Procycling thread

myshkin

Not to mention Kruiswick and even Buchman. As Kiddy says, the best tour for years.

My money is still on G, but I'd love to see Pinot or Allaphillipe win. As long as the level of racing and drama continues to the end.

As long as Thomas is still the Ineos's best placed rider, Bernal has made up 59 seconds in the two mountain stages since the TT.
Unsurprisingly Thomas's body language was a lot more positive in the post-stage interviews than the previous two days.
All to ride for in the Alps for Alaphillipe, Thomas, Pinot & Bernal. 

Just under 50k left and looks a dead cert to be a bunch sprint as predicted on today's stage, all the GC contending teams are at the front of the peloton as nobody wants to get caught out by the crosswinds like Pinot and others did earlier in the race. 5 man break about 40 seconds up the road but can't see them holding out.

Fuglsang out of the race, crashed with 27k or so left. Whole team stopped to wait but after being checked by the team doctor he was helped into the team car.
Probably his best chance, but he was ninth @5.26 (+ any time lost today) &, a stage win apart, his tour was over. Didn't look to serious.

Brian Smith is slavering some pish regarding Thomas/Bernal & communication issues.
Thomas has, as nearest challenger, been racing Alaphillipe the last 2 days in the Pyrenees. Bernal has been used defensively, covering Pinot's efforts to gain time back; lost in the crosswinds.
Alaphillipe & Thomas still sit 1/2 in GC & have limited their losses in doing so.
That was exactly how Thomas took last year's Tour, yet he would like to insert some sort of story of unrest between the pair.
Did he want Bernal to pace Thomas, along with Pouwels, & both riders ship major time to Pinot? As it stands, Ineos still have two cards in their hand.

Race into Gap today, though from the opposite side to #BelokiCorner, apparently.[emoji20]

https://youtu.be/778-0BQvN-4

Ooft, 16 years ago!

Christ, time flies.

Certainly no dramas like that today with everyone conserving their energy for the next few days, good breakaway by Matteo Trentin to take the stage win.

Luke Rowe and Tony Martin both thrown out the race for some shenanigans on the road today. The clip ITV4 showed was nothing really, so I'm assuming there was more. Otherwise seemed harsh; Rowe was nearly in tears when being interviewed after coming out of the commisars van.

Luke Rowe and Tony Martin both thrown out the race for some shenanigans on the road today. The clip ITV4 showed was nothing really, so I'm assuming there was more. Otherwise seemed harsh; Rowe was nearly in tears when being interviewed after coming out of the commisars van.
Must have been a lot more to it as the only thing they showed was Martin blocking Rowe and forcing him towards the side of the road. Rowe certainly wouldn't feature much on the climbs to come but he will be missed on the flat parts.

Few suffering views on Twitter as usual depending on country/team loyalties but the basics seem to be that:

Rowe felt that Thomas had been forced into the gutter by 4 Jumbo Visma riders.

Rowe retaliates by leaning on Kruiswijk and forcing him across the road.

Martin spots it and further up the road forces Rowe almost off the road.

Rowe responds by grabbing Martin's neck.

Imo I've seen worse over the years that have only led to fines.

I can only assume that Pippa York is working / commentating for another network when the peloton hits the big stuff, otherwise I’m completely at a loss as to why ITV let her go at this point. 🤷‍♂️

ETA- Peloton completely fragmented, QuickStep can’t keep up with MoviStar and Alaphillipe left isolated with no team mates.

ETA2- https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2019/jul/25/tour-de-france-2019-stage-18-live?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I can only assume that Pippa York is working / commentating for another network when the peloton hits the big stuff, otherwise I’m completely at a loss as to why ITV let her go at this point. [emoji2369]

ETA- Peloton completely fragmented, QuickStep can’t keep up with MoviStar and Alaphillipe left isolated with no team mates.
Yep, chaotic at the moment. Quintana is actually second on the virtual GC, surprised he's been allowed to go so far up the road.

Noticed on yesterday's Eurosport coverage, they mentioned early morning blood doping tests were conducted with Ineos/JV & DQS, but NOT FDJ!
Did anyone else catch it?
It was just pretty much flippantly passed through in the conversation & allowed to drop.

Today’s stage uphill from the very start and 3km in Marc Soler has already set out the MoviStar stall..........Alaphillipe well back in the peloton, which is already stretched out........

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2019/jul/26/tour-de-france-2019-stage-19-live?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Major News! Pinot's Tour looks done. Seems to be a muscular problem, in the 1st 10 Km, had strapping taken off by doc's car. Must have been applied by his team physio, but by the pain on his face it looks terminal, cycling without any team mates just now as the gap to the peleton opens.

3 mins & growing. Gutting for him, but as soon as they hit the first major climb he went back to the medical car. Looked to be under his horts & around his thigh

Edited by kiddy