Procycling thread

myshkin

11 minutes ago, kiddy said:

I think that Groenewegen excepted, the rest might have had their day too. There's a new generation heading through lead by the likes of the aforementioned & Wout Van Aert.

Possibly. Van Aert is riding to support Groenewegen this year.

Fernando Gaviria would be an obvious contender if he wasn't injured. He, Kittel and Cav (if fit) would have made the sprints much more competitive.

With Froome and Dumoulin out too, this year's Tour does not excite me as much as usual.

6 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Fernando Gaviria would be an obvious contender if he wasn't injured. He, Kittel and Cav (if fit) would have made the sprints much more competitive.

With Froome and Dumoulin out too, this year's Tour does not excite me as much as usual.

It's by far the weakest of the 3 GT's to win, but carries the biggest Kudos. This may well present Nibali with his last chance to take yellow for a 2nd time.

Definitely the most open race for years.

3 minutes ago, kiddy said:

It's by far the weakest of the 3 GT's to win, but carries the biggest Kudos. This may well present Nibali with his last chance to take yellow for a 2nd time.

Definitely the most open race for years.

Nibali lacks both consistency and quality team support. The same applies to Zakarin.

I hope that the over-rated and wheel-sucking Quintana flops again. I'd like Landa to beat him and Valverde.

Aru could be a surprise contender and I want Dan Martin to do very well.  

My money is on an Ineos win - probably Bernal or possibly Thomas if he finds his best form.

Fuglsang 1st of GC contenders to crash, wi 18 to go. Pretty bashed up, burst nose bleeding from face. Struggling along.

Looks as though he'll get back on to the peleton.

Jumbo Visma take the stage, just by one of their lead out train, Mike Theunissen; by a rim from Sagan!

Crash in last 3k, involving Groenewegan, Thomas caught up in it.

Really disappointed with Eurosport having Bradley Wiggins as part of their presentation team this year.  With all the dark clouds still not cleared following his "asthma" medicine aiding and abetting him over the years, they would have been as well getting Lance Armstrong to give expert analysis on what it takes to "win".

Sky have morphed into Ineos now, but i wonder if the "win at all costs" mentality will be allowed to continue using whatever (legal or otherwise) is required ??  (Geraint Thomas excepted). 

Really disappointed with Eurosport having Bradley Wiggins as part of their presentation team this year.  With all the dark clouds still not cleared following his "asthma" medicine aiding and abetting him over the years, they would have been as well getting Lance Armstrong to give expert analysis on what it takes to "win".
Sky have morphed into Ineos now, but i wonder if the "win at all costs" mentality will be allowed to continue using whatever (legal or otherwise) is required ??  (Geraint Thomas excepted). 
He did the Giro earlier and I think he's a fairly regular studio guest tbf, in fact he does a YouTube thing or a podcast or something for them too I think? Over on ITV4, I miss Chris Boardman. Pete Kennaugh is still learning the trade but it's a tough watch at times as the master Gary Imlach tries to coax something meaningful from him.

Crazy finish, not sure if I liked it or not since it seemed a bit too much at the end but it made for an interesting spectacle. Great stuff from Alaphillipe but also a great ride from Thomas - I thought the steep ramps would have favoured Yates, Quintana and Bernal but to be the only one chasing down the yellow jersey at the end only cements his place as favourite IMO.

Thought it was a masterstroke to finish at the very pinnacle of La Planche Des Bel Filles. Chapeau , Mssr Preudhomme.

That Chiccone & Alaphillipe both gassed within meters of the line, showed how tough a test it was for the world's best riders.

Brilliant stage today. De Gent is a machine, thoroughly deserved the win.

Not sure Allaphillipe can or will go for GC, but Pinot looks very strong and may well give Ineos a proper run for their money now he has a handful of seconds advantage over G and Bernal.

Cracking Tour so far.

Not sure Allaphillipe can or will go for GC, but Pinot looks very strong and may well give Ineos a proper run for their money now he has a handful of seconds advantage over G and Bernal.

Cracking Tour so far.
Agreed, it's been more like a Giro with unpredictable winners, great solo breaks, brutal ramps and crashes all over the place. Pinot looks "super strong" to use a Yates phrase, and he will surely be the biggest challenger to Thomas (who to be fair looked very good himself when getting back onto the peloton after his mishap). De Gendt was superb today though, the guy is a machine.

Cracking Tour so far.

Alaphillipe is explosive enough, whether he can grind it out in the HC climbs, is another matter. The French must be having kittens just now at the thought of a home win though. 35 years, since Hinhault beat LeMond!

Disappointing Nibali has pretty much canned it. Think his days if GT wins are gone now.

Alaphillipe is explosive enough, whether he can grind it out in the HC climbs, is another matter. The French must be having kittens just now at the thought of a home win though. 35 years, since Hinhault beat LeMond! 

Disappointing Nibali has pretty much canned it. Think his days if GT wins are gone now.

I'd really love Pinot to win it to enjoy the French reaction.