Procycling thread

myshkin

Tomorrows stage being altered too. Do you get the impression they're trying to give Alaphilipe a chance?

Due to the difficult weather conditions expected tomorrow and land slides noticed, the course of the 20th stage of the Tour de France will be modified.
After taking off from Albertville, the stage will go on the N90 road to head directly to Moutiers and then go on the initial end of stage at the N90 – D915 roundabout, 36kms from the finish.
The start will be given in Albertville at 14:30 for a total distance of 59kms.
All the intial sporting points will be withdrawn except the KOM standings at the finish in Val Thorens.

Cormet Roselend not passable tomorrow due to a mudslide. Departure is now 14h30 from Albertville, 60km stage. Route still under consideration. Could be climb to Val Thorens only

EAbM_IYXoAEXqjy.jpg

Edited by kiddy

Tomorrows stage being altered too. Do you get the impression they're trying to give Alaphilipe a chance?
Due to the difficult weather conditions expected tomorrow and land slides noticed, the course of the 20th stage of the Tour de France will be modified.
After taking off from Albertville, the stage will go on the N90 road to head directly to Moutiers and then go on the initial end of stage at the N90 – D915 roundabout, 36kms from the finish.
The start will be given in Albertville at 14:30 for a total distance of 59kms.
All the intial sporting points will be withdrawn except the KOM standings at the finish in Val Thorens.

Cormet Roselend not passable tomorrow due to a mudslide. Departure is now 14h30 from Albertville, 60km stage. Route still under consideration. Could be climb to Val Thorens only
EAbM_IYXoAEXqjy.jpg&key=a437c39319251b54652671417db76771270c8ea50f3465bc4261381bef830c72
Surely Bernal can just stick to his wheel? Doesn't give Thomas, Kruiswijk or any of the rest of them a change really either.

Yeah, it's a real pity. Who knows what the time gaps would have been if the full stage had been raced yesterday. It may well have been set on a knife edge for a full difficult stage today - with all three podium places up for grabs.

Having said that, Bernal looks by far the strongest.

Such a shame, the impact the weather is having on this year's Tour finale. With 5 still in with a chance, it appears it will end up with a complete anti-climax.

Today should be hugely exciting. Tactics will go largely out of the window as it's only 40 miles up a big hill. It'll be attack after attack. I see Bernal taking it, but I'd love it to be Alaphillippe or Pinot (pour la France, bien sur!). 

Genuinely excited for this.

Today should be hugely exciting. Tactics will go largely out of the window as it's only 40 miles up a big hill. It'll be attack after attack. I see Bernal taking it, but I'd love it to be Alaphillippe or Pinot (pour la France, bien sur!). 

Genuinely excited for this.
Guessing you missed this yesterday...

Take a massive crack for Bernal to lose the Jersey. First since Andy schleck to win White and Yellow? Looking slightly further ahead I wonder if G will be leading Ineos at the vuelta? No other real candidates with froome out and Bernal winning the tour?

Just watching Eurosports highlights & after stage show. Wiggins was pictured going through deep hail/slush & mentioned it was only for a length of 500/1000m on exiting a tunnel from Val D'Isere. This was obviously recorded before the landslip footage emerged.

As to the stage itself, unlike Eurosport who are trying to portray some sort of conflict within Ineos, I believe when Thomas attacked Bernal took up the passive role to his team lead. Marking the yellow jersey until Thomas attack had been hauled back by the other GC contenders.

On rejoining the 'Peleton' Bernal then went to the front & applied a pace nobody could live with, leaving Thomas to take up the passive role with Kruijswijk & Buchmann.

Whilst Alaphillipe may have been closing on the descent, I could only see him (& the Peleton) ditching more time to the Colombian on the ascent to the finish. That's not to forget Simon Yates chance of taking yet another stage, but that was also looking a long shot at the top of the Col De l'Isoran.

Edited by kiddy

Bit of a damp squib in the end unfortunately.  All the key contenders either unwilling or unable to attack.

Bernal is a bit scary.  He has the potential to be a double figures tour winner.  He seems a nice kid but I hope it doesn't turn into a Bernal procession every year.