Procycling thread

myshkin

• 1 month later...

Tour Down Under 2019 gets under way tomorrow but looks like they might shorten the first couple of stages at least due to max of 41c Tue and 42c Wed then a slightly cooler 35 on Thu then 32, 25, 29. Might be wrong but think it's the first time, or first time in while the final stage is not in the Adelaide CBD but the McLaren Vale wine region and Willunga Hill. No idea who is in it but someone on a bike will win. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Detournement said:

From Murdoch to Jim Ratcliffe.

Just when you thought Team Sky Ineos couldn't get any more unlikable. Maybe Dr Freeman is going to move to Switzerland.

Bit of volte-face by Brailsford & Co, going from a sponsor who campaigned on #OceanRescue to that of one of the largest  Petro-Chem companies on the planet! #nurdles

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the absence of a "Random Cycling Races You Are Going To" thread I'll let it be known in here that I can get top the last three stages of this year's Giro.

I'm not sure I can be arsed with the final stage in Verona and the final mountain stage in Feltre might be a bit logistically awkward but I'll maybe take a half day from work to watch the depart in Treviso.

Any tips from folk about watching grand tour stages?

I took in one of the stages when the tdf was in the UK. Picked a village on the route that seemed quite accessible, got fleeced to park my car as it was chaos, had too walk up a huge hill in the scorching sun. I got there in what I thought was plenty of time, but missed the sponsors / freebie prosession.

Stood about for a good 45 minutes to an hour, with a few waves of excitement when a car came round the bend. The riders eventually appeared and flew passed in about a minute except for a few stragglers.

I still get the death stare from the wife and kids if I ever mention cycling..... so probably stick to eurosport as above :D

A mountain stage somewhere could be quite good as the peleton will be spread out more, but yeah its one of those at least you can say you've seen it if nothing else.

3 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Bernal out of Giro, broke collarbone in training crash.

Logically, Thomas should the replacement. However, with Froome looking a bit dodgy this season, he will stick to defending the TdF. Sivakov could be a decent plan B. 

Logically, Thomas should the replacement. However, with Froome looking a bit dodgy this season, he will stick to defending the TdF. Sivakov could be a decent plan B. 
Think Froome would have to ride himself into form over the 3 weeks & having gotten away with it last year; through possibly the most outrageous attack in cycling history.
I couldn't see him getting away with it again.
Nibali looked in decent nick the past few weeks, but could be tapering to peak just at the right time for the Giro. Valverde is out & Dumoulin is playing down his shape.
Watching Romandie just now though & Roglic is flying.