Procycling thread

myshkin

Bit of a damp squib in the end unfortunately.  All the key contenders either unwilling or unable to attack.

Bernal is a bit scary.  He has the potential to be a double figures tour winner.  He seems a nice kid but I hope it doesn't turn into a Bernal procession every year.

Sky did to cycling as Abu Dhabi (Man City) did to the EPL and now that Ineos have become Brailsford’s sugar daddy, I suspect their domination will continue for as long as Jim Ratcliffe is happy to maintain the lavish funding as part of his long term strategy of greenwashing his organisation’s activities.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ineos

Was really disappointed that Kruijswijk couldn’t close the 12 second gap to Thomas today, much as I dislike Brailsford and all his machinations, he certainly knows how to put together a GC squad.....then again, with those kind of resources, it would be hard to feck it up......☹️

26 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

The long awaited and expected period of South American cycling dominance has arrived

It's too early to say that as they haven't beaten Chris Froome.

The reality is that the Team Sky/Ineos dominance of the TdF, even without Froome, continues. First and second without Froome, especially with Thomas crashing three times, is another dominant result.

When a South American beats Froome's GT record, I consider him to be a dominant rider. When there are four different South American winners of GTs (with individual palmares to match those of Wiggins, Froome, Thomas and Yates), that will be a new dominance. 

Let's see how the Vuelta goes. Simon Yates looks to be getting back to his best form.

35 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Sky did to cycling as Abu Dhabi (Man City) did to the EPL and now that Ineos have become Brailsford’s sugar daddy, I suspect their domination will continue for as long as Jim Ratcliffe is happy to maintain the lavish funding as part of his long term strategy of greenwashing his organisation’s activities.

Was really disappointed that Kruijswijk couldn’t close the 12 second gap to Thomas today, much as I dislike Brailsford and all his machinations, he certainly knows how to put together a GC squad.....then again, with those kind of resources, it would be hard to feck it up......☹️

Dave Brailsford, when interviewed by Eurosport this afternoon, said that Bernal is on a very low salary. He said that money was not the issue - other teams could have signed him but they did not spot his talent. Brailsford sees Bernal as the first of a new generation of young Ineos riders. If Froome is done, the timing could not be better.

Dave Brailsford, when interviewed by Eurosport this afternoon, said that Bernal is on a very low salary. He said that money was not the issue - other teams could have signed him but they did not spot his talent. Brailsford sees Bernal as the first of a new generation of young Ineos riders. If Froome is done, the timing could not be better.

Fair do’s, if that is true, but I’d imagine there would be huge bonuses on offer for a TdF victory. Just for interest :-
https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/cycling-news-bradley-wiggins-on-team-ineos-salary-cap_sto7201609/story.shtml

If dave brailsford said it was monday i would check the calendar. Has kruijswijk ever put in an attack his whole career, only 12 seconds behind second place, team mates emptying themselves for him and he sits on thomas wheel all day and ends up LOSING time. 

Real winner of the tour is alaphillipe.

4 minutes ago, F_T_Y said:

If dave brailsford said it was monday i would check the calendar. Has kruijswijk ever put in an attack his whole career, only 12 seconds behind second place, team mates emptying themselves for him and he sits on thomas wheel all day and ends up LOSING time. 

Bernal is the real winner, clearly the strongest rider in the race. Alaphillipe is not a climber and that was confirmed brutally over the last two days. If yesterday's  and today's stages had not been shortened, he would have lost much more time and finished outside the top 10. Still, those 14 yellow jerseys will fetch a few bob on Ebay.

Bernal is the real winner, clearly the strongest rider in the race.

I did wonder why he didn’t go baws oot for second place today as he could also have won the KoM.......maybe a bit whipped after yesterday’s heroics. However, winning 3 jerseys in one TdF would have been pretty cool.

Bound to be hard, to attack, when everyone is riding on the limit. But I do agree about Alaphilippe, fans lap riders like him up. The terms Panache & Joie De Vivre instantly spring to mind when watching him.

5 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I did wonder why he didn’t go baws oot for second place today as he could also have won the KoM.......maybe a bit whipped after yesterday’s heroics. However, winning 3 jerseys in one TdF would have been pretty cool.

Even Dave Brailsford knew that attacking Bardet was not a good idea. After Pinot dropping out and Alaphillipe losing the yellow jersey yesterday, that would have been putting the boot into French cycling. It's likely that Bernal would have been booed on the Champs Elysees. An Ineos 1-2 will more than enough to wind up the French press yet again.

Even Dave Brailsford knew that attacking Bardet was not a good idea. After Pinot dropping out and Alaphillipe losing the yellow jersey yesterday, that would have been putting the boot into French cycling. It's likely that Bernal would have been booed on the Champs Elysees. An Ineos 1-2 will more than enough to wind up the French press yet again.

Not a fan of the French, Your Eminence ? [emoji3]

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Not a fan of the French, Your Eminence ? emoji3.png

I love almost everything French, especially the Cs - Champagne, claret, chablis.... 😁 

However, a significant proportion of French fans and journalists are insanely jealous of British cycling success.

It's hard not experience the joy of Schadenfreude when a Team Sky/Ineos rider wins Le Tour! 😂

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I have no problem with Ineos riders winnning tours, as long as there are different riders winning and the tours are well contested by others.  

But Bernal is so good so young that, fully supported, it's hard to see how he won't just sweep everone aside for the next 10 years.  That will make for very dull tours.

Hope I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Brilliant ! English, German and French in one sentence ! You voted ‘Remain’, aye ??
Bien joué, mon brave !

You underestimate the love and knowledge of our wonderful Europe that the Bishop holds in his very core!

"Ineo" is Latin for a new beginning, "Eos" is the Greek goddess of dawn and "neos" means something new and innovative. As a result, the name Ineos represents the "dawn of something new and innovative"

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You underestimate the love and knowledge of our wonderful Europe that the Bishop holds in his very core!

You're right; I do love Europe!

My CD collection is full of European composers, artists and orchestras. I love lieder, especially Schubert, and Italian opera. 

I had girlfriends from the Netherlands, Germany, Poland and Russia. My wife is half Italian. We holiday in Spain every year and love to eat out in tapas bars. 

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Scary to think how dominant Ineos can be. 6 of the last 8 Grand Tours have been won by Sky/Ineos or a rider signed to them for next season in the case of Carapaz. The Yates boys look like possible contenders and Simon obviously already has one, as does Dumoulin, and Roglic is quite exciting but despite there being so many great cyclists at the moment, Ineos just look "super strong" to use a Yatesism.

You're right; I do love Europe!
My CD collection is full of European composers, artists and orchestras. I love lieder, especially Schubert, and Italian opera. 
I had girlfriends from the Netherlands, Germany, Poland and Russia. My wife is half Italian. We holiday in Spain every year and love to eat out in tapas bars. 
Blew it at the end there. Everybody knows when you go to Spain you have to hit all the Irish bars.[emoji6]

Just now, kiddy said:

Blew it at the end there. Everybody knows when you go to Spain you have to hit all the Irish bars.emoji6.png

Perhaps you do. There are no Irish bars, that I know of, on the Costa de la Luz. 

I recommend Juve & Camps cava which beats the more expensive Freixenets. 😎