. 

But these rules have to be applied more consistently.  He may have watched the Vuelta and thought he'd get away with it.

Edited by Gnash

I know the Commisaires usually allow a certain amount of leeway when someone crashes in an individual stage, but I thought drafting was pretty much banned in all circumstances in time trials? The TV camera bike and the team car are always behind the rider and you're not even allowed to draft your 3 minute man (or anyone else that you catch). Seems pretty clear cut?

I know the Commisaires usually allow a certain amount of leeway when someone crashes in an individual stage, but I thought drafting was pretty much banned in all circumstances in time trials? The TV camera bike and the team car are always behind the rider and you're not even allowed to draft your 3 minute man (or anyone else that you catch). Seems pretty clear cut?
It wasn't a TT.

Today's elite RR route has apparently been altered due to rainfall. Sounds like a climb may have been taken out. How many times they were due to take it, IDK?

*Major loop, round Dales taken out. Bottom of Butterdubs climb completely submerged.

Today's elite RR route has apparently been altered due to rainfall. Sounds like a climb may have been taken out. How many times they were due to take it, IDK?

*Major loop, round Dales taken out. Bottom of Butterdubs climb completely submerged.
Just once as far as I can make out, they are now doing 9 laps of the finishing circuit rather than 7 to make up some of the lost distance.

I watched on Parliament Street - the incline about 500m from the end - and though the weather wasn't quite as bad as I feared, I wasn't racing in it... (The rain finally went off, ooh, round about ten minutes after the race ended.)

Have to say that on looking at pre race odds, Trentin stood out to me, probably thinking of his win in Glasgow last year in similar (but not quite as bad) conditions. So for a short while as he looked the likely winner, I was cursing my failure to put a bet on...

Pedersen a real surprise winner. Totally unnoticed by me, he came second in last year's Tour of Flanders, but that's really his only result so far that would have even hinted he could contend at the Worlds.

Good week for the youngsters, then, following Evenepoel taking silver in the TT.

I'd have put everything on Trentin, with 5K to go. A fairly spectacular bonk from Mattieu Van Der Poel too!

"On the last lap I was there thinking about the sprint, on paper I was the fastest but after such a tough race the paper doesn't count for anything.

I came here with the legs and the intentions to win. But if we talk about the sprint, all I can say is that Pedersen was better. It will bother me through the year every time I see him in that jersey."

-Matteo Trentin

Edited by kiddy

I'd have put everything on Trentin, with 5K to go. A fairly spectacular bonk from Mattieu Van Der Poel too!
"On the last lap I was there thinking about the sprint, on paper I was the fastest but after such a tough race the paper doesn't count for anything.
I came here with the legs and the intentions to win. But if we talk about the sprint, all I can say is that Pedersen was better. It will bother me through the year every time I see him in that jersey."
-Matteo Trentin

Aye, van der Poel was looking really good then what seemed like a seconds later he was going backwards.

• 3 weeks later...
Next year's Tour route has been revealed with a harder looking first week than has been the norm in the last few years. Stage 20 is a 36km time trial finishing at the top of La Planche des Belles Filles.
Been a while since they've had a Mountain TT? I wonder if that will suit Froome, assuming he's made a comeback by then.