Procycling thread

myshkin

Another stage down for Yates, despite losing several seconds to Mas and Valverde. The rest, especially Quintana, appear to be gone now.

The Andorra stages will suit both Yates twins more than Valverde certainly; if not Mas. So Simon is now close enough that he'll be able to taste it.

Was hoping Kruiswijk would take more time out of Yates in the TT (I've never taken to either twin for some reason - I don't know if it's his dull interviews or what it is) but then he cracked on the mountain anyway so it looks like Valverde is the only big threat unless he has another Giro style implosion. Fair play though - for all Sky's previous dominance there are a lot of good teams out there with strong domestiques and people who can attack at the right time. Good to see the Dutch having a bit of a renaissance too in recent years.

Fair play to yates, aggressive rider who goes out on the attack without the same sort of assistance from team members that other gc men get.  Movistar bizarrely  done most of the work out front and then valverde and quintana were both cooked on the final climb.

Think Valverde & Quintana have had their day. Movistar should be planning for the future having missed out on Bernal, Kuss & Mas.
Totally agree. There shouldn't be any doubt now that landa should be leading their gc challenges and squads built around him, not going with co leaders.

Next season already looking really interesting. I still think either Yates will be up against it with dumoulin and especially froome and Thomas as the sky boys in particular can build much stronger squads than mithchelton Scott. Although Jack haig has been a star at the giro and vuelta

Tremendous win by Yates in a thoroughly entertaining Vuelta. With Lopez and Mas finishing so strongly we should be in for interesting grand tours over the next several years.

I don't think Movistar have handled the Quintana/Valverde (and now Landa) thing well since Quintana burst onto the grand tour top table. Quintana's lack of form in the high mountains has been bemusing the last 2 or 3 years.

Not sure if Mitchelton Scott have a full roster yet for next year. It will be interesting to see who they sign if they haven't. Bound to be some interesting discussions with the Yates twins about GT targets for next year.

3 hours ago, printer said:

Tremendous win by Yates in a thoroughly entertaining Vuelta. With Lopez and Mas finishing so strongly we should be in for interesting grand tours over the next several years.

I don't think Movistar have handled the Quintana/Valverde (and now Landa) thing well since Quintana burst onto the grand tour top table. Quintana's lack of form in the high mountains has been bemusing the last 2 or 3 years.

Not sure if Mitchelton Scott have a full roster yet for next year. It will be interesting to see who they sign if they haven't. Bound to be some interesting discussions with the Yates twins about GT targets for next year.

Be interesting to see if Adam sticks with Simon, or goes into the squad alongside Chavez?

Think most folk realise Movistar are at a turning point, where they've already invested in Landa, Valverde could be dispensed with & Quintana really hasn't come up with the results for over two years. They've got a supporting cast comparable to Sky, but nobody with the killer instinct to carry it home to the finish line.

Wonder if they'll make a move for Mas, as he really was the revelation of La Vuelta.

Edited by kiddy

Movistar have had no idea how to handle having two GC contenders tbh, not helped by the fact that either rider wasn't particularly keen to work hard for the other. (Or at least that was how it has looked to me)