Procycling thread

myshkin

By the way Mr Tashkent Terror...hows your head doing after that crash on the Champs Elysees? Looked a sore one.

He is a fucking legend, Probably the best sprinter ever. Yes, even better than Cavendish. That crash was jaw dropping, absolutely stunning, someone please go to Youtube and get it, I can't be arsed. I think that was the day that helmets were brought in for every stage. I hate that though, especially in the mountains.

He breeds racing pigeons these days for a living these days, did you know that?

Anyway, Cav will win tomorrow. Where does Pettachi need to finish to win the green jersey, assuming obviously Cav doesn't do an Abdou?

If Contador wins the tour by any less than 40 seconds then I for one won't particularly view him as the winner.

Well I didn't see that coming. Superb TT by Schlecks standards. For me this is the closest tour I've seen especially considering the controversy the other day. But it has been fascinating. The 39 seconds Contador took the other day is all that separates them which just shows how evenly matched they have been. Schleck has been a huge surprise this year. I expected him to make podium, and if I'm being honest I fully expected him to get 2nd, but I never imagined he'd be as close as this to Contador.

As for tomorrow, Cav looks like a shoe in after his win yesterday. Not too sure where Pettachi has to come to win the green. Big Thor must be gutted that Cancellara nutralised the race into Spa now, it really has cost him.

I read that Petacchi has to finish in the top 6 if Cavendish wins, but I think that was assuming that none of the three of them did anything on the intermediate sprints.

Edited by craigkillie

I read that Petacchi has to finish in the top 6 if Cavendish wins, but I think that was assuming that none of the three of them did anything on the intermediate sprints.

No doubt Thor will go hunting at the intermediates, which means Pettachi will have to go too. Can't see Cav bothering his arse, he'll just go for the stage.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

Contador gained 31 secs on Schleck today - the same amount he gained when he took advantaqe of Schleck's technical problem, so by any account he would have won by 8 seconds. Schleck, in fact, didn't have a good TT, but Contador was really well down on previous TT performances, which for a brief period made today almost interesting.

Simple fact is that Schleck never made a sustained, significant attack all tour and, therefore, got his just desserts - runner-up. Despite the closeness on time, I think that its been a disappointment wrt favourites this year, expect Hushovd to soak up any inter points tomorrow to completely deflate the final sprint. C'mon the Mavericks!!

Contador gained 31 secs on Schleck today - the same amount he gained when he took advantaqe of Schleck's technical problem, so by any account he would have won by 8 seconds. Schleck, in fact, didn't have a good TT, but Contador was really well down on previous TT performances, which for a brief period made today almost interesting.

It's not the same amount of time. Schleck had a 31 second lead going into the stage, after it Contador led by 8.....a 39 second swing caused by the mechanical.

Simple fact is that Schleck never made a sustained, significant attack all tour and, therefore, got his just desserts - runner-up. Despite the closeness on time, I think that its been a disappointment wrt favourites this year, expect Hushovd to soak up any inter points tomorrow to completely deflate the final sprint. C'mon the Mavericks!!

Your bang on the money there. Yesterday's TT was far more exciting than we could ever have hoped for or predicted.

The stats on long distance TT's (not prologue's) back up your claim about Contador under performing:

2007 Stage 13

Contador 7th @ 2.18

2008 - Didn't race

2009 Stage 18

Contador 1st

(Schleck 2nd @ 4.11)

2010 Stage 19

Contador 35th @ 5.43

(Schleck 44th @ 6.14)

My back of a fag packet conclusion would be that Schleck improved this year and rode a very game race but Contador wasn't in the form of previous years. If Schleck keeps improving then next year will be fantastic.

I love this. Alberto Contador has ridden 5 grand tours so far in his career and won them all. He's that good.

i hate contador. He's such a jammy b*****d. schleck deserved to win. Contador won the race on pure luck. Remember schleck was winning by 31 secs before his bad luck. If it wasn't for that incedent im sure schleck would have won but we'll never know now. :angry:

Edited by jojo

well you dont know that because his chain broke just as he made a significant attack. Dumb dumb!

anyway either did contador really apart from when he cheated and the other one when he only got 10 secs.

Edited by jojo

schleck raced from the front for most of the race and did everything he could to try and shake contador on the tourmalet. i said when franck crashed out it wouldn't make a big difference but i think i was wrong. a super mountain domestique could have made the difference for andy even if it was only to give him a bike when his chain came off.

Everyone needs luck at some stage to win the tour, Contador got his and he took advantage of it wether it was fair or unfair (it was unfair in my book) but there are no rules saying he had to wait. But as I said, he wins it by 39 seconds, the exact amount he took that day which makes both of them as even as any two riders in a tour have ever been as far as I'm concerned. As has been said, Schleck was a bit of a surprise last year, has been superb but unlucky this year....I already can't wait for next years tour.

Cav! Well done the big guy!

Contador can f**k himself. No- one's impressed. Schleck's not good enough.

f**k off lance! Hope that's the last we've seen of him.

Overall an enjoyable tour. Team Sky - :lol: :lol: :lol:

i hate contador. He's such a jammy b*****d. schleck deserved to win. Contador won the race on pure luck. Remember schleck was winning by 31 secs before his bad luck. If it wasn't for that incedent im sure schleck would have won but we'll never know now. :angry:

No he wouldn't. Schleck didn't have a big enough lead before his chain fell off. Even if Schleck had been leading going into the time trial yesterday, Contador still would have won. He is simply not good enough at the time trials.

Cavendish didn't deserve the green jersey after giving up on the 4th stage and as it turns out that may have cost him the green jersey.

Although today did show just how good Cavendish is and Hushovd really did look amateur. I know he was injured earlier this year but he was the only sprinter with a lead out man going into 600m yet he ended up finishing 7th.

15 stage wins by the age of 24. That is some fucking achievement by the way.

Of the current era Armstrong has the most with 25, that's over about 12 Tours though.

Don't think he'll ever get close to Merckx or even Hinault, but if he could have another 10 years, possibly more if he looks after himself.

He'll be getting my Sports Personality of the Year vote this year, again!