Procycling thread

myshkin

I thought the tour from two years ago was good, when it was a straight up battle between Schleck and Bertie.

agreed.

cancellara neutralising the stage, the cobblestones, schleck losing his chain and the battle on the tourmalet. plus lance having an utter mare and renshaw getting chucked out for a headbutt.

2011 was dire until the final week which just about redeemed it.

I'd like to see a return of the mountain TT in next years Tour, it doesn't feature too often. The one up Alpe d'Huez was crazy with the number of fans though, I'd pick a different climb. I can remember a tremendous mountain TT back in the 90's won by Berzin, can't remember the location though.

I've often wondered whether they could go back to having a TT into Paris on the final stage. I always find the final stage to be pretty dull until the last couple of laps of the city. The last few years have all followed the same formula - breakaway goes on ahead, gets reeled in with a lap or two to go, then Cavendish wins. Have watched the Lemond-Fignon one from 1989 a few times on YouTube and it was excellent viewing.

Why have they never had one again since then?

I'd like to see a return of the mountain TT in next years Tour, it doesn't feature too often. The one up Alpe d'Huez was crazy with the number of fans though, I'd pick a different climb. I can remember a tremendous mountain TT back in the 90's won by Berzin, can't remember the location though.

Just did a quick google, his only stage win was in 1996, a 19 mile TT from Bourg Saint Maurice to the ski resort of Val D'Isere. Good memory!

ashenden takes a pot shot at sky and garmin

First, there must be something to hide. Despite the self-serving data bending and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers even within ‘new age’ cycling teams. Personally, I don’t accept that the ‘dark era’ has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

When's the mens road race at the World Champs, take it Eurosport will be covering it?

it's tomorrow. i think it's on the bbc and eurosport.

the route - 267km

elitemensroadrace_1_600.jpg

ten laps of this final circuit.

juniormensroadrace_1_600.jpg

gilbert looked strong at the vuelta and is probably the favourite along with sagan, valverde, gerrans and sam sanchez. it'll be interesting to see how this tiernan locke character copes at the top level.

Edited by T_S_A_R

it's tomorrow. i think it's on the bbc and eurosport.

gilbert looked strong at the vuelta and is probably the favourite along with sagan, valverde, gerrans and sam sanchez. it'll be interesting to see how this tiernan locke character copes at the top level.

Britains best chance may well be with the likes of Teirnan Locke, as the other names will be well marked. Sagan for me.

Contador took his maiden one-day victory in Milan-Turin today. Must be considered a contender for the Tour of Lombardy at the weekend, in what is shaping up to be a fine race. J-Rod, Gilbert, Valverde, Nibali should all be in contention for victory.

Watched highlights of the Tour of Lombardy earlier & not for the first time it was run off in a downpour! Purito Rodriguez took the win, no doubt helped by Gilbert going down & out in a crash.

Love the look of the Giro route, looks pretty balanced, ideally suited to Contador, but will he ride & forego the Tour de France?

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what the odds of Renshaw now signing for Omega Pharma Quick Step are.